Orange Freeze Damage

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Will these oranges live? :o( I'm in S. TX and we got temps down to about 20 degrees a few weeks back. These were too tall to cover. We're worried and wondered if there's anything we can do to make sure they do live!

They are Satsuma.

I had posted a picture of them with fruit (healthy) a few months back here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051596/#post_7214281

Thumbnail by Ladyborg
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

A closeup pic:

Thumbnail by Ladyborg
Gainesville, FL

It looks like the trunk/branches are still alive, you may loose all the leaves, but I would think they should grow again once the weather warms up. Satsumas are one of the more cold hardy oranges.

Good luck!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Ya. They look much better than mine and mine are going to make it. Leaf damage means nothing. If the limbs turn brown and brittle then that could be a problem. You might see that on the end of the limbs were it is green small new growth. They are more susceptible to cold than the larger limbs that are starting to grow bark. I had a Miho satsuma that took 11 degrees at my farm and is still alive. All the ones at my house took 14F and look almost as good as yours.
I suspect you will even have a regular fruiting year as well.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2010 2:10 PM

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Yours look a lot better than mine. I lost all the leaves but the limbs are still green. I had some fruit still hanging after the freeze but I picked them all off last week. I think yours will make it just fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.