Recipes from the Mount Bethel Jan 23rd seed swap

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Sharing your recipes will give us another dimension in our culinary repertoires, and these will be tried and true.

(do I need help with any spelling?)

Thank you all again for your contributions to our dessert table.

Teri

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Easy toffee bars
1 cup butter 1 cup packed brown sugar
saltine crackers
1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate
Chopped nuts(if you want)

Preheat oven to 375°
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat melt butter with brown sugar; bring to a boil, continue stirring till thickened and remove from heat.
Line 9X13 or jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and coat with Pam
Arrange crackers (salt side up) single layer . Pour butter mixture over crackers.
Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crackers. Bake for another 5 minutes.
Spread the melted chocolate over all crackers, top with nuts.
Put in freezer for an hour
Break apart and store in air tight container

Sounds too simple for such a spectacular result, Jen. Definitely a keeper.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2010 4:40 PM

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I cheated - the orange/cranberry bread was a mix.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, But it was a great mix. Do you remember which one it was?

Teri, I'd love to see your Lasagna recipe. Your garlic bread was yummie too.

Jen, That toffee was delicious.

Ronnie92, Your cookies were absolutely to die for. I didn't try the ones with the peanut butter cups, but I'm still eating some of the others. I would love it if you would share your recipes for the other 3.

Stormy asked for the lasagna recipe. So many versions. Here's mine:

Lasagna......most important in the sauce:

couple cloves of garlic (I like extra) and some chopped onion sauteed in good amount of extra virgin olive oil.

2 large cans of San Marzano Tomatoes (I had the Cento brand) put thru sieve.

1 can of tomato paste

fresh basil

fresh oregano

fresh italian parsley

salt

pepper

cook together low for not more than 45 min.

boil lasagna noodles til 1/2 cooked

cook sausage in oven til brown and drain fat slice thin

sautee chopped meat and drain

whole milk mozzarella sliced

MIX IN BOWL:
whole milk ricotta 3 lbs
3 eggs
salt
pepper
chopped parsley
grated locatelli cheese (lots

BUILDING

small amount of sauce in bottom of pan

one layer of 1/2 cooked lasagna noodles

spread chop meat on layer

spread sausages slices next

drop spoonfuls of ricotta over sausage & chopped meat.

layer mozzarella next

spoon on tomato sauce (not to heavy, just here and there to moisten all over, otherwise the whole thing will become a sliding mess) you add the hot tomato sauce on top after it is served on plate.

continue for at least one or two more layers.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2010 7:47 AM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Teri, That's not too tough a recipe. Your's was one of the best lasagnas I've ever tasted. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I agree, it was very TASTY.

Stormy, it was a Betty Crocker mix.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Jan, I'll have to pick one or two of those up. It's always good to have those on hand when you're getting unexpected company. It helps to know which ones are good.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I like keeping those mixes around just in case the cravings hit me.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Those cravings hit here alot.

Did I miss the Hawaiian chicken recipe? It was wonderful.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Betty Crocker muffin mix is a must have in my house lurking, drooling

Hawaiian Chicken

boneless chicken breasts cut into LARGE cubes
dip in egg then flovored bread crumbs then fry.

SAUTE IN MOSTLY BUTTER: LOTS OF BUTTER BECAUSE IT BECOMES PART OF THE SAUCE (PROBABLY BETTER IF YOU SAUTEE IN LIGHT OIL FIRST AND THEN MELT BUTTER IN AT THE END.:
sliced baby bello (crimini) mushrooms
onions
DRY white wine
crushed pineapple
fresh ground black pepper
salt

If you make ahead, don't pour the sauce over until you are ready to bake it in the oven.

Very simple and good taste.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2010 9:58 AM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That was delish!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Just printed it out. Thanks

East Stroudsburg, PA

Hi,Stormy,
You asked about the cookie recipes. Two came from Paula Deen at Food TV.com. They are Gooey Chocolate Butter Cookies and Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies. The others are from Martha Stewart.com and are Outrageous Chocolate Cookies and Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies. My trick is to do the batters all in one day, then refrigerate them and bake them when I need them. It seems to keep the mess at a minimum. I use only Dutch process chocolate and they seem to be much richer-tasting.
Enjoy, Ronni

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Ronnie. They were all very rich tasting. I particularly liked how thin they were too. They were a wonderful contribution, thank you for making so much effort!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Definitely liked those cookies.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stopped here just to check the new postings, now I'm really starving. LOL I hope Jessica post her chicken salad recipe that was very good also. So much food so little time.:-} Ric

Thanks Jen!

This message was edited Jan 26, 2010 4:40 PM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric, I hope you're going to post that killer chocolate cake recipe.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Do you mean Jessica?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I couldn't figure that one out either and I missed the chicken salad!! Shucks, chicken salad is one of my favorites. Not that we didn't have more than enough to eat.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Jen, I did edit my post. Stormy it was very tasty and sitting just in front of me, so I was forced to have a second taste. LOL Ric

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't mean to disappoint anyone, but the recipe is easy it's the way you assemble the parts that matters. Prepare your fave dark chocolate cake for a layer cake, I use a triple fudge mix, but a scratch mix with Hershey's dark cocoa would be very tasty. Cool well for easier handling. Use a premium cherry pie filling between the layers, this is when you would infuse the cake with Kirschwasser (cherry liqueur) if you choose to. Using a straw you can insert the liqueur into the cake, (a kitchen syringe would work well also). Then ice with your fave dark chocolate or fudge icing. Before the icing has set shave chocolate over it, as much or as little as you like, and garnish with a few reserved or leftover cherries. No secrets, just great cake. Ric
You can sub amaretto of cherry marnier for the liqueur.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

When Jess gets home we need her chicken salad recipe. Ric

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

YES!!!! Thanks, Ric.

Thanks for the easy recipe Ric. I will put this together for my grandsons' visit this weekend. I was fortunate to have Jessica's chicken salad once before and also enjoyed it after the swap. It REALLY is outstanding.

Ronnie, I would definitely try to fit in some of those cookies for the boys also. They were simply marvelous.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ronnie's cookies WERE wonderful. Look at all of the fun Jessica is missing!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

how did I completely miss this thread???... I am a slacker!!!

here is the recipe I use for the cupcakes ..

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/chiffon-cupcakes-recipe/index.html

but I always doctor up the frosting - the raspberry & lemon are usually the quick disappearing ones.. Randy liked the orange one I did too

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/garden-cupcake-frostings-recipe/index.html

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

so I am thinking the Hawaiian Chicken & Black Forrest Cake would be nice additions to my dads birthday party in 2 weeks!!.. thanks guys!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Allison, I had one of the lemon ones for breakfast the next day. It was good. I'm sorry that I didn't also try an orange. Those are my favorites. I also liked Roses' garlic bread I thought it was yummy.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

all the food was yummy!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes it was!

I missed the cupcakes!!! How'd that happen? That means I'll need to bake them. Hope they come as good as yours Allison.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

almost like angel food cake texture... I really like em

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

R_R_R, Remember how much I liked those stuffed bell peppers? I asked if you made them or bought them as I had seen them in the grocery and had wondered about them. Well, last night I picked up a jar of them at the store. Ric, came down from bed this morning to see me standing over the sink eating one. He asked what I was doing and I said Having breakfast. LOL

I do the same thing with those stuffed peppers or anything that looks good in the morning.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Me too. Leftovers make a great breakfast!! I love fish for breakfast. It's great brain food.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

eeekkkk

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Bagels and lox, baby!!!! ooooo or whitefish salad, YUM!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.