seedless concord grapes

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

My daughter is planning to establish a small vineyard of concord grapes. She has seen ads for seedless concord grape vines in some of the seed catalogs. Has anyone grown the seedless variety and do they have the same taste and produce as much as the older varieties? Thank you for any advice you can give us. Judy

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

no idea sorry.

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Judy;,

The seedless variety of the Concord will do equally as well as the seeded... Grow it just like you would the other...The only difference you will notice is the seedless Concord will probably ripen a week or so earlier, which is probably a good thing up here....

Here is a link to Willis Orchards... Their prices on grapes are fairly reasonable... http://www.willisorchards.com/category/Bunch+&+Seedless+Grape+Vines I would order them now, no matter where you get them from as this is one of the more popular varieties and they could sell out quick....

Dave

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Dave, Thank you so much for your response; my daughter will be delighted to get the information!

Morgantown, WV

The seedless Concords have a reputation for producing smaller grapes and more scraggly clusters compared to regular Concords, so they don't look as impressive, but people seem to like growing (and eating) them.

I will find out firsthand soon since I ordered some seedless Concord vines for this spring!
Good luck.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the informaiton! My daughter is still trying to decide what to do so she appreciates any information she can get.

Baldwin City, KS

I am new to this site and would appreciate some advice regarding grapes for a grape arbor. I currently have two grapes growing--only about a foot or so tall--but did not prune them when they were dormant. As a result, there are maybe four branches with leaves on them. What would happen if I pruned one or so of the branches when there are leaves on them? I neglected to prune them because I am having a little problem getting them to survive the Kansas winter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Morgantown, WV

Salsadude, if it's a thick vine, it may gush water but should heal and be fine. That is what I've been told -- I am new too.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

We have problems with winter die back in Colorado - so we usually don't do winter pruning until the buds start to swell in the Spring. So it was a good idea to put off pruning if you have had winter hardiness problems. And MaryNeedsSleep is correct - grapes will gush enough water/sap to scare you, but they recover fine.

Baldwin City, KS

Thanks pollengarden and Maryneedssleep, the winter die back, which I have experienced before, is exactly why I was afraid to prune when the plants were dormant. I will try to cut off one or two and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

In the Spring of 2010 I purchased two Concord grape cuttings at Home Depot. They were just two sticks in a pot with a couple of leaves which I planted close to a bare wooden garden fence line. They grew rapidly and provided beautiful color to the bare wall. This past winter we had some record freezing temps here in Dallas and I thought the trunk and roots were dead.

Well, as of March 2011, Lookey here....

All of the trunks grew out and the growth rate is twice as fast and much as it was last year!

It's beautiful and obviously hardy!

Thumbnail by KimchiMonger
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

And two more photos...

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Despite that freeze, they're back!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.