Looking for a white shade plant

Kurten, TX(Zone 8b)

Hello all,
I have a garden facing east that is full of elephant ears. This summer I often wished there was some variation of color, because all that green with no break was overwhelming and monotonous. This area gets less than 3 hours morning sun and lots of water. Caladiums would repeat the same leaf shape as the ee's and I don't find that desirable. Any suggestions?
Linda

This message was edited Jan 30, 2010 11:21 AM

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi - a few of my favorites are - they all do well in shade, and like moist soil - but they do need good drainage.

First is Hydrangea "Annabelle"

Thumbnail by dax080

And next are Phlox -

Thumbnail by dax080

And Astilbe -

Thumbnail by dax080

And impatiens are always colorful in the shade - they are particular about the good drainage, though - here they are annuals, but for you, they may be perennial -- not sure - as you can see, I surround my elephant ears with them --

Hope this helps - Dax

Thumbnail by dax080
Kurten, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you so much for the suggestions and pics Dax, you have lovely plants. The impatiens in red and white are really stunning, had not thought of them! I think thats my answer. Will post picture this summer. That Annabelle hydrangea is something I will have to find a place for - so very pretty.

Would love to see the pics! I'll watch for an update -- Dax

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

cyclamen, aquiIegia, dicentra, clethra, hellebore

I have Annabelle, they are new for me so no blooms yet.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

White Caladiums are the bright spot in my shade beds.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I have pink Dicentra (Bleeding Heart) in my shade garden, but they also come in white. They can make quite a splash in late May. They do die back as summer progresses, but by then my Annabelles have taken over and I don't notice the disappearing Dicentra. I don't know if the white variety gets as tall as the pink, but it's worth a try. The area in my photo gets a lot of water runoff from the roof, which keeps the Annabelle's and Bleeding Heart happy.

Thumbnail by pastime
Lovettsville, United States(Zone 7a)

There are hostas in different colors and a new one that is white. I like hostas though, so I am somewhat biased :D

Kurten, TX(Zone 8b)

We had a real winter this year after several balmy ones. It got down to 20 and stayed there for 12 hours, which seems like nothing to those in cold areas. But here it zapped lots and lots of lovely tropical plants, my ees and bananas were hit the worst, thought I lost them. Just now they are opening up but half did not make it. So it is not a large expanse of green anymore. But I have taking your alls (trying not to say yall lol) , advice and planted bleeding heart and Annabelle, they are small right now. Thanks Alexis, but I can't make hosta grow here, think its the heat, and that really disappointed me last year when I ran across the Guacamole hybrid at Walmart .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.