Nuts For Petunias 2010

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

That is a beautiful petunia!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

very different colors. Is it free flowering or do you have to be diligent with deadheading?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is the 1st year that I am trying the Prism Sunshine petunia. Anyone have some comments on that one? I'm thinking it will be a wicked color combo with the blue wave

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't know if Creme Brulee needs to be deadheaded. I bought 3 of them at Home Depot and they come in specially marked 1 gallon containers. It states plants will mound to 15" tall, 15" wide. It lists companion plants are: New Guinea Impatiens, Marigolds, Geraniums, Lobelia, Rudbeckia, Cannas, Verbena, Bacopa and Alyssum. Home Depot also had two other petunias in this series: "Orange Zest" and "inc-RED-ible". The other neat plant they had from Viva was Argyranthemum "Miss Daisy". It was a neat plant because the blooms open a bright pink, fade to yellow and then whiten as they mature. Therefore you get several bloom colors all on the same plant.

By the way, I had to look up "Prism Sunshine" Joanne. That is one nice looking yellow/white petunia. Love the color because it would look great with soooo many things.

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

I'll be interested in the color of the P. Sunshine. I didn't find them to be as sunshiney as expected. Mine were pretty pale last year.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Total Madness seedling in pink.. the bloom is only about the size of a half dollar!

Petunia with a pet! LOL!

This is in a basket in my livingroom under grow lights!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

It looks massive in comparison to your pet. Have you given that lady a name?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The Stokes sowing instructions for petunias are the BEST

CULTURE: We use pure Jiffy Mix in our seedling flats, rather than soil mixtures - for better germination. Fill the flat to within 1/4 in/6 mm. from the top and firm (especially the corners), so you don't get erosion when watering. Soak the seed flat thoroughly before sowing, with luke warm water (70ºF/21ºC) and a good fungicide to prevent disease. Mark the rows 2 in/5 cm apart, and 1/8 in/3 mm deep, 1/2 in/13 mm wide - with the edge of a label or a marking board. If you are sowing several different colors in the same flat - it might be a good idea to place a piece of cardboard across the flat on both sides of the row that you are sowing - to prevent mixtures. Broadcast the seed as thinly as possible in each row. Press the seed firmly into the surface. We do not usually cover with soil - as some colors are light responsive. If you believe in covering the seed - use coarse vermiculite - it retains moisture and allows enough light for proper germination. To conserve moisture, cover seed flats with plastic, glass or paper. For ideal germination soil temp. must be 80º F/27º C (air temp. of 86ºF/30º C days and 65º F/l 8ºC nights). The soil temp. must not drop below 70º F/21ºC. Use bottom heat if possible. Seed will germinate according to color (pinks, blues and whites first - reds last) in 5 - 1 0 days. Do not use cold water- it lowers the soil temp. and weakens tender seedlings. Uncover your seed bed at the first signs of germination, to prevent tall weak seedlings. Grow seedlings cool at 65ºF/l8ºC. Transplant 4 to 5 weeks after seeding, 1 - 1 1/2 in./3 - 4 cm. apart, and at the same depth as they were when in the seed flat. Grow at 55 - 60ºF/l 3 - 1 6 ºC. for stocky plants.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Gosh, Joanna...you must have been reading my mind. I really appreciate the time you take do copy all of this info for us "newbies" to starting from seed. This is the first year ever for growing all these flowers, as in the past, I have only sown seeds outside, like nasturtiums, and calendula, or in the case of tomatoes, I have started them before, but not in many years. I got out my old seed tote....yes, tote! Once I learned that old seeds can be germinated...well I bought new seeds as well and now I have twice as many but many things I did not have.

I first had to sort them. First I got all that could be W/S'd, as many will have to have that, even if I do it in spring...they will just have to go outside as I do not have the space to grow everything in the house, since I do not have a GH. After sorting hardy annuals from Trudi's WS list, then I sorted all perennials. (Alphabetical...I would figure out when to sow them later...) I have all these different books and of course DG's wonderful members who contribute so much to helping us get things going...I have been trying to chart out which things need an early start, but have failed miserably on many counts, as some should have been started in January....

I seeded cellpacks with petunias, but probably should have used the clear fruit pack containers, as the first batch has germinated, but I am having to watch them so closely that they do not dry out. The cell packs I have are the standard retail nursery containers so they are probably too large to do such small seeds. The tomatos I started in the plastic "seed beds" and then transplanted them into cell packs and they are doing great. The petunias....well some of them may have dried out. They are still under lights, but not heat and covers off. Should I put the bags back on them so the don't dry out, or would this invite damp-off? I have watered with chamomile tea w a bit of peroxide, to start, and so far, nothing has damped-off...

The seeds were from Swallowtail Seeds and are Aladdin Blue, and Aladdin Yellow. I have more....I need a bit of guidance, as I hate to waste any seeds...but they are so tiny...

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Joannabana, you are a petunia goddess. Love your flowers!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Joannnabana,

What type of container are you pink hanging petunias potted in, in the first picture in this thread? They look so full, that I am wondering if they are really all potted in the top or if some are side planted. It is a stunning picture either way.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Those are Supertunia Vista Fuchsia & Supertunia Double Peppermint (no seeds available) Pic End of May

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mid June

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

End of August

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mid September

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Wow. I never would have thought that it would grow like that!

