ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #170 February: Have we turned the Corner?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070464/

Well it looks as if another month has come and gone.
Temps are moving toward normal.... days lengthening fast... and the Sun now has a bit of warmth on the face!

46 Days till Spring!

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Marcy Robyn says that sounds like every remodel we've tried here.
I absolutely agree....

The worst was when we decided to clean up some water damage in our little hall.
Just plop in a little dry wall.
Found massive old termite damage and had to pour new concrete because the had poured the old stuff around the sill.
A 20 minute job became 3 weekends....

Ric

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Remodels always yield some kind of surprise, and very seldom are they the good kind!!

Doing house hold stuff, always laundry to do around here. Went to church and did a little work there, and then to the bank and post office, and wallah, the morning is gone.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well..it's nice to know we aren't alone..lol. I guess maybe it wasn't as bad as Terry made it sound...they got it fixed...and put in new pipes. The sink is in..the toilet is in. The floor is down...the new trim is up. They went to put up the new cupboard above the toilet and it was broken..in the box. So now they are back at Lowes getting another one. The things were all supposed to be inspected BEFORE he picked them up..he said. So I imagine someone will get an earful up there at Lowes.
I will have trim to paint yet..but it's already pre-primed...so that's good. I can't wait to get things moved back in place!!
We are going to get an estimate on the utility room and hallway...for maybe later on this spring. I need a rest first..lol.
Tylenol is helping my toothache..so think I shall wait till tomorrow on that...as long as I can live with it. The tooth looks fine on the outside...but it hurts inside!
Oh yeah...Ric. That small area over our fruit cellar has some kind of insect/animal damage outside that Dave wants Terry to fix too. They say it's termites..I'm not so sure about that. Regardless..it does need fixed. I think we are supporting him now!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
We are going to get an estimate on the utility room and hallway...for maybe later on this spring.

Bet it's higher than before he found all the surprises.......

Congrats!

Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Shhhhhhhh...don't say that!!! He might hear you!!

good day to you all
busy morning
workout class
grocery
venders license ( didn't get it at auditors grrrrr , she didn't have the application so she told me to do it online grrrr)
other stuff too
put away grocerys
got lunch
to exciting isn't it ?
chicken is doing well. so far so good
iodine cures canibalism . they don't like the smell or taste so they stop picking on the wound .
well off to library to get my venders application. i guess.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Go Taynors GO! You can do it!!!
All this remodeling talk makes me think of the movie "The Money Pit".....I had one of those houses....one thing breaks and the walls cave in around you...fix the walls and the floors fall out..fix the floors and the plumbing goes...fix the plumbing and the electric shorts out....fix the electric......shut everything off and SELL SELL SELL!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

SUE! Didn't your friend tell you to do it online??? LOL

Columbus, OH

Sue, sequestering the chicken who's being cannibalized works for the chicken who's hurt, but watch for other chickens to start seeing feather loss, because when the cannibalizing chicken loses her favorite victim, she'll choose another. I do not find that iodine works, but I have heard others who say it does...I hope it works, otherwise it's bad news for the cannibalizing hen.

Celene i wish i new which chicken it was so i could put her in confinement .
no other chickens seem to have any injurys ? so far but anything can happen .
i m waiting until the wound heals and then will put her back in.
got my venders license
Thanks Jar !
Chelle i can't remember . ? LOLLL duh "my bad" can't believe i forgot that !!!! holy mole quacamole. sheesh . slap me silly .
but i did it ! so welcome to more taxes !

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Coq au Vin.........

Ric, you are too funny. Sue is dealing with a real problem, and all you can think of is something to make of the culprit!!

Did some errands today, bank and post office, library. Then went to the church to work a bit. We are having a Valentine's day dinner, and put on some festive table cloths, and did a bit of decorating. Then home to laundry and straightening the house.

Joyce have you heard from your interview? Gosh, I am getting anxious for you to hear something.

Chele, has Craig heard anything on his many intervieiws? Still keeping all of you job seekers in my thoughts and prayers.

Celene you seem to have lots of knowledge of chickens, bet you have lots of experience.

