moonflower-moonvine

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I have a question. I have some Moonvine seed. Someone send me some Moonflower seed.
Are these both vines? The seeds are NOT the same.
Please clarify...
Charleen

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

I have sometimes heard Datura or Brugmansia referred to as Moonflower, but don't know for certain.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

moon vine are usually a tanish white brown seed. about the size of a bean. purple moonflower is black about the size of a bean.

daturas are tan or black small like little hollyhock looking seeds..

I believe I have it straightened out. I sure do Thank You all for the help.
Everyone is so helpful.
Thanks
Charleen

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi Charleen... I hope I sent you some Moonflower..
Mine comes back every year..smells heavenly, very scented.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Remember the hige seed you sent??? I got one down here and it is standing straight up!!! only one I know I planted more than one seed. I have not touched it. My bud is growing on the moonvine. There is two buds. Part of the vine has some wrinkled up leaves but the buds are o.k. Have you ever cut them back after they bloomed to get them to bush up?? Your bloom is beautiful. Is it too early to plant my moonvine seed.I have seven seed. If not let me know and I will plant them. I sit and look at them, Just don't want them planted too early. Know I am going to love them.

Charleen, I have no clue what your tmeps are or how your lighting is inside, but if you plant the moonflower seeds NOW they will come up in the spring, they need cold to germinate. At least mine do.. I scatter them on the snow where I want them to come up at. as for moon vines seeds, mine are in the windows, and I just make sure they are fed, misted and have lots of light, I don't pich them out cuz I want a good vine to transplant to outside, and they don't like being uprooted, so I sink the planter into the ground that I started them in the winter. If I didn't send you any datura inoxia, or datura purple swirl, let me know, i have tons of them. here is the purple datura.. will show you my mgs growing system in the window after..

Thumbnail by joeswife

This was last years south window vines..

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Not to contradict Debra ... Are we talking about Ipomoea alba vines? I saw the white bloom above that she posted. If so, my seeds turn to mush if it gets too cold here. Which it has already this year, so I know I won't have any volunteers. I will have to use new seeds. Which fortunately ... there are some in the current group seed swap for those participants. :-)

The only MG seeds that I have had come up as volunteers here in Florida after a cold winter is the I. purpurea vines. The I. nils don't make it here either. And I live in zone 10a. So just thought I would put my .02 cents in about this.

here is the window in december around the 25th, it looks alot different now..

Thumbnail by joeswife

No, Becky I am talking the moonflower daturas, I would never plant a moonvine in the snow.. I start the moonVINES inside, ..

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Whew, Debra! I was thinking that you had some VERY hardy Moonflower seeds! (Of which I was going to beg you to share some! LOL!)

I didn't know that Datura needed cold to germinate. I also didn't know it was good to just sprinkle them on top of the soil. I have seeds, I'll have to try that. Though the nematodes in my yard seem to be getting most of my plants these days that are in the ground. :-( Florida soil is awful.

Thanks for clarifying which Moonflower plant likes like cold stratification! :-)

I think the same is with monardas, Becky, I have been stratifying seeds in the trunks of my cars, so can send you some new monarda seeds to try this spring;) Charleen has a good green thumb, I can't wait to see her Moonvine bloom!

ooooo!! I'm going to plant my moonvine seed today. Sign looks right. I have 7 moonvine seed, from someone there is no name only Ipomea Altea moonvine. Makes no difference I'm going to plant it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.