January Weather - Winter Wonderlands of All Kinds

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1069950/

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon! Góðan daginn! Guten tag! Bon jour! Buenos diaz! God dag! Did I forget anything?? lol

Thanks for the new thread Kelli :-)

hmmmm I posted this morning but it's nowhere to be seen, not sure what happened there. I have total mental block and can't for the life of me remember what I wrote this morning ...... arrrgh ... waving hi to everyone! lol

It rained this morning, but it's been dry this afternoon and fairly calm. high around 40°F / 5°C.

Selma is feeling better, the antibiotics seem to be finally kicking in.

Iceland has made it to the quarter finals on the European Handball Championship in Austria by beating Norway today 35-34!! :-) I missed the game, which is probably good. Judging from the final scores it must have been a nailbiter. As you can imagine the nation's getting handball fever ;-) lol

Adina - so sorry you're still without water. I can hardly imagine how uncomfortable that is :-s Hoping for a thaw soon and certainly hope the pipes won't burst.

Celia - Monty's pilates is just too funny! lol Who's the cutie on the beach?

Another rerun from Jan 2007

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new thread, Kelli. :-)

I'm so sorry your pipes are still frozen, Adina!! We'll be praying for a warm front to come through, and that the pipes don't burst.

Ric, my parents live just south of the Muskingum River, and they work in Marietta, where the Muskingum meets the Ohio. They live way up on a ridge, so their house never floods, but they often have to find different roads to take to get to town when the water is up. They have a good friend who lives on the bank of the Muskingum in Beverly, Ohio, and although her house is up a fairly steep bank, the water has reached it several times. I'm pretty sure I would have moved after the first time!

My "little head cold" has turned into a miserable sinus infection. Ugh... I think it's starting to break up on its own... otherwise I'll do the the doc-in-the-box in our Walgreens tomorrow and get an antibiotic to hurry it along.

We have another chilly front coming through tomorrow. Earlier in the week, they were predicting lows in the 20s for Saturday night, but now they are just saying the "lower 30s."

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:15am CST (16 min ago)
Temperature 64 °F 18 °C
Dew Point 57 °F 14 °C
Humidity 77%
Pressure 30.09 in 1019 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH
G 21 11 kts
G 18
Wind Dir ESE 120°
Ceiling 10000 ft 3048 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 59.0°F / 15.0°C

Today Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight Cloudy. A slight chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the evening, then showers and thunderstorms likely after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s. Southeast winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent in the evening increasing to 60 percent after midnight.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Marylyn, I'm your neighbor to the east, in Baytown. Yes, I was happy to see the forecast temps bumped up a notch. I am definitely ready for consistently warmer weather. Of course, after about the second cold spell, I'm ready for Spring. I'm just anxious to get stuff in the ground. Hope your sinus problem gets better soon.

Don

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, Don!! Welcome to the weather forum. ^_^ I'm ready for spring, too!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Rann, you forgot "Buna dimineata!"LOL
Kelli, don't tell me it snowed in California!!!!!!LOL
Marylyn, take care of that sinus infection and get well soon. How are the bunnies?

Thanks everyone for your caring words ! The plumber just called, it's on his way to our house. Keep your fingers crossed so he can get the pipes thawed.
Adina

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Howdy do! I wish I could speak another language. Sounds like you guys are having fun!

I'm behind, but I skimmed thru all the posts. Too many to comment on, but I commented in my head!

12º and it's going to get colder each day.

Most of our computer stuff has come thru UPS and Fed Ex. All we need are the modem, router, computers and monitors. I hope to be up to speed by Feb. 11th, after tweaking the settings and learning to navigate.

(Zone 5a)

Ah, I didn't know that one ... always learning something new! Buna dimineata!

Sure hope the plumber can get your water running again Adina!

Marylyn - hope your sinus infection clears up soon.

Don - Hi and welcome to the forum.

I heard a blackbird (blackthrush) singing this morning! Seems pretty optimistic to me, but I sure enjoyed listening to him :-) Definately ready for spring although it's a looooong way off here.

