New to the forums

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

We're a small farm in Oklahoma growing fruits and vegetables, and we also raise rare breed Large Black and cross bred pigs in a rotation with our gardening. We love to talk about growing stuff and raising pigs outdoors, so we just wanted to give a brief intro. We also have a blog at www.thehaywire.typepad.com that has videos and photos from our farm, so you're welcome to stop by. We look forward to some good discussing!

Thumbnail by ImaTulsaDawg
Lodi, United States

Welcome ImaTulsaDawg!

Porkpal! A new friend for you!

I can't have hogs....Lodi frowns on hogs....Lodi frowns on just about everything....

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Thanks, and sorry to hear about Lodi. By the way, where the heck is Lodi?

Lodi, United States

Lodi is wherever people get stuck....my particular Lodi is in Northern CA--but there are others.....

Conroe, TX

Welcome, you're going to love this forum.

Richmond, TX

Welcome. So glad to have someone else who likes pigs!

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from porkpal :
Welcome. So glad to have someone else who likes pigs!

Thanks, are you raising pigs too?

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from smedgekles :
Welcome, you're going to love this forum.
Thanks smedgekles, what is Conroe near?

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Welcome Ima

Richmond, TX

I don't breed pigs, but I have a collection of rescued pigs. I also rotate them through the vegetable gardens where they help with the cultivation, fertilization, and cleaning up of the spent crop. I think they are wonderful animals.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

Welcome ImaTulsaDawg!

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from MissJestr :
Welcome Ima

Thanks MissJestr!

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from greykyttyn :
Welcome ImaTulsaDawg!
Thanks greykyttyn! We're not too far from Joplin, maybe an hour or so.

Bridgewater, ME

WELCOME IMATULSADAWG,YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE!!! JUST LIKE VISITING OLD FRIENDS.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

yes I know. We own wreckers & have been down that area many times to haul trucks back. :)

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from green04735 :
WELCOME IMATULSADAWG,YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE!!! JUST LIKE VISITING OLD FRIENDS.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the dialogue!

Richmond, TX

ImaTulsaDawg I love the idyllic picture in your original post. What breed(s) are the sow and her pigs?

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from porkpal :
ImaTulsaDawg I love the idyllic picture in your original post. What breed(s) are the sow and her pigs?

The sow is our herd purebred Spot (she's awesome, farrowed and weaned all 13 of those pigs). She's always bred to our purebred Large Black boar to produce crossbred gilts for our herd that we then breed to purebred Spots or a crossbred boar to produce our market pigs. I've raised most all of the rare breeds, and for our situation found the Large Blacks to be the best. They're great grazers, have excellent meat quality, good temperments, and most of all they're excellent mothers. They never lay on their pigs, which is vital in our type of production.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2010 6:44 PM

Richmond, TX

Apparently the black coloring is dominant?

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from porkpal :
Apparently the black coloring is dominant?
Yes. A Large Black boar will throw all black pigs, no matter the breed of the female. Even when we breed a Spot x Large Black female to a purebred Spot boar half or more of the litter is usually black.

Coushatta, LA

Are Large Black pigs mean?I am looking for a good heritage breed for my farm(well almost farm,it's still a work in progress) that is gentle and would make a good pasture pig.Are they expensive?Do they farrow easily?Pigs must be easy to raise because ferral pigs are taking over every forrest and swamp around where I live much to the deer hunters alarm.I raise French Lop rabbits which are very large and gentle and are great for pets or meat.I also have Mini and Holland lops(which are the smallest).

Richmond, TX

My experience with pigs is that none of them are mean if they are handled early and well. I have also "tamed" feral pigs with consistent, patient handling. The only "mean" pig I ever had was a sow that I bottle raised. She was nice to me but would attack anyone else! Orphan animals are often strangely behaved.

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from cowpea123 :
Are Large Black pigs mean?I am looking for a good heritage breed for my farm(well almost farm,it's still a work in progress) that is gentle and would make a good pasture pig.Are they expensive?Do they farrow easily?Pigs must be easy to raise because ferral pigs are taking over every forrest and swamp around where I live much to the deer hunters alarm.I raise French Lop rabbits which are very large and gentle and are great for pets or meat.I also have Mini and Holland lops(which are the smallest).
Large Black pigs are extremely gentle compared to modern breeds like our Spot pigs, and they're excellent grazers. Pigs prefer legume pastures over grass, so you'd want to interseed with clover, alfalfa, or vetch. Any of the rare breeds are expensive, but your best bet for the lowest cost rare breed would be Tamworths. They're a red breed with erect ears. From my experience, the Large Blacks are the best mothers of the rare breeds, with Glouchester Old Spots next and Tamworths right there with them, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Coushatta, LA

Thanks ImaTulsaDawg!What about Poland Chinas? Are they a heritage breed?My great-grandfather raised them in the 1930's and my grandmother talks about them being good pigs.

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from cowpea123 :
Thanks ImaTulsaDawg!What about Poland Chinas? Are they a heritage breed?My great-grandfather raised them in the 1930's and my grandmother talks about them being good pigs.
Polands are the all black version of the Spots, or Spotted Poland China as they're officially known, we raise. They're not a heritage breed, but they're not a numerous breed like Durocs or Yorkshires. The Spots and Polands are considered good dual purpose breeds, in that they have good growth and maternal characteristics. You can't go wrong with Polands.

Richmond, TX

Do you have to protect your spotted pigs from sunburn? We've always had solid colored pigs and even then some have gotten sunburned. Consequently they are only pastured in the mornings.

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

No, sunburn hasn't ever been a problem. We have wallows dug for the pigs,so when it's hot enough to cause sunburn the pigs are coated in a mud layer that protects them.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

wow you learn something every day. One of my best friends had pigs when we were kids & I never knew they could get sunburned. Very interesting.

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from greykyttyn :
wow you learn something every day. One of my best friends had pigs when we were kids & I never knew they could get sunburned. Very interesting.
Without a wallow, you could put a Yorkshire (white) pig outside in the morning and he'd look like a Duroc (red) by evening! :)

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

wow. I'll have to tell the kids that! I doubt they new it either.

Richmond, TX

Black pigs sunburn too. You have to look closely to see the redness, but they let you know by how stiffly they walk.

welcome ImaTulsa
i may have to pick your brain on the black hogs. I have been very interested in them for a few years and am wanting to add them to our farm. They will fit right in with my kids LOLLL
we want more pics of the pigs !! more pics , more pics :) no pressure though. LOL

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

taynors, here's a photo of a Large Black x Spot female bred to a purebred Spot boar.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh! Look at the spotted piglets! They look like dalmations....lol. I've not seen spotted ones like that before.

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Here's a photo from when we had a Tamworth boar, thus all the red piglets.

Richmond, TX

what is the forage you grow in your pastures?

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from porkpal :
what is the forage you grow in your pastures?

I seed a mix of Ladino, Dwarf White, and Red clovers with Travois creeping alfalfa.

so cute and yes they do look like dalmations LOL hopefully mama pig doesn't get a 101 ! yikes
great pics ImTulsa , thank you so much for sharing your pigs :)

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Here's a Spot x Tamworth litter. Talk about spots!

wow !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.