ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #170 February: Have we turned the Corner?

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Annie...I promise they will live out the rest of their days in peace..... as to the number of those days, that I can not guarantee....hehehehehehe.... Yes we do have to get together, uhm, as soon as the black stuff appears on the roads again!

All I can say about the weather is......... STOP!!!!!

I agree the snow pictures on the Christmas cards are absolutely beautiful. I agree a cardinal with a snowy backdrop takes the cake for ORV wildlife category.......... But SO DOES A POINSETTIA or a HUMMINGBIRD!!!!!!!!!!

I looked out and all I could say was..."AWE COME ON!!!"

***SLAMS door as she walks out to throw temper tantrum on Mother Nature*** **comes back in to grab the wine bottle from Taynors** **SLAM**

(Zone 5b)

Ric, I swept the wet snow off the little Direct Tv dish since it was out - when I can back in the house it was back on, yay! I was thinking about the title of this thread ORVG Coffee House - Have we turned a Corner? Um, YES, but it seems not towards spring!

First day of Spring is 3/20, wish it was possible to start gardening and planting on that day!

Annie

(Zone 5b)

Julie! Lalalalllalalalala, I can't hear you and know you're joking! The roos and hens will live happily ever after at your farm, stop teasing me!

I "used" to help butcher also birthed foals, calves, lambs, goats, I can still do the birthing, but no more butchering. If it has a name then I keep it for as long as it lives. Not a good farmer LOL

For the moment the snow is slowing down, hopefully we won't get much more.

the.... Stay Puff Marshmallow man blew up at my house

Thumbnail by

15 " and we are at a level 3
wish i got more wine
ROFLLL jar ! to funny , oh you so silly
oh did i mention single digits with high winds ?
looking out my back porch pic

Thumbnail by

anyone seen my BBQ ?

Thumbnail by
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Just a lot of Splat here.
Maybe 5" and mild winds for now.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

So far, not too bad here and we still have power! I haven't been outside, but maybe an additional 6-8" overnight and it's still snowing.

About those huge computer screens... I don't think I'd want to work all day at one, I just think they are cool. I work at a 17" screen on my laptop, but I can see if I were still doing engineering drawings a huge screen might be helpful.

Marcy, I found a cd with a couple shots of my woodstove taken in 2005 when it was in still stored Bud's basement. Here's the warming shelf showing the dragon. You can't really see the holes for inserting the drying bars. The stove was partially disassembled when I took these photos.

Thumbnail by darius

Here's one showing the folk art painting around the doors

Thumbnail by darius

that is a nice stove . i really like the dragon
watching P.Allen Smith
kids are at neighbors , later i will take her kids and we switch back and forth.
welp gonna go eat lunch
ham and eggs

Columbus, OH

Darius, I love the painted trim on that!

I'm trying really hard not to make Chocolate Molten Lava cake.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am so tired from doing absolutely nothing all day. I went outside this morning to get the paper,and the rest of the day has been spent indoors. I have read, napped, and cooked. Did a load of laundry, and that is it.

This is why i really really hate winter.

We probably got 6 inches of snow, but the wind has blown today and has rearranged it. Might have some drifts tomorrow. We are going to have church tomorrow, so DH will go out early and get the sidewalk at church shoveled.

Sue and Jules your snow is impressive. How much did you finally get? It snowed here until about noon.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well good evening all. What a snow! The official total for Darke Co. was 14 1/2 inches!!
Sometime this afternoon, the snow plow finally opened one lane on our road...but since we are still at a level 3 emergency...no one is allowe on the roads except emergency personell. Not that I was going anywhere...lol. We were lucky...our power never did go out completely...yaayyy. But a lot of others did around this area.
Today has been very windy, and there are big drifts everywhere. The wind is supposed to settle tonight, so maybe Dave can get the drive open tomorrow...I hope!
I realized I forgot to get my RLS meds filled on Friday. I wasn't sure if it would make a difference if I missed several days, so called the pharmacy to ask. She said it wouldn't...so I asked for a refill. The lady finally came back and said my insurance wouldn't cover it, because my dr had written the Rx for a 30 day supply + 11 refills. He needed to write it as a 90 day supply and 11 refills for them to cover it. Isn't that ridiculous???? So now..I have to call the dr on Monday, and have him call in a new Rx. That also means I will miss at least two days of meds. And I need to get it on Monday, because we have another big snowstorm coming in on Tuesday. Always something , huh?
Well ..the bathroom is partially put back together. We worked most of the day on it. How does one little bathroom have so much stuff in it?????? And for only two people??
The curtains I bought have to go back. Neither of us liked them. I took pics, but my batteries were low, and they didn't turn out. I will try again tomorrow.
Still have some things to do in there...little odds and ends.
Darius, thanks for the pics. I didn't know those were called warming shelves..lol. I have one on each side like that...along with the glove rods. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. The front of my stove doesn't look like yours though...no painting on it. Not sure about the dragons?
Dave had to go out and clean the snow off his Directv dish too. Happens every time!
Hi to everyone...and think spring!!! Has to get here sooner or later!!
Oh...and Celene...we had molten lava cake for supper tonight!! Yummy!!!