Very neat pictures showing the evolution of that hanging basket over the summer. I couldn't post pictures like that on very many things. Many of mine don't evolve!!! LOL Took a photo of my hanging basket this morning. It's the first time I've had some success getting a hanging basket to really fill in and expand nicely. It has involved watering it every couple of days and have been fertilizing it every 7-14 days. Been much better at making sure to keep it fertilized this winter. The cooler than average temperatures, this winter, have probably also helped. We're still running 5-10 degrees below normal, which is very unusual for mid/late March.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

WOW! All these beautiful petunias. The pictures here are so inspiring. My seeds are planted and have yet to sprout. My containers are waiting. I've got to make sure I have some fish fertilizer ready for when they start sprouting. I am sooooo ready for that!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful colors Jon.

Thanks. You can grow petunias, in the summer, in the Florida panhandle Pamela? I just assumed Petunias were not possible in all parts of Florida in the summer. You can grow and keep the calibrachoas going down here, somewhat, in the summer, but the petunias start to wilt and eventually die in early June.

Jon

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Jon,
I don't know yet how they will grow. Maybe with noon shade. I have seen them growing before, but I really don't know which months, temps, or shade versus sunlight it was. This year I will sure be paying attention to mine. I'll find out what they may be able to handle.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nice hanging basket Jon. Yep, petunias are fertilizer junkies. To get the looks with tons of blooms you really need consistent fertilizing. I always use slow release fertilizer and in August, I also use a bloom booster since by then the root system is large and they just need the extra boost to keep going.

Thanks Joanne. I took your advice on fertilizing and applied it. Makes a big difference.

I'm not sure when would be the right time to sew and grow in your area Pamela. That's a tough one to figure out. You couldn't start seeds and plant out in the fall because you get quite a few frosts/freezes in the winter. You can start them in a controlled environment (greenhouse) and plant out after your last frost date in late winter. I'm just unsure as to how long they will bloom into the summer. Might as well give them a shot and see what happens. The advantage down here is that things can be started in mid September and your not likely to have a killing frost. It gives you a good 8 month long growing season from mid Sept - mid May on tender annuals.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I want that basket of petunias Jon. Absolutely gorgeous!!!!! So all I have to do to my baskets of super petunias is start hitting them with liquid fertilizer every 7 to 10 days????

The fertilizer definitely helps. I think the cooler winter/spring we've been having has been great for them. Sunny and 68 degrees today. Normal high is 82.

Calgary, Canada

I just got home from Mexico and my Pretty Much Picasso are blooming away under the lights!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Do you start fertilizing them once they get their true leaves? Mine are still quite small.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2010 1:23 PM

This message was edited Apr 6, 2010 1:36 PM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Putting my last falls seedling backet out this day. It bloomed all winter!

Joan, we rely on you for your advise on the fertiliser!

I have been using Super Thrive on mine.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi,

I fertilize seedlings once they get their 2 set of leaves (or 1st true leaves) with a diluted fish emulsion fertilizer once a week. Fish fertilizer is a foliage & root fertilizer (both)

Where can we find this "fish food" Joanne?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is one of the best brands: http://www.neptunesharvest.com/

I would think any garden center, home depot or walmart would have a type of fish fert.

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Which petunias have you found to be the most fragrant? I'm loving all the advice & pics!

Thanks!

Tomah, WI

joannabanana- I hope you don't mind a lurker jumping in with a question. I grow petunias (or at least try to). Plant with time release fertilizer. Deadhead almost every day. Water every day. They grow, bloom & look great till about late July. Then they get real straggly, lots of brown on them, & very little bloom. They usually are dumped by early August because they look so bad. I hate that! They are a favorite of mine, but with such a short season here- May-Sept. I hate to loose them before I have to. What am I doing wrong????
I didn't read every post to this thread, so I hope this hasn't been asked & answered too many times already!
Your petunia photos are absolutely stunning! You truly are the Petunia Queen!
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

just saw this thread & have to say I love them all too! Everyones pics are amazing!
I just got full sun starting last year when a tornado came thru & took my big tree, but I'm liking the sun so far. Have planted some beautiful roses & have a few petunias. I have large pink waves in a coconut liner hanging basket that is BEE-U-TIFUL and some large white ones with Crimson Star out front in a bed. I'd love to try these from seed. As a matter of fact .. mother's day is right around the corner ... maybe I need to get that small green house I've been wanting!

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

I picked up Viva Creme Brulee, Burgundy Madness, Plum Crazy Madness, Royal Velvet Supertunia, and Vista Bubblegum Supertunia. I already had Raspberry blast Supertunia and the local normal varities.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

2racingboys, now that one I like.. I dont like that other one,.. cant think of its name, but its to blotchy by comparison. The one you have is nice and defined in its design stripes! Nice vivid color.

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

mattsmom...joannabanana will pop on to reply soon (she is the Petunia Queen), and while I'm not in your zone, I believe I have read that petunias don't do well once it gets hot. I think people cut them back, hide them with showier plants for the time being and the petunias revive when temps cool down a bit....Someone please correct me if I'm way off base.

And...as for your short season, I'd take May thru Sept any day! That's 6-8 weeks longer than I get to play with...LOL

Tomah, WI

Chocolate- I guess I shouldn't complain about our growing season. Yours is much shorter. I guess it is just zone envy on my part! I do follow your adventures with your glorious lilies on the lily forum. I can't imagine having to chill all of those bulbs. Your pix are always sooooo gorgeous! Thanks for the info on the petunias. Becky

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.