MORNING GLORY AS A PRIVACY FENCE COVER

Charleston, SC

I am looking for recommendations for a morning glory seed to use as a cover for my privacy fence. I have already chosen Bright Eyed Girl because it is a self climber and provides a solid cover (not straggly at bottom). Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

What kind of vine is Bright Eyed Girl?

Maybe you could plant a low hedge of marigolds to cover the bare area the will almost always appear on MG vines? Butterflies will be attracted to the marigold flower nectar as well. Just a thought. Do you like blue? Heavenly Blue is relatively inexpensive and totally rocks as a foliage and flower producer.

Joseph

Charleston, SC

Bright Eyed Girl is a type of morning glory. I am more interested in covering the fence than a bare area.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey! I'm from Charleston - well grew up there.

Anyway, I have some no id hot pink with white center I can give you. I am sure I have lots of it. It's pretty invasive. I grew 2 seedlings in a container and this is what it did:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7484105

It produces tons of seeds and they will just drop to the ground and sprout up many more.

You can put a nail on the top and bottom of your privacy fence and run a twine up and down those nails and the MG's will attach themselves to the twine. They do die back in the winter though.

Charleston, SC

LiliMerci, that sounds (and looks) exactly like what I want. As you probably know having grown up in Charleston, they will thrive here from March until December. I will save my seeds for next year. If you have some to spare, I sure would appreciate a few. I have not communicated a lot on this site so how do I let you know where to send? I will pay any postage. Thanks so much.

you can dmail (davesmail) me your address and I'll put some in the mail for you. No worry about postage.

Here is close up of the MG's.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

I had suggested using a morning glory to cover the fence, and to cover up the bare area by the base of the fence using the marigolds...the purpureas will certainly do the job of covering the fence for a long time, especially if you do not collect seeds from the vines.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Bright Eyed Girl is an alternative name for Crimson Rambler.
Most MGs will do very as a privacy fence. I. tricolor types are particulary thick, but not as bright as I. purpureas.

~Daniel

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I think my pkg came from Burpees. Just a marketing ploy to
increase seed sales. They know these sds are actually Crimson Rambler, shame on Burpees.

TOTALLY!!!

~Daniel

Your envie went out on Saturday. You should get your seeds tomorrow. Post pictures later so we could all see. Good luck with 'em.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I "build" a privacy room around my patio with morning glorys and marigolds every year.. I also cover the fences around the yard with mgs .. I like it.. dmail me if you want other colours I have tons..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I have lots of "Star of Yelta" purple morning glories. They would look nice with the bright pink. Mine reseed every year, but I save some seeds just in case. If you, or anyone else, wants any, just mail me a SASE.

I grew the exact same thing! But 1 seed of Flying Saucers found it's way into the packet of Star of Yalta>

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Here is the Flying Saucer. They are one of my favorite - with a pentagon shape.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2010 3:00 PM

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

jitrialerror - Welcome! I wish you luck with whatever species and cultivar of MG you chose for your living fence screen. :-)

I. purpureas will reseed themselves every year. Which is great! But they can become a bit invasive, so keep an eye on where seedlings sprout. Very easy to pull if you don't want them in certain areas of your yard. But they should cover your fence very nicely. :-)

I had a similar FS>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.