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Uh oh....a chocolate surprise...........hmmmmm.....I say MAKE IT!!! you can never go wrong with chocolate.

We finally got a break in the snow....14 inches later!..........Taynors, my yard looks exactly like that.....we didn't even get mail today because the mail lady wouldn't drive down our road.....the luck of living out in the boonies.

Ric, when do we get to see the new project you are working on?

gotta run, way past my bedtime.

Stay warm all.........

Columbus, OH

It finally stopped snowing here, too. The dogs are devastated, they love "snowplowing" and snorting and romping in the snow. The cats are ambivalent. I'm waiting for my French breakfast puffs to finish baking, and choosing some seeds to winter-sow later.

cake ,cake ,cake ,cake ,cake

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

BLINDINGLY Bright here and 14°!

Ric

Columbus, OH

My rotten cat pulled the cinnamon sugar tops off of every. single. one. of the breakfast puffs I made. Five minutes in the shower, and look what happens.

bad kitty cat !
i m so bored !
kids friends left .
i just needed a break from 4 kids in my house.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Oh my, Celene......when did your cat develop this problem?

What problem? the committing suicide problem! lol

Taynors....bubble bath and some soft music should bring you right back to reality...as soon as you get in the tub, the phone will ring or someone will knock on the door...guaranteed to put things right back on track! lol

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all,

We were very lucky with the snow storm. We only got about 4 inches of snow. It clung to every twig and branch and it is indeed a winter wonderland. Yesterday as we were coming home from Taylorsville In., the sun came out for about 10 minutes and it looked like sparkley jewels on each branch. It was beautiful!( And me without my camera).

I feel so sorry for the folks up East who are without heat . It's bad enough not to be able to watch the Superbowl, but to be cold and not be able to watch is real punishment.It's a shame that the snow shut down commerce in Washington DC, but didn't shut their mouths!

Have a good weekend everyone!!!~ Lou

i sure am glad i m not in Washington DC. yikes they got some serious snow !
jar to funny but ain't it the truth !
watching the game

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ric, I'm just catching up on your surprise -- that looks great! I love chalkboards.

Stella loves the snow, too. She had a great time when I took her for a walk yesterday. Emma is too thin-skinned to handle the cold and I couldn't leave her by herself or she would have freaked; she's like those flighty racehorses that have to have their stablemate with them. So, Sarah and Emma went downstairs to visit grandma while I sneaked the kid out with me. Even with Nancy, Sarah and Nancy's dog Hannah, Emma paced and whined the whole time we were gone. Sheesh.

BUT, Stella had a great time!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Later on, there was a two-dog pileup:

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Not far from us, out on Route 40 in Newark, someone measured 14" of snow. Jules, how much snow did you get? There's more heading our way, though nothing like this last snowstorm. There were times the drifts were up over my knees, and I'm 5'9" so we're not talking Marcy knees. LOL!

This message was edited Feb 7, 2010 7:53 PM

Thumbnail by gardenwife

GW that is so cute !
well i m off to get some things done
kids have a snow day tomorrow
i got to do some serious grocery tomorrow also
good night friends

Columbus, OH

Big "O" Refuse? hahahaha...only in Ohio. I love your dog pics, my dogs just run around torturing squirrels.

Indian food for dinner, I'm stuffed.

Pretty, GW. :) I love snow... fortunately I don't have to battle it to get to work now.

I will have to cancel my remaining doctor appointments for Tuesday at UVA; already made a back-up appt that was to be tomorrow. Yesterday Charlottesville had 20-30" of snow on the ground, and it was still coming down and piling up.

We are just home from a friends house watching the Super Bowl. I am not a football fan, but went along to enjoy the food and the company.

So today has been a day that I have been home a total of 2 hours. I will be busy tomorrow, getting laundry done, the house cleaned and packed to leave on Tuesday. Still watching the weather forecast for Tuesday morning, and if they are talking snow, may go and spend the night in Louisville tomorrow night.