Marcy, hope that all that can go wrong has happened, and all the other work will be problem free.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well...the bathroom is FINISHED...not. LOL! Their part is finished. I still have woodwork to paint, a cupboard to paint, and putting it all back together!
Ric...shame on you...poor chicken little.!!
We went shopping when they left about 2:30 pm. They were going to put up the cupboard over the toilet, and it was broken. Soooo..back to Lowes they go. They had to go through several boxes before they found one that wasn't broken! Then...I had to call him on his cell...to remind him to buy a grab bar...and a shower rod. I wanted a shower rod that was screwed into the wall..instead of the tension rod. Well..he comes back with a tension rod....of which I have several already. Granted...it is a nice one...but!
Sooo..tonight when we were out shopping, we stopped at Lowes....and looked. Yes..they had the screw in kind. He told us he didn't see any...lol. I think...at the end...they just wanted to get done and outa here. They left so fast, we didn't even get to ask about doing any more work! That's ok...I'll catch up with him...as soon as I get over this job...LOL! May take a while! My bath does look nice though. I wanted shutters at the window...bottom half. Do you think I could find any????? Not unless I want to special order them...which I don't!
Soooo...I bought another shower curtain like the one I hung up...and will make my curtains to match. More than one way to skin a cat!
I think,...tomorrow..that I am going to have to call the dentist and see if I can get in. Not looking forward to that! But my jaw is hurting...and I can't live on Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
So thanks everyone for bearing with me through this mess!

Edited to say...I will try and get a picture tomorrow.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2010 9:33 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I know Bonnie and I love to tease Sue.
Actually all in all though it's a chicken.
EvaMae had some rooster issues over on Healthy Living.... one rooster left.
I raised meat rabbits.... trouble makers go.... period. No behavior modification.
There are plenty more. Not cruel just farming.
When we raised chickens we had one rooster and the rest of the males were capons.
Can't do much w/ cannibalizing hens but debeak them.

Marcy hope you're about done!

We've started cleanup and cabinet placing.
The ones stacked and the freezer come out.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Columbus, OH

I've worked in the veterinary field for 30 years, but rarely with chickens; we had them growing up, and we have had a few pet chickens, but not a lot. Cannibalism and feather picking are common in lots of species of birds, though.

Ric and Robyn, the trim around that door looks fantastic, the whole room is impressive.

Marcy, I hope that your dentist visit goes well, hopefully they can get you more comfortable.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Celene!

Slowly but Slowly....lol!

Yes this mystery bird will have to go. I will send it over to Rics and we can have dinner :)
i don't see any signs of infection yet so that is good. I cut her feathers since the honey was just getting in them. poor thing . looks like a punk rocker from the 80's LOL
cold today
we got snow last night :(
have a great day

Phil saw his shadow today ! 6 more weeks of winter :P

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, I think Phil needs to die, LOL!

Marcy, congrats on the new bathroom! I'm not there yet, nope didn't get it done before the weekend- kept running into snags. At least the tile is all done, walls and ceiling painted, and the tub is usable! Now its just getting the trim up and painted and the vanity and toilet set.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

NEAL! That poor groundhog. ROTF

Marcy, do you belong to any freecycle or cheapcycle groups? I think you could find a set of those shutters. Another thought is those habitat and remodel resellers like Ric goes to. I'm sure someone would have a set. Might be tricky getting the right size... We are looking at a house that has a big window by what would be the older kids bathtub and I'm thinking shutters too!

Bonnie, no news on the jobs yet. No offers but no thanks no thanks letters either. Sigh.

Chele, I am praying for Criag to get one of those jobs. This is just nuts as qualified as he is, and to be unemployed so long. Oh, are you all looking at another move?

I am with Neal, Phil has got to go.Don't know that there are any culinary delights that can be made from ground hog. Did you all see where Sara Palin has proclaimed a ground squirrel as Phil's counterpart in Alaska, as Alaska doesn't have any ground hogs?

