of unknown parentage!

szarvas, Hungary

Hybrids are often very beautiful but how to multiply?
Here a series of Brown hybrids.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

We believe holding them and they escape us.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Always brown .....

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

In fact, why to stabilize these hybrids, they give us their beauty and then they disappear into nothingness.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

If you keep a few seeds each year the chance will some day or other rearrange genes and provide a new firework.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

The only thing I know is they are crossings of New Danjûrô (a famous actor in Kabuki Theater)

Thumbnail by dany12
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Dany, When you look at all of them some of the things they have in common is they are all attractive to look at and they all are chocolate color,white tube and large flower. The other characteristics like ray pattern,blizzard,white margin,solid and the weak doubling to make a "flag"in the center are all variables that can be dominant or recessive to each other or they can also express at the same time giving a combination of patterns present at the same time. Now the seeds are a result of half of the plants genetic material recombined with 1/2 the parent plants genetic material and you naturally will get different results ....or even very close to exactly the same results depending on what is there in the genetic make up.

How people think about them, what they believe about them and what they want to do with them is way more complex and much more difficult to study or comprehend. lol! I have always known one thing for sure most people think and that is all morning glories are beautiful. Karen

edited: To clarify that when growing plants from seeds every seedling is usually different in some way seen or unseen. Only plants that are cuttings from the same plant or grown from tissue culture for sure have exactly the same genetic make up.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2010 1:07 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Dany and Karen,

Those seem to be morphing more and more each season.. just beauties..
A.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Hey A! Good to see ya! :-)

Dany - BEAUTIFUL brown blooms! Eye candy. Makes me want Spring to hurry up and arrive!

What Dany said above is exactly why I love to get my little artist's paint brush out and gently swish away inside the blooms! I love the surprises I get from doing that! And I have gotten some pretty interesting beauties!

Blooms last but a fleeting moment and then are gone. We can only hope and dream to repeat them or improve them! But I can honestly say that I haven't met a MG bloom yet that I didn't like! LOL!

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Welcome back Antoinette. :)

szarvas, Hungary

Already in the Edo period brown colors were popular they were called color of tea or Haguri (?) bark .

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

New Danjulo ,sometimes occurs in the offspring and yet the flower is very clear.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

An hybrid New Danjulo X Black Dove : Black Grape

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Here is Black Dove that can display flowers very clear or very dark too.

Thumbnail by dany12
Mesilla Park, NM

Very nice flower colors, almost muted colors in some of the photos, I wonder if the muted colors eventually lose that gene. The photos show light green chartruse leaves, do you think they are from the same plant? I have some flowers that are similar to a couple of the ones from the Edo period, from some of chocolate rose crosses, only thing is the leaves are dark leaves and I believe they were variegated leaves. My photos are posted on flicker but I'll try to post some of the photos here. I think I called them Chocolate Blizzard on there, they looked like chocolate milk when you are mixing it in a swirl. One thing for sure, they sure were big flowers. These plants were not real generous with seeds either if I remember correctly.

Maybe I needed to feed them more often than I did.

Thanks for the welcome Becky and Karen!

This message was edited Jan 23, 2010 9:04 AM

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Dany, those are beautiful.... did you gorw tose? goodness you are so good at growing those beauties.
Welcome home Antoinette, good to see you !

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I love the little pots in dany's group photo.

Any suggestions for getting morning glories grown indoors to be bushy like the photo? Pinch off the growing tip?

Hi GardenQuilts,

Welcome to the insane addictions to growing Convolvulaceae vines!

Dany,

I think the no identity JMG I grew this past year I tentatively identified as a rose silk was as dense a color as what you showed in the Danjulo photos, don't you think?

Joseph

(Zone 7a)

Welcome GardenQuilts - nice to see another piggy over here - I appreciate those Purple Majesty millet seeds you sent me - can't have too many 'black' colors, imho.

As you suggest, pinching back shoots that reach the limit of size you want an mg to reach about says it all. There is more detailed information on this subject in the MG Sticky Index under "Trellising and/or Pruning MG Vines". Maybe a clean cut with a sharp instrument just above where leaves meet the stem might leave less dead tissue than pinching - sometimes it's better not to have dead tissue above a leaf node that potentially can accumulate pathogens. I think many folks have experimented with this and will have more to say.