Celene, you may have to hang a table from the ceiling on chains that you can pull up when you are going to be away for a few minutes. better still get a water bottle, and everytime the kitties get on the counter or somewhere you don't want them squirt them and pretty soon, all you will have to do it show them the bottle. They train very well.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Tried to paint a free standing cupboard in the bathroom today...but didn't get very far! Half of one side and the top are done....lol. Did get the mini blind up at the window...so no more black trash bag there.!! The guys threw away the old trim...and that had the blind brackets on it! We had to dig around and find some more to put up.
Darius...I STILL haven't gotten any pics...but did look at the stove. Mine has dragons on it too...but not the fancy painting you have on the front.
It took Dave all afternoon to blow off the snow on the driveway. He had to make many passes through those 4 ft. drifts. He was pretty worn out when he came in! Hope we can get out tomorrow and get my Rx and some groceries before this next big snow hits on Tuesday! The weather liars said it could be as big as this past one...or close!! Geesh...when will it end?????? Yeah yeah..I know...when spring gets here!!
Cheryl got moved into her new condo yesterday...and likes her new job...so she pretty happy again!
Looks like you all been busy too!
Uhhhh Kimberley...are you tryin to say I might be short????? LOL!!
Cute doggie pics!!
My cat laid in front of the stove all afternoon...warming her belly. She is such a lazy girl!!
BTW Kimberley, we had 14 1/2" inches here ...official total!!

Columbus, OH

My cats don't care about water squirting, you could hose them with the sink hose, they don't care. The young, nimble food-stealing ones were bottle fed, so I bathed them every day, they are oblivious. My boy Walden sits in the shower with me, even.

Well, Celene, that surely is a lost cause. You will have to find something that will scare them and use it consistantly. I had my Miss Boots trained to stay off surfaces in the kitchen in about 2 weeks. After that I could pick up that spray bottle, and she would just hunker down and cringe, no need to use it.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I had a naughty kitty snatch a piece of raw cubed chicken off a platter on the back of my counter when I was in the other room last week. I was alerted to the fact when I heard PUPPY'S toenails hitting the cabinet as she tried to grab the piece for herself. As I came rushing into the kitchen, kitty was in mid-air, fleeing, and Stella was rolling a wild eye toward me as she decided whether to pursue the chicken or skedaddle. She skedaddled.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Glad you got dug out Marcy!

Went to Krogers today.
Had to scrape 3" of styrofoam like snow off the car.

We went to Jon and Terri's for the Superbowl.
Nice thing is it's a 30 second walk home!

Jon won 200 bucks in the company pool!

We won nadda! lol

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!

We once had a cat take off w/ the Thanksgiving Turkey!
He weighed 20 pounds, the bird 13....

Luckily it was still in the bag!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Dave has issued his goodbye as Administrator Post.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1074451/#new

Ric

Columbus, OH

I'm so sad about that, Ric.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

GW - my deer hunter was here last night, and walked to the back of my property to put out some food for the deer. Since he walked all over, I asked him if he could tell how deep it was. It is hard to tell right around the house because of drifting. He said it was up to his knees in most places, so we measured, and it would be 16" ... I went to Kroger on 21st street yesterday, and just 3-4 miles away they have a lot less snow. So did Granville. I have not been over by Johnstown to see if they got more or less.

We have to get Josie and Stella together! They would have a blast. I have been taking her to the dog park in Granville when I don't have time to walk or don't feel well. There is a group that meets there between 3:30 and 4:15 that have all nice, but BIG dogs. Josie is one of the smallest. All of them play well. Josie gets a LOT of exercise playing with them. Probably 15 dogs on an average day. Terv's, G. Shep, Danes, Labradoodle, Labs, mixes... all kinds of dogs. People stand and shiver while the dogs run like crazy.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Are we really getting more snow??? I am about to cry... I can not handle this cold weather much longer....Yeah I know it is only February..... But I want to be warm just once this year!! lol

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You'll be fussing about the heat come August or September (hopefully! LOL). If you check the weather radar, there is some nasty stuff in Illinois and Iowa but it doesn't look to scary...yet...

It's hard to image Dave's without Dave but he says he'll stay a member. I've hung with him for 9 years or so.....I've also checked out the new adventure. :)

Kids have/had a 2 hour delay today. Hubby was out yesterday and didn't think the roads were bad but I guess everything that melted froze so ugh! Kristenne has basketball tournaments tonight and luckily they are at home. I just wonder if they'll get canceled. Carly's tournaments start Thursday night and are NOT at home. They were all rescheduled from Saturday when they got snowed out.

Hubby still hasn't heard anything about jobs. Grrr. He gets his last unemployment next Tuesday.

Joyce, did you hear anything about your interview? Not sure if I missed it or you didn't say.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.