Well, need to get busy.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Chele, are you going to sell bedding plants this year?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The bank apparently wants this house more than we do. We did a special forbearance and made 1/2 payments for six months, hoping we'd qualify for a modification (the Obama "making home affordable" deal). Well, we did qualify for a modification but not one we'd take. It would add about $17,000 in debt on to our mortgage. We'd owe $148k for a house we bought for $126k (almost 5 years ago) and have less time to pay it off. If they put it on the market now, they'd likely get $80k or less for it. You'd think they could do the math... Because of the job loss, we filed for BK in 2008. It turns out we are not legally responsible to keep this house and it reverts back to the BK without doing any further damage to us or our credit. Our lawyer said to live here until they boot us out.

In truth, we'd probably stay here if they gave us a reasonable solution. We can't/won't take on the added debt because the house needs so much $$$ work. First it was the AC unit, then the main water line, then one thing after another until the plumbing issue last month. There are mold issues because the land stays so wet 6 months a year and now the walls just crumble in places. I guess 35 years of puddles can do that. The double pane windows have lost their seal and the wood on them mildews. It's just too much to deal with constantly and I worry about our health.

Didn't mean to type a novel. LOL I just didn't want anyone to think we were being TOTALLY irresponsible. Not a lot we can do with what we've been given. Neither of us can even get a low paying job. Grrrr.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I figured you were getting near that point Chele.
Hate to heard it.
There are many home opportunities back down here in the neighborhood.

As for the Ground Hog...
Stew at My place... 6:30 PM ... Casual Dress... BYOB... Hot Tub opens at 8 PM

Ric

Ric, I will be there at 8:00 for the hot tub, give my stew to the neighbors!!

Columbus, OH

I'll be there. I'll even bring a veggie curry. It's been "one of those days" already. LOL

I just had to order soapmaking supplies to restock my supplies after the holidays. *gulp* I'll be carrying a lot of 50 lb. buckets of oil and boxes of fragrance very soon. I need to reorganize my supply shelves before they arrive.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

lol...groundhog stew....my great grandmother said she could make a stew out of anything...but when my grandfather said he was hunting groundhog she kindly took back the offer! but the hot tub sounds good.
My opinion on the whole situation:
I won't swerve to hit one but I won't swerve to miss one either!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOLROF!!!! You guys are too funny!! But I certainly agree with Neal and the rest of you...Phil needs to DIE!!
Chele...I hate to even tell this...but would you believe...we HAVE shutters...buried somewhere in the barn! Dave says clear at the back! Ric knows!! LOL!
Ok...and lest I talk bad about Dave...you all won't believe this one either! I am repainting the bathroom...as soon as I go get the paint!! All that running we did yesterday..to find just the right things...colorwise. The paint just doesn't look right with the floor....and so the shower curtain and etc. doesn't either! Soooooooo.....too much trouble and expense to change the floor...so the paint has to be changed. Dumb me...buying paint without a floor sample with me. I thought it would go...even after I started painting. The more we look at it...nope! You don't know how much I DON'T want to paint that again...lol. Oh well...it was my fault..sooo....you know..things 'happen'!
Celene...I am gonna try and put off the dentist..at least another day...holding my breath as I type that!!
I have had groundhog stew before. It really wasn't too bad, if you could just get past the thought of it...lol. I had a hard time!
Chele...I'll keep my eye out on freecycle and maybe craigslist too. Didn't know there was cheapcycle. Will have to check that out!
Well...guess I better check my other forums...and then get some lunch...and then...BACK to Wallyworld I go!! Geesh!!!

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Badseed.....isn't there something about black mold causing houses to be condemned? I agree, your family's health comes first. T&P for a good job coming your way.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy, what color paint did you get and what do you need? Can you exchange it or have the color altered?

Yes, there is cheapcycle and if there is not one for your area, start one! Another option is craigslist.

I'm looking at our situation as a good thing. With real estate, you don't always know what you are getting, until you got it (or been had). LOL I think the realtor and the previous owner had an obligation to tell me about the flooding and poor soil, especially since they knew the purpose but I guess the sale was more important than the ethics. Around here, the drainage issues are a big joke. Any local can clue you in.....