Rann

(Zone 5a)

Sally - we crossed. Hi! I know you'll be happy when you'll get the new computer set up :-)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Rann, Selma is the third person I've heard of on Dave's to have a really sore throat. My sympathies. It's hard on kids. I'd rather have one and spare them. I hope your days are going well.

(Zone 7a)

Rann, the cutie on the beach is my grand niece, Rainey.

From last year.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kaló mesiméri and A gute nakht

28° (Wind Chill 18°)
Taking a quick break while the paint dries.

I had to pull the Greek Good Afternoon/Evening off the internet as I don't have my keyboard set up.

Never learned to read Yiddish so didn't know the Anglicized spelling.

In case it ever comes up.......
Mayn shveb-shif iz ful mit veners. (My hovercraft is full of eels.)

Ric

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello all, and thanks for the welcome. I am a 63 year old codger, but have been away from gardening for far too long. As a youngster, we had a garden that covered close to two acres. I vividly remember walking through the garden with a salt shaker. I hit the radishes, carrots, tomatoes, a few beans or peas, then maybe a cantaloupe or small melon. Ah, the memories.

As I was working outside yesterday, I heard several Mourning Doves. I love to hear them. Another thing that brings back childhood memories.

Adina, I sympathize with you and your frozen pipes. One of the most miserable times in my life, was crawling under our house in 20 degree weather, with a blowtorch, thawing out pipes. We had been out of town, and when we returned, everything was frozen; even the water in the dog's water dish in the kitchen.

Don

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
Kelli, don't tell me it snowed in California!!!!!!LOL

The picture was taken in California, in the Sierras (Sequioa National Park). It snows a lot there. I'm sure Crissy can tell you more about it than I can.

Quoting:
Iceland has made it to the quarter finals on the European Handball Championship

Yay! Iceland has something to be happy about!

Quoting:
My hovercraft is full of eels

What can you say to that?

Marylyn, I hope you get to feeling better soon. A sinus infection is only slightly less worse than a sore throat.

Someone asked the other day if subterranean termites are worse than other kinds. I don't know. They probably don't eat your house any faster than any other but it appears that they have to be treated in a more extensive way. The guy was here for about 4 hours, but he's done now. I'm glad it doesn't smell. The living room smells bad enough from the epoxy DH used to seal up the wall/window where it leaks. I don't know why it smells so much when it is outside, but that's how it is. DH can't smell it at all, he says.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PST on January 28, 2010
67 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 31 °F
Wind: 15 mph from the North

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Buenos tardes, everyone! ("good afternoon" as opposed to buenos dias which means "good day") Now enough with the foreign languages because that is all I know of Spanish! LOL

Welcome, Don, to the weather thread! We hope you will stay around--sometimes we have folks to pop in for a while and then we don't hear from them anymore--don't know if they just "lose" us when we switch from one thread to another or if they just find it hard to keep up with our craziness here--LOL. Since I am among the oldest here on this thread, if not THE oldest (68), some of the "young folks" around here call me "Mau" (for "ma"--the spelling is a story in itself) so if you see them referring to "Mau", you will know they are talking to me. I love it!
Ah, fresh veggies straight from the garden--how lucky you were!!
Rann: so glad Selma is feeling better.
Marylyn: so sorry about your sinus infection--get better soon! 64F would be very welcome here right now. It is currently 34 on my back porch and supposed to drop to 29 tonight with ice and snow. :o((
Gee, Ric, what are you going to do with all those eels? Forget the eels, what are you going to do with that hovercraft? LOL
Celia: what a cutie pie Rainey is! Love the lobster hat!!
Sally: 12F--brrrr and it's getting colder? double brrrrrr!
Kelli: lovely starting photo! Thanks for the new thread!

It was in the mid-40's when I got up this morning. It is now 34 on my back porch but feels colder because the wind is blowing slightly. We may get up to 2 inches of snow which is a lot down here but the bad part is the freezing rain that is supposed to start before the snow comes in.
We'll see if the weather folk are right about all this. Stay tuned. . .

Just a quick note : we have the water!!! The plumber managed to heat the pipe and the ice melted. He used a hair dryer. I took pictures to show you.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Another one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

And the pipe with water running...although it seems ice, it's not just a bad picture!