Karen

I'll have to read more about growing, training and reproducing morning glories.

I have successfully grown only 'Star of Yelta' morning glory seeds, so far. I let them climb the trellis in front of my place. I cut them when the reach the top of the trellis or the window. They reseed themselves and come back every year. I surprised a neighbor who was undergoing a difficult pregnancy by planting some by her fence. She moved away, but hers come back every year also. Another couple moved in this winter, I wonder what they will do with them. I am looking to move this year as well-most people living here are. Of course, I will take my plants with me, but I have a suspicion that morning glories will be popping up even after I am gone.

I am starting some inside in small pots. I would like to try to grow a "living curtain". At the moment I have some leggy vines. Time for another shop light, I know.

I am such a happy piggy. I have wintersown some seeds and shared some with friends. I was planning on attending a local swap, but got food poisoning. That is what you get for pigging out on crab rangoon.

One nurse at my doctor's office loves morning glories. She even has a morning glory motif on her wedding band. I started several types in a hanging basket for her as a surprise. I don't think she is a member here. She already has some of the star of yelta seeds and plants, of course. They haven't reseeded for her. She is in a colder microclimate further up the mountain.

Growing what you call a living curtain is quite popular in Japan, where vertical supports of string, twine or even wire are put up for the MGs to vine up. The vines are often planted in rectangular shaped containers which are placed near the vertical strings. I have seen this done on apartment outdoor deck or veranda areas. I think it would be a great way to view the plants' flowers as well as providing a natural curtain to filter the sun.

I think I need to grow Cameo Elegance again this year. It's been too long since I looked at those beautiful leaves.

Joseph

I love my curtains around the north side of the patio... gives me privacy and something pretty to look at..

My morning glories are in front of my place. My northern back patio borders the neighbor's tall wood fence. Unfortunately, it is also bordered by black walnut trees. I tried transplanting some morning glories in the back patio, but they don't seem to tolerate the juglone or the shade. A trumpet vine climbs the black walnut trees. I have tried rooting pieces of the trumpet vines at my side of the fence. They are growing, but not thriving. It may be too shady there.

The boozehag next door sprayed my potted honeysuckle vines with weed killer. On purpose. I heard her laughing with her boyfriend about it while doing it. I waited for my other neighbor to come home and asked if he minded keeping me company while I hosed the poison off my plants. I didn't want to be back there alone when they were in that condition. I put clear plastic on the trellis behind the vine.

I don't spend much time sitting on the patio any more.

The honeysuckle plant is fine now. It is getting too big for it's pot now, but I don't want to put it in the ground here. It moved with me from the city to the Poconos.

Growing a curtain is a great idea!

GardenQuilts - I am so sorry to hear about your utterly awful neighbors! I'd sure be fuming after them trying to kill your honeysuckle. My belief - What goes around, comes around! Grrrr ...

(Zone 7a)

Nannie, we too went through some bad times with some neighbors years ago. It's too painful to revisit, so I won't go into what happened. But distractions can be a godsend - here's a great har-de-har DG thread called "Where's the dog" - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/530015/ . I haven't read it but plan to - nothing like a good laugh for perspective sometimes.

karen

(Zone 7a)

Nannie - it got so bad that I made gardens everywhere, so that when one neighbor was acting up, we could go to a part of the property away from that bunch, etc. And then there were the days when we were at work or nights at night school or sleeping when the garden would be torn up by the roots, gas siphoned, etc. And other more serious crimes. All through the first 10 years we were here, we just hunkered down and stayed busy with the foregoing while pursuing our respective art forms and trying to rehab the wreck that our house was. But around year 10, we discovered local trails and those gave us a wonderful respite - I doubt the house will ever be finished now that we've discovered the poetry each changing day can be out in relatively wild places. You might enjoy Charlene's thread on the topic of walks - she's a soulmate of Thoreau, to me - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072202/ .