The only bad aspect is the actual move and the timing. I just want to get to where I'm going and stay there. We've had no sense of "home" for a very long time. I'm a planner and a do'er and I need to work hard. I really miss that. I'm not sure my marriage is going to pull through this one. I need to get us out of this constant limbo and enjoy life. I don't need tons of money for that, just a home, consistency and a decent job so I can provide for my kids. :)

I just typed all of that one handed. LOL Nolan doesn't feel good and we have an appointment this afternoon.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Don't knock eating groundhog. During the depression, my Mom and her farm family ate a lot of them. She says they are really very good. Something on the order of eating rabbit.

When I was married, my Ex used to hunt groundhogs for the local farmers. He would skin and clean them, soak them in salt water in the fridge overnight, and take them to work. Several of his co-workers really liked eating them, and would pay him $5 for them.

Mom does tell this joke...
Mom - Have you ever eaten groundhog?
other person - No! of course not!
Mom - you mean you have never eaten sausage?

(Ground Hog)

but she really ate groundhogs in the depression. What little pork, chicken etc they could spare, they sold. They lived on what ever the younger children could hunt. The older children had to work the farm, which left the younger ones to hunt, fish, trap etc for the family meat. Times were tough - they had to do what they had to do.

Now that I am not working, she reminded me that she would still remember how to clean game if it came down to me hunting for meat for us. Hopefully that won't happen!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

G'Day... I figures P Phil saw his shadow because when I went outside to feed the barn cat, we had new snow overnight, which was not in the forecast! Naturally I didn't have on my boots since I had a shoveled pathway to the sheltered spot where I feed Gracie.... and consequently I slipped and fell. Good thing deeper snow is soft, and my clothing will dry!

Chele, prolonged dual unemployment can be bad for any marriage... same goes for extensive total house renovation while living in it... but the good ones always make it!

Not much going on here. Planning to finally fix the vent pipe for the plumbing at the other end of the trailer. When they over-roofed years ago, they redirected the old vent pipe clear across to the back of the house and then up, rather than go straight up through the new roof. Probably whatever wife was here at the time didn't want the 'ugly vent pipe' seen from the road. So right now it runs horizontally (between the old and new roofs) for about 18 feet and then up, with two 90º turns in the run. Duh.

We have a new Lowe's store opening much closer, probably only 25 miles or so away. I don't know if it's open yet, but I pass right by 2 Lowe's stores next week when I go up to UVA for tests again, and will stop for PVC parts. I just hate the thought of getting up on the roof to cut a hole and install a new pipe boot. Far cry from the days when I'd walk about setting rafters 2 stories in the air, LOL.

Taking Chele's reminder... there's a Habitat Resale store about a hundred miles up the road, and I think I'll stop by on my trip next week. For over a year now they have had a sink I want that's just been sitting, with a high price tag on it. If I could get it for half, I think I'd buy it. I bought my door there (the one I put in to close off my end of the house)... a new pre-hung 6 panel interior door, $20. There was no trim, just the jamb and door, and not nicked or beat-up at all. I thought it was a good deal.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Chele...can't take it back..used it all...lol..well most of it. I painted a pale lavendar. The flooring is a stone look with gold and pale yellow in it...and I thought...some lavendar??? Don't know where I got that...because there is NO lavendar in it...duh! Geez...besided being blind...I must be going color blind! I have always been good at blending and matching things...but not this time! Soooo..I went to Wally...got a pale yellow/gold. Got the same in a bath rug and seat cover. Couldn't find a shower curtain at all...so bought some curtains..not sure if I will keep them though. Have to see them up first.
I waited 20 minutes for someone to mix my paint. Had them paged on the loudspeaker 3 times...no one came. I went to the service desk and asked for a manager. The manager mixed the paint. Then I went to the deli to buy one of those already roasted chickens. None in the case. Asked how long on the ones in the rotisserie. Was told they were for a special order, so none available! I tell you..I was so disgusted with that place!! If I hadn't wanted that particular paint, I would have left and gone elsewhere.
By the time I got home...too late to start painting...but I did try it...and it will look GOOD!!
I am so ready to be done with all this. My house is a mess! So that's my story for today!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Um, well, let's see. Purples and yellows are contrast colors on a color wheel so you were planning on keeping it lively and.....(how's that sound?) LOL I would have bought the shower curtain first with several colors in it and gone from there (but that is just me). :)

I'm stuck with blue shower tiles from the tub to the ceiling.......well, this month anyway. hahaha

Count to ten Marcy. Eat something fattening and gratifying. Tomorrow is a new day.