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yayyy!!! ^_^

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the welcome "Mau". I plan to hang around for a long time now that I've found DG. What a neat place! The problem is there are so many great forums to be a part of. I can see where it would be easy to be overwhelmed, trying to keep up with so many threads. I have already started the weeding process. I found DG because I was enlarging my fish pond from bathtub size to about an 8" x 10" x 2 1/2' deep pond, and I needed some advice on some things. Got it too.

I have always loved weather watching. I have several real time apps on my computer such as a cool radar with feed from the NWS. Since we are in hurricane alley, I pay very close attention during the warmer months. The eye if Hurricane Ike passed directly over us. Talk about eerie...

Adina, sure happy to hear they got your water going again, obviously with no pipe damage.

Don

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Welcome Don!!! Great to meet you!

YAY Adina!! I am so glad you got water!!! Awesome!

Go Iceland Go!! Woo Hoo you can probably hear the cheers all the way from here!

And yes, it DOES snow in California. The San Joaquin Valley where I'm from, the last time it snowed there was in 1976, I was 4. It is no where near the ocean but the bottom of the valley floor where Modesto is, is at 85 ft above sea level. It snows just west of Modesto on the Altamont Mountain just enough to see it from the valley, that mountain is 1200 ft above sea level. Ya'll here of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, right? That mountain range goes way above 10,000 ft above sea level, which is also above the tree line (trees quit growing at 10,000ft because they can't get the oxygen they need up that high.) I-80 gets socked in all the time in the winter from just east of Sacramento all the way to Reno, US 50 gets socked in just east of Sacramento all the way to Carson City Nevada, and there are state highways 4 and 88, both of those always get socked in too. It also snows just North of Redding CA where Mt. Shasta and Lake Shasta is, those are huge mountains too.
Now, down toward Kelli where the Grapevine Mountain is that separates the San Joaquin Valley from the San Fernando Valley gets snow also. Bear Mountain is the southern part of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range that is very tall and gets lots of snow, that's just east of Los Angeles.
So there's your lowdown on California snow!

We haven't gotten any ice yet, they say that we're supposed to get it after midnight and tomorrow morning. I'm not planning on going to work, but we'll see.

It's sleeting!! Good, it's starting tonight!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice to meet you too, Crissy. Stay warm.

Don

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hooray, Adina has water again!! It looks like you might have some stucco repair to do, though.
Well, Don, it is good to know that you plan to stay around. You are correct in saying that you could get overcome by all the forums/threads available. You just have to decide which ones appeal to you the most and stick with those. I mainly stay here on this weather thread and also on the Mid-South Forum. I have made many good friends here on DG. Ric has a fish pond and so does Kelli and you will have to ask Joey to tell you all about her wonderful job. :o))

Chrissy, thanks for the info about the mountains and snow in CA. My aunt used to vacation at Mt. Shasta almost every summer. She loved it there. It looks like you won't be going to work in the morning according to what the weather folk are saying. The temp. hasn't fallen any on my back porch since I reported earlier. It is still 34F and no precipitation so far, but the weather folk are saying it will start here around midnight or so.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Full Moon Clear and 18°.....

Welcome Don!
We just got done doing a pond deal much like yours this Summer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157621934933281/

I started laughing when I saw the Hovercraft phrase as where I worked we made steering gear boxes for the military's....
Never know when that phrase might come in handy! lol!

Adina that's GREAT News!
Hope there were no problems w/ the pipes.

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

22* and feels like 12*. NE wind at 9 mph. Most of the snow will be just south of us. We will be on the very edge of the storm.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Chrissy, how is it that it is sleeting at your place and not here? Of course, you are a little west of me but I thought this was coming from the Northwest, not the Southwest?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Quote from henryr10 :

Welcome Don!
We just got done doing a pond deal much like yours this Summer.

Ric

Cloudy and 60 degrees. (How do you get that little "degrees" sign?)

Thanks Ric, You pond looks terrific. I hope I can get mine looking half that good. What I need is some larger boulders for my waterfall. I used several large flagstone pieces sitting on concrete blocks for the water surface. Then smaller rocks along the sides to channel the water. I don't have a waterfall box like yours either. That would be nice to have. Also, I am just now starting to get some plants. Here's a pocture of what it looks like right now. Remember, I started this little project about two weeks ago and have had several days of cold and rain.