Speaking of Thoreau, reading has been another godsend. Someone I can't remember once said that, over time, adversaries grow to resemble each other. A good book, a magical trail, belly laugh and good friend(s) can help you rise above noxious situations for which there is no apparent resolution.

karen

The neighbors already have the worst revenge, they have to live with themselves. They have already have had more than their share of bad karma - surprising how mental instability, alcohol and drug abuse can do that. I am moving on and, hopefully, moving out.

(Zone 7a)

Good for you, Nannie. If we could have afforded it, we would have done the same thing. But the strangest thing happened. Eventually, a particularly bad group of neighbors moved on, and someone bought that house and told us that our garden sold him on moving next door to us. That neighbor was the complete and total antithesis of the previous occupants. If neighbors could be made in heaven, they couldn't improve on our friend Jim.

I wish you the best of luck in your next home and kind and fun new neighbors.

I hope you all have a great growing year... let me know when these ads are done bothering ...as I logged into DavesGarden to invisible talking advertisments. ... you can contact me by email. ( Yahoo)
So Sad..
Debra

(Zone 7a)

Aarghhh! Debra - I haven't noticed any ads visual or sound at all. Paying DG subscribers can avoid ads by:

-- Click on My Info tab at the top
-- Click on Manage Your Preferences
-- Go to the right column and click on Ads
-- Next, you should see "Preferences: Advertisements. Under it are three questions with boxes asking if you DO want to see ads. So, don't click on any of those boxes if you don't want ads.

Well, that works for visual ads. 'Pooter doesn't have sound capability To those who have offered, I appreciate the kind offers of speakers, but let me decline), so I wouldn't know if this works with sound-type of ads. Would you let me know how sound ads are affected by DG's ad arrangement for paying subscribers? This would be important to me if I do get speakers, since I have ADD bad.

Debra, I'm glad you and I have each others' emails. I'll send you one later tonight before dawn.

Nannie, I suspect I've been too goody-two-shoes about noxious neighbors and apologize about that. Many families were under siege during those 10 years, and my favorite expression was "making medical history" out of the culprits. But the main culprits were children who had a father who joked about chain-whipping his wife while drunk and at one point was convicted of raping his 12-year old daughter and saying she made him do it. The kids were acting out and taking out their frustration on the neighborhood. So, we had compassion for those kids and always treated them with the same respect an kindness we would any well-behaved child and tried to be supportive of them. Social Services became involved and tried to help. Now they've grown up and they have surmounted their childhood hell wonderfully. We're not close, but have a good relationship.

Is it spring yet? 25*F high today and blustery. Congrats to anyone growing MGs indoors. I have a few species hanging in there - just love moonflowers and thanks to Joseph and Kokorota and Lazlo, I. albivenia, I. maccrorhiza and I. carnea subspecies fistulosa are doing fine from last year's sowing (not sure if the latter is a moonflower). Have you ever wanted to see a plant bloom so badly you'd mortgage the tool shed?

Karen

szarvas, Hungary

Another fantastic hybrid: A parent is probably Fujishibori.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

The color may be a little sad, but the texture is remarkable.( father : Black King )

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

This one has as parent Benkei and Black Dove.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Another hybrid of ascending unknown.

Thumbnail by dany12

I like the maroon speckled JMG and the last blizzard JMG! Are they your plants, Dany?

Dany - Is this your current grow-out? Seeds collected from last season? If so, you got some VERY nice crosses there!

This one: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7560181 is outstanding! Really! What a beauty!!

And the others are just as lovely. I also like that last one, too! Excellent variety you have there!

Edited to add:

Dany - I took another look at this photo: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7560200

This one is very nice! Light color leaves, deep color blooms with the blizzard gene! Very, very nice cross! Excellent in every way!

This message was edited Feb 15, 2010 12:20 PM

szarvas, Hungary

These are not my crosses.
But I used Black King pollen to produce hybrid in 2009.
2010 will be a year full of surprises.

Thumbnail by dany12

I love the dark one the best..

Dany - I truly believe that you are going to get some really amazing looking crosses this year! I can't wait to see what your 2010 blooms look like!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.