2010 SWG Swap - PLANTS TO SHARE!

Phoenix, AZ

See rules and announcement of White Elephant game at the end of this post
2010 Southwest Gardening Spring Swap - Plants to Share Thread
DATE: Saturday, April 10, 2010
TIME: 8 A.M. - 2 P.M.
SITE: NEWS and UPDATE:

First, let’s all think positive thoughts about the Dave’s Garden Transition that seems to be in the offing. May the new “owner’s” be wise. Of course, we are the “owner’s” but we don’t have any clout! Anyhoo: Here are details on the Swap site for April 10:

Ramada #2 at Papago Park near Botanical Gardens has been reserved by Tomatofreak, again! Thanks, Alma! $35 for anyone who wants to contribute a buck to reimburse her. Ramada has water and electricity (this year we need to request these amenities), 4 large tables and 2 grills, good parking. Oh, and the restroom right across the street. Well, we all know it’s a good site and has served us well for a few years.
Folks and Swap enthusiasts!
Here we go! We will create 3 threads devoted to distributing news and lively discussion.
1). FOOD!
2). PLANTS TO SHARE!
3). GENERAL DISCUSSION!

Each thread will have the date, time and venue. The site is yet to be determined. We're doing a little research on what park may be available to reserve at this time. We'll not have a dedicated "Attendance thread" as I believe we can tell who is attending by posting participation. However, I'll take a tally and post it closer to the Swap date.
See rules and announcement of the White Elephant Game at the top of this thread.

WHITE ELEPHANT GAME

The 3 rules are simple:

1. Bring something for the garden…don’t spend any money, grab something from your garden or garage. Or make something.

2. Wrap it in disguise

3. Play only if you’ve brought a W.E.

OUR GAME PLAYING
1. When it’s time to play I’ll call all the participants to the WE table and we can draw numbers.

2. Number 1 is the BEST number to have. #1 goes first AND last...at the very end of the game.

3. Number 2 goes next. #2 can steal from #1 or open a new gift. If #2 steals from #1, then #1 gets to go again BUT cannot take from the person who took his gift. NO ONE can ever take a gift from the person who just took it from him or her. EVER EVER EVER.

4. Number 3 goes next and can steal from #1 or #2 and the pattern repeats for the duration of the game. The last player will be #1 and then the game is over.

5. THE GIFT can be stolen only 3 times

6. Nothing is yours until the end of the game…then you can brag about your gift!

This message was edited Mar 21, 2010 1:13 AM

This message was edited Mar 28, 2010 10:04 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I will have to give this a think :)

If I am able to come I will bring Grandpa Otts Morning Glory.

Thanks for organizing us Susie!

Phoenix, AZ

Doubt if anything I have will be unique enough for a swap - Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes?

Phoenix, AZ

meisgreen, doesn't need to be unique! A lot of people are starting out and would like anything!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think it's actually rare to have something unique there... just bring what you've got... trust me, it's like Christmas no matter what's there... :)

I always bring spider plants that are rooted...many of the folks here have my great grandchildren spiders and beyond! The original plant was from my Mom!

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Rene:

apricot Thevetia starts http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2248/

Chaste tree (2 feet) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/139925/

Mexican Bird of Paradise http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57631/

This message was edited Apr 4, 2010 7:35 PM

Phoenix, AZ

BUMP.
I guess Admin hasn't caught up with us yet.

Sun City, AZ(Zone 9b)

SLATWOOD'S SPACE

Rodney's (English) Aster starts
a couple of Morning Glory Tree Starts
Whatever "Extra" tomato starts I don't need - because I always start "extras"
Couple Bhut Jalokia volunteers (They were caged with floating row covers: they're pure)
Probably extra pepper & eggplant starts.
A cactus I grew to see if I could - I did; but I don't like cactus.
Blue and red reverted-to-the-wild Salvia, if anyone's interested.
Volunteer Bells Of Ireland -- been coming up since I moved here - have no idea if they transplant well.
Frangipani gets a start
Who knows when Tobacco Tree seeds sprout, if not bird donated in May?

Seeds: Cassia Didymobotria
Morning Glory Tree
Tree Tobacco seeds (I hope)
Grandpa Ott Seeds
Grandpa Ott-got -friendly-with-Japanese-Flying Saucer-seeds
Buht Jalokia pepper seeds (see my pepper thread)
Sesbania seeds

This message was edited Feb 27, 2010 12:14 AM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, I'm looking forward to your Bells of Ireland starts...

Phoenix, AZ

I think I'm going to have lots of garden veggies to share, too. What I'd like is the xerixcape plants -

Texas Mountain Laurel
Cape Honeysuckle
Orange bells or anything else that attracts hummers.