Edited to say, my old preformed liner is in the back ground. I cut it down, thinking I could make a base for my waterfall, but it just didn't look or sound right.

Don

This message was edited Jan 28, 2010 8:51 PM

Thumbnail by dgal
(Zone 7a)

"My hovercraft is full of eels." I'm still laughing over that one! LOL

Welcome, Don!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin' All! :D Well, we're due to get the snowy weather late this afternoon. Ric, our drive way is still running w/water...it's on it's way to you! :D
Partly Cloudy: 27°F
Feels like: 19°F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 10°
Humidity: 50%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 6 mph NNE
Sunrise: 7:29 AM
Sunset: 5:44 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
the warning is...SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATION EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY... they're calling for 8" now, & according to the weather guys we won't get any of the ice. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Welcome to the weather forum Don! Since you like ponds & weather, this is the place to be! :D btw Nice pond!
Mau, LOL! I didn't even wear a sweat shirt! :D It's so hot & humid in there I tend to get too hot. We were informed that we had the place Tooo clean! LOL!
Kelli, I guess we all have you to thank for this wet weather we're getting! Thanks! :D I love the snow, but I wouldn't give you 2 cents for the ice. Glad that you have gotten the termites under control!
Adina! YAY! I'm so glad that you got the frozen pipes taken care of....a hair dryer! Now who would have thought!
Rann, Glad that Selma is getting better. I'm like Sally...I'd rather me be sick that the 'youngens'. I could handle that much better.
Sally, You make sure you let us know when you get all you 'puter' stuff hooked up! I know that you're excited to finally get a new one! :D
Sharon, How is your weather? I know you're lurking! :D ~~~waving~~~
Kiska? Got anymore of those gorgeous alpenglow pics? Love them!

Stay Safe, everybody! And have a great day!
Joey

(hopefully by tomorrow I'll have some more snow pics!)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Don: your pond is looking good. Do keep us updated on any further additions to your project.
Joey: "too clean"---some people are never satisfied, huh? LOL
Waving to the rest of you~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I am quite sure that Crissy is sleeping in this morning. Our freezing rain/sleet/snow event was delayed by several hours--must have stalled over Oklahoma. However, we have already reached our high for the day--when I took Friday (note to Don--that's my dog's name) outside at 5:30 a.m. it was 29F on my back porch and the precipitation was a mixture of rain/freezing rain. However, it is now 26F on my back porch and we are having a combination of sleet and freezing rain. This will continue throughout the day,with things getting worse as the day progresses. We are forecast to get from 2"-4" of snow in central Arkansas with the northern counties of the state possibly getting from 8" to 12" of snow. All the schools from the central AR area northward are closed--not that it is that bad now but in anticipation of the worsening weather conditions throughout the day. There are already several accidents reported on the freeway coming in to Little Rock from the Conway area (35 miles to the NW). People around here just don't know how to drive on ice-covered highways and roads!

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Cooled down here as well ..... Currently it's fair, 30°F/ -1°C, light breeze from SE at 3 mph/ 5 km/h. Beautiful day. Can't remember when was the last time we saw the sun shining.

Crissy and Kelli - thanks for the well wishes. We desperately needed something to be happy about! Since they got silver at the Olympics people are hoping for gold this time .... that would be nice. But regardless of their placing they've done an excellent job :-) Interesting about the snow in California .... reminds me of a Fawlty Towers episode when the american coulple stayed at the hotel. The woman was telling Mrs. Fawlty how wonderful the climate in California was - "you can swim in the morning and then drive up into the mountains and ski in the afternoon." "must be rather tiring" was Mr. Fawlty's reaction. lol I love that show. here's a clip if anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q9oNAkpc7Y&feature=related ... the weather discussion is about 2 min. into the clip .... the american's in the dining room start 30 sec. into the clip .... the screwdriver bit is pretty funny too ..... It's a brilliant show ....

Don - very nice looking pond! :-)

Ric - lol eel in a howercraft ..... lol

Adina - yay! you got water!!! So glad there wasn't any damage to the pipes.

