Blues anyone?

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

What is a good blue iris? What is your favorite? I sometimes get iris for the wives of Handsome Man's business associates, and many of them were talking about blues last fall. Seems like someone had one that was almost navy, but now I don't recall.

Adding a picture of a pretty NOID that a co-worker gave me. How come sometimes the NOID's are my favorites? Well, that's a thread for another day...

What's your favorite blue?

Edited to add that now that I see the thread, having that picture there with the Blue Iris title looks kind of stupid. LOL

This message was edited Jan 23, 2010 5:25 PM

Thumbnail by McGlory
Lebanon, OR

Sea Power

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Navajo Jewel

Thumbnail by dd95172

Feature Attraction

Thumbnail by dd95172

Rippling River

Thumbnail by dd95172

Shore Patrol

Thumbnail by dd95172

Speed Limit

Thumbnail by dd95172

Acoma

Thumbnail by dd95172

Joyfullness

Thumbnail by dd95172

Last Hurrah

Thumbnail by dd95172

Indigo Princess

Thumbnail by dd95172

Titan's Glory

Thumbnail by dd95172

Clarence

Thumbnail by dd95172

Stairway to Heaven

Thumbnail by dd95172
Cherryvale, KS

Happy Sunday BIF's!! Hope you are enjoying this beautiful sunshiny day! LOL I have a hard time with favorite! If I could do that, I wouldn't have soo many iris! Here is a picture of Heartstring Strummer! Enjoy!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Oh Nicky I can't wait to see that Heartstring Strummer you sent me bloom. It is WOW.
Steph

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Wow! There are some beauties here. Thanks for posting.

Raleigh, NC

It would be a toss up between Bye Bye Blues, Heartstring Strummer, and Calm Stream for the blue/white combination that I adore so much.

For a solid blue, I think Open Sea and Uncharted Waters and Blenheim Royal. Gotta add Blenheim because it grows the best here of the three. Have not yet grown this, but I went agaga for Lake Effect, a JI. It's an incredible lovely shade of blue.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Bonjon I have seen some of the most incredible blues and purples in the JI's. I am so hoping the ones I am testing for Polly make it as would love to try more.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The siberians have some lovely blues too, Steph. LOL. Next on the agenda to test.

Lake Effect is a very slow growing JI. It is a beautiful color, but lot's more that color that are more vigorous.

Raleigh, NC

can you recommend some, polly? I know strut and flourish is similar, though not quite that same shade.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I would recommend Blue Mandarin from Ensata hybridizing. The pictures may not look the same, but they are very close in color. If you look at Ensata, the Lake Effect has never gone down much in price. Indicating that they don't get good growth from it either. I've had Lake Effect since 2004, and it is still small. I tried to divide it last year to give Mittsy a piece, and it just fell apart. It probably has been the worst JI I've ever had for growth, although not for beauty. I've had Blue Mandarin one year, and have divided it already.

Other good ones, Don And Donna, Kimono Silk---more white in it, but still the beautiful sky blue, and very vigorous, Michio, Sugar Dome, again more white in it, but absolutely fantastic.

Raleigh, NC

Blue Mandarin was not in bloom when I was there, so I haven't seen it. Michio was, and I have it as a possible purchase. Thanks for the recommends.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Blue Mandarin would be the closest to lake Effect, I think.

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

Abiqua Falls is my favorite light blue, and an excellent grower here, as well.

Thumbnail by KSBaptisia
Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

Waterdragon is a wonderful mid-blue. Sea Power is even prettier, but it is not the most vigorous grower here

Thumbnail by KSBaptisia
Raleigh, NC

thanks Polly

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Babbling Brook is a good light one. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Taylorsville, KY

Yaquina Blue is really nice, lots of buds, opens 2 or 3 at a time, very tall, strong stalks.

Sue

Thumbnail by MissIrisbert
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Color Me Blue (Schreiner 1997)

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Memphis Blues (Schreiner 1987)

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Light Blues.... On Line

Thumbnail by naomimade

.. and another light blue... Above The Clouds

Thumbnail by naomimade

.... and reading the post that started this.... Speaking of NOIDS.... I wish I knew the name for this pretty little blue iris....

Thumbnail by naomimade
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

So many beautiful Blues.
Barbara Jean

Thumbnail by rebloomnut
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Breakers

Thumbnail by rebloomnut
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Hit & Miss

Thumbnail by rebloomnut
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)