Anyone know what kind of palms these are?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by Kell
noonamah, Australia

Looks like Phoenix canariensis, Canary Island Date Palm.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Tropicbreeze!

But they are so stocky! Th etrunks are huge and so fat. And are not growing tall. This is what confuses me. I am sure they are very old. Also the trunk kept the hatching from the the tails of the fronds falling off unlike most of the Canary Island Date Palm around here.

Maybe what I have been IDing as a Canary Island Date Palm is incorrect. Is this one?

Thumbnail by Kell
noonamah, Australia

I thought they were a bit stocky at first but there is a bit of variability. Check out this site:

www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Phoenix/index.html

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

the palms in the first photo have about an extra foot or more of leaf bases left on the trunk making them looking extra fat... but if you get them off down to the solid trunk, they would look more like the tree in the lower photo.

MIssion Valley, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi palmbob.

There's a street running right in front of Disneyland I stay
on every year lined with great mature palms, mostly
Phoenix canariensis.

However, there are whole rows of "lookalikes" I wonder
about. They look really skinny and tall but similar in every other
way...a couple blocks in on the park side of Rt.5.

I am guessing I have the the "reverse impression" to Kell,
i.e., in South Texas people leave a lot of trunk and I have
never seen one truly shaved down? In fact, there are towns on the coast
here where they are cut to look like gigantic pineapples--as
wide as they are tall.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Hybrids are super common... just drive around Los Angeles and you can find dozens of 'skinny' Phoenix canariensis, that probably have reclinata or more likely, roebellenii or dactyilifera in them. Hard to know for sure with some if it's just variation, or hybridization

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you all fo ryour help.

Here is palm I have looked at for 30 years. It doesn't seem to grow taller but just gets fatter and fatter. Is this also a Canary Island Date Palm? Its canopy is so wide, really huge. But on a short and stocky trunk.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And these are all over too. Short again and oh so wide for having such a short trunk.

Thumbnail by Kell
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

yes, both Phoenix canariensis... the first photo is of a palm that has either had severe bud damage, or has been pruned up top multiple times (my guess is bud damage).

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks PalmBob, so this one has so many different looks.

Here is one planted right by the road, bad choice. They have to keep it so pruned. So striking with such orange fruits.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It seems there are 3 main ones planted here in the Bay Area then. Phoenix Canariensis, Washingtonia robusta, and Trachycarpus fortunei. Oh and Syagrus romanzoffiana is a fairly new popular one I am seeing all over. A real beauty!

I saw a row of this one outside an older home. They were blue ones which I never see here unless I am at Inge's house! Do you know which they are? Butia capitata but doesn't that one have a fatter trunk? And I do not see the leaves recurve in. Maybe Butia paraguayensis? I struggle so trying to ID Palms.

Thumbnail by Kell
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Those are Phoenix, too, though look more like dactyliferas.. hybrids perhaps?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for helping me PalmBob.

Here are some other shots of the last one, the blue one. Maybe they will help your ID.

Another one. There were about 8 of them in front of a house.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Another one, center shot.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Another one again with fruits showing.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Dates

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

More dates.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And the trunk. Interesting enough, this particular one had little palms growing all the way around it in pockets in its trunk.

I hope these extra shots help.

Thumbnail by Kell
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

still looks like some form of dactylifera. very common to have smaller plants growing out of sides of dactylifera

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The so orange was so pretty with the blue.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.