Thanks for the encouragement Darius.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy, I had the same thing trying to get paint for my bathroom- 3 times had them make a call on the loudspeaker, waited over 20 minutes and no one came! We ended up in Lexington for other things anyway, so I got it at a Walmart there, only to get home and find they gave us satin instead of flat! I hate going there anyway, but I do like that paint (Sherwin Williams makes the WM Colorfast paint) and its way cheaper than any at Lowes. At least the tub and tile are done and I can use the tub, LOL.

At least the weekend prompted getting the mess all cleaned up, but I'm over the home improvement chaos- it's time to sow seeds!

Darius, don't ya love the Habitat Restore! It's my new favorite place to shop, LOL.

Geez Chele, that keeps your hands tied from getting too involved in any horticultural endeavors for business or for pleasure! Its good you're thinking of it as a good thing- I just have to believe you'll be lead to a "real" home through all of this, and I really feel attitude has so much to do with making that happen. Love and Hugs

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy, did you try Target (store or online) for a curtain? They usually have a good choice and sometimes great bargains in clearance.

It'll work out Neal. Or I'll be sending one kid each to a few friends until it does. LOL

Remind me to tell you about two houses I found and which slipped through my grasp. Sigh.

Gotta run a kid to basketball. BBS

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Yep Chele...HAD a shower curtain that had pale yellow in it..and lavendar...a little green...it was so pretty. It also had the stone color in these big blocks. Well...it just didn't look right with the flooring. The flooring is big blocks...and the curtain was too...and it was just too much...that's all I can say. You would have to see it to know what I mean. They are both nice...but not together.
Neal...same here...time for seeds!!! Heck with house! LOL!
Did I also tell you, that all my faucets,etc are chrome...and I have a gold light fixture above the sink???? The guy asked me if I was keeping the light...and I said well yeahh...he could have reminded me it was gold!! It did finally hit me...lol. Dave said well we can change it. I said I will paint it to match the walls first and see how it looks. So..I just finished priming it. That's all for tonight!!
We had Paella for supper...and no...I didn't make it. Well..I did put it in the microwave....LOL! It was good too!!

Edited to say...no, Chele...haven't checked Target. There are none around here anymore. I will look online though...hadn't thought about doing that! And Neal...I think attitude has to do with anything and everything!! Even though I sometimes forget that ...lol!!!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 7:08 PM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I can't believe you bought ugly paint and a shower curtain that clashed. OMG and clashing hardware. Ewwwww. I can *so* never go potty there.

(ducking for cover!!!) ROTFLOL

Gotta finish dinner.

well i had a frustrating day .
Had a cleaning lady come ( yeah i know "poor Sue" don't hit me :P ) and she took 6 hrs to do the upstairs . ok and she didn't even do the main floor up there yet ? uhg ok its not that big either ! its a loft for crying out loud. sheesh. she washed the windows 3 times . a whole roll of paper towels , used the whole bottle of pine sole . and a whole bottle of windex . Tomorrow she comes to do the downstairs ! i think i will just do it myself ! i don't have the patience for that i know i m terrible but that is to long to clean a house that ain't to big .
suppliers are hard to get a hold of. The one i really want has hydrangea and they are all discontinued ! except for their patented ones. gee cant blame them . ?
then i helped our neighbors birth goats. Frustrating to say the least. the barn was just to cold and no towels ! ? no heat lamps, no nothing !! cold colostrum formula , we did have B12 shots, helped a little
mom goat had triplets and we lost one , don't know if the other will make it ? but one is doing fine. mom hasn't lost her after birth ? still just hanging ? don't baby goats need warm ! it was so cold in that barn.
they are really nice people but ???
so i m mentally pooped
Chelle i m sure praying for you guys ! T&P and big (())))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.