I'm in a place right now that if I spend any more on plants, lets say that my husband has a bag in the back of the closet, lol. I need plants for the front yard.
Jeanine

Gilbert, AZ

I have a whole bunch of common octopus agaves. Mine bloomed and my maternal side couldn't see all those babies die, bad enough that mama died. I should have my head examined. These look nice in a pot with alyssum until they get too big if you're not into desert landscaping.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jeanine - I pulled a bunch of seed pods off my Cape Honeysuckles today. I've never grown them from seed - has anyone here done it? I can bring you lots of seeds or try and start some for you. The seeds look like Yellow Bells seeds with the little papery thing around them.

Hummers love them and they need almost no water even in the summer - like once a week or two...

Thumbnail by locakelly
Phoenix, AZ

I'm pretty opened to suggestions (although I have lots of Agave as it thanks to my neighbor who pulled up all of his. Thanks Crista). Right now less then 1/2 my back yard is dedicated to my gardens & fig tree. I'd like to make the other 1/2 more water wise plants, but ones that attract wildlife.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Well, that should work out pretty well, meisgreen, since our native fauna is partial to our native flora--which is, by definition low water use! :)

I might have some Hartweg's sundrops for you if you're interested. I've never tried transplanting them before, so I'll see if I can pot one up successfully before promising anything.

Phoenix, AZ

That'd be cool.

Gilbert, AZ

Aw, c'mon meis, how can you possibly have toooo many agaves??

Phoenix, AZ

Meisgreen, I have some aloes to add to your agaves.

Phoenix, AZ

I'm layering some Silver Falls, Creeping Wire Vine and Creeping Jenny.... let me know if you'd like some. I have 3 of each at the moment. I can start more.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Creeping wire vine, aaahhhhh, my first gift plant from Aguane. It is a most lovely plant. Now I use it for my topiaries. Thank you, Susie!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Susie I would love some Silver Falls. Can you tell me how you keep the creeping Jenny alive? I have killed it at least 5 times.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Susie, I would love one of each, if possible. Thanks.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Susie, I would like one of each too if you have enough. I'm willing to try anything once and hopefully I won't kill the Jenny like Marie;oP

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Kelly no worries . No one here kills plants as much as I do. I am a serial plant murderer :o)

Phoenix, AZ

Marie's maiden name is Bundy. (I shouldn't post this early. My good taste hasn't awakened yet.)

Phoenix, AZ

Oh that explains a lot..................................

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Quote from kandredvm :
Marie's maiden name is Bundy. (I shouldn't post this early. My good taste hasn't awakened yet.)

ROTFLOL - it's ok Katie; I like your taste!

Phoenix, AZ

If all of the nine starts survive I have enough for
1 Marie: Jenny and Falls
2 Rodica: Jenny Falls and Wire
3 Kelly : Jenny Falls and Wire.
4 Pam: Jenny Falls and Wire.
.... in that order depending on the plant viability! I hope they all root!
I'll start some more in hopes they "root" by April...

BTW: Marie re the Jenny. I have the "mother" in a large pot. I think I created the pot last June or something. I put it under the very large lime tree on grass for the summer and it did GREAT! About Oct-ish I moved it to lightly filtered shade and it's done great. I've start about ten babies in little pots and they've done well. Planted one large baby in the shaded ground about Nov. and it's doing "fine"... not great, just fine.

I have silver falls on the ground like dichondra.... voracious in very early morning sun. I'm letting it creep anywhere it likes just to see the sun/heat tolerance.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2010 7:41 PM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I wonder if I just did not give it enough protection from the sun. I ahve the regular dichondra that is growing from seed I threw out. Makes a nice ground cover in my opinion.

I will have baby bauhinia vines so far.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Susie!

Good info for growing too, especially for a newbie like me...

Crossville, TN

Now that I kinow I'll be able to make it...I have nothing to trade...except a big smile...but I would like some seeds for the Black Eyes Susan Vine. Jo

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jo I am sure you have some chocolate you could trade.........

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

And some gourd seeds...

btw, did anyone know that cucumbers are part of the gourd family? I didn't... heard it on a gameshow today. Huh!

Crossville, TN

Trade my chocolates??? Not for seeds!!

Yes they are of the same family and it I knew Latain I could say they are Cub......?? Jo

Phoenix, AZ

...curcurbits!

Crossville, TN

You are fluent in Latian...how do you spell Latian?? Jo

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

Latin ...L..A..T..I..N....Latin. :o)

Crossville, TN

HMMMM...I thought it was a longer word..since it is so hard to speak...LOL

Phoenix, AZ

That's right, Dan.
Geez. I remember my grandfather on this subject. He was certain that civilization was sure to crumble when Latin ceased to be taught in schools. He may have been right.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.