Kelli - hope that's the end of the termite problem.

Joey - glad the visitors were happy and everything went well.

Have a good day!

Rann

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I just went out and took a photo of my front sidewalk--and they say this will continue all day. I can only imagine what it will be like by the afternoon. It is sleeting pretty heavily right now in my area.

Rann: I love those British comedies--they are hilarious!

This message was edited Jan 29, 2010 8:09 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I just finished going outside and filling up the bird feeders. It is now snowing heavily although the flakes are small. The entire yard is almost covered with snow
now--and within the last 30 minutes. If this keeps up, well.......we will see!

(Zone 7a)

Good morning! I'm up early today. My brother and I are going to have breakfast and run some errands. He broke his glasses and needs to get them replaced. He paid off his car yesterday and wants to celebrate! Woo hoo!

Don, love the pond. Someday...

Mau, stay warm! Are your plants going to be okay? How does Friday like the snow?

Ran, I LOVE Fawlty Towers! LOL John Cleese is hilarious. Thanks for the link.

23.2 °F with 38º for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 23 °F
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 18 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.27 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 100 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Frosty again today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Gonna have like 100 % of snow here... 24*...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Don!
Your pond looks GREAT especially w/ only two weeks work!
The rocks are easy to come by up here....
can't dig 2' in most places w/out hitting clay and limestone. lol!
Add all the areas where they have blasted for hwy's and ramps.

Here's where we bought the falls filter/box and our liner.
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/pond_waterfalls.asp

Here's the unit we purchased.
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=BEC-7168810

I'm not recommending them as I have no idea how good their shipping record is...
They are local for me and we just stopped by and picked up our stuff.
I will say that their warehouse, though just weeks from a move to a larger location, was clean and well organized. I worked in shipping for 23 years and that does say a lot about a company.
(BTW to get the ° symbol
hold down ALT and type 248, numerical keyboard to the right, and release)

The temps are very cold here at 16° WC 5°.
We might hit 23°.
The snow is all south of us.
I can see it on the radar about 60 miles below us.

Here's the Warning we're under.
-------------------------------------------------------
the flood advisory continues forthe ohio river at cincinnatiuntil sunday morning.
at 5 am the stage was 47.8 feet. flood stage is 52 feet.
the river will continue rising to near 48.4 feet after midnight tonight then begin falling.
at stages near 48.0 feet, flooding occurs east of the city near
california, with some flooding near coney island and riverbend music
theater.
------------------------------------------------------------
I'll head out later to see what's happening.
The severe cold is locking up the smaller tributaries east of us and holding back some of the stuff we were supposed to get in this push.
If Joey and my Friends in WV get their 8" of snow then either a quick thaw or heavy rains we'll see another flood soon.

Here's part of the painting project we're doing out in the Sewing Room.
The Sliding Door deal worked out better than we had hoped.
It will be tomorrow before we can complete it.... it has to cure...
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

ALT - 248. Got it and thanks Ric.

We had a squall line come through at around 5:00 this morning; lightening and thunder and fairly heavy rain. Bo (my Australian Shepherd a.k.a. Frisbee Dog) jumped up into bed with me, shaking and panting. Such a wuss.

It was 60° (Cool, it works!) when I got up around 7:00, and at 9:30, it is 55° and dropping. The squall line has passed, but looks like some light rain coming. No pond work today.

Speaking of ponds, thanks again for all of the compliments. My previous pond was about bathtub size. Here is a photo from Last summer.

Don

Thumbnail by dgal
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
They all start out that way..... then just keep getting bigger.
Do you have Koi?

Don you might want to consider making a Skippy Filter.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/4314048986/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157623182754861/

There are plans all over the internet.
Here's the best one I think.

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

As for Monty Python all I have to say is Ni!
Ric

This message was edited Jan 29, 2010 10:46 AM

Good Morning! Yes, we are not working today due to inclement weather.

You've gotten snow already Mau?? I want snow too!! LOL

It was coming from due west headed due east. That's why I got it before you Mau. It was sleeting almost all night here.

Here are a few pics I took this morning:

Thumbnail by crissyr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.