Brazillian Mg's.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I've had a small package of them for sevral years now and digging in the crisper just foudn them again and w as goign to plant them and see what I get.

Has anybody planted them before. Do I treat them liek other Mg's even though the seed looks different than regula r Mg's.

Also, will they cross with soem of the hybrid mg's and japanes e ones do you think?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Dmail RON_CONVOLVULACEAE and ask him - he is our resident guru on morninglories.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Kay! : ) Appreciate ya. : )

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Let us know what he says.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Brazilian MGs are Ipomoea Setosa. They are grown just like the tropical MGs, but the vine does look quite different. The vine has small thorns that are very soft. (Not prickly thorns.) The flowers are usually pink. It is an unusual vine and lots of fun to grow! I don't know of anyone being able to cross this vine with another species of MG. Highly unlikely, as most species aren't compatible.

I do encourage you to grow one though as they are most unusual and very nice looking vines!

For those who aren't familiar with Setosa, please check out the DG PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/106134/

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

There are quite a number of DGers who grow this vine but have not written about it. I`m trying this one too this year from some seeds recieved as a gift. Maybe we can start a thread to share our newbie to growing ipomoea setosa experience. Karen

That's a good idea, Karen!

I grew that species 2 years ago and have said I'm going to grow it again, but haven't yet. It is a very unique vine with those soft thorns! :-) It also seems to be a good nectar bloom because I had butterflies and bees coming to the flowers. :-) Another good reason to grow this vine! :-)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I LOVE SETOSA, and am growing some in the window right now from my seeds from last year.. you will love them, Star.. here is a pic of mine from last year

Thumbnail by joeswife

It has a nice purple flower, indeed, Debra. Nice photo!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Nice pic. : )

Sine buttrflie s and humemr s love it definately have to try adn get it going here. How invasiv e is it? I have a fence I can try and put it next too, but don't want it to go hog wild and choke evrythign else out.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

it is a nice rambler, easy to control. It made its way thru the Messina Creeper next to it, and loped itself around the giant Cleome. I could move the vines where I wanted them to go. I went about 8ft down the fence, on top of everything else.

I don't consider it invasive like I. purpurea's can be. I compare it more to an I. nil. I have no idea if the seeds will survive freezing temps. I kinda doubt it. So you may or may not have volunteers later or the following year. Seed pods are large, so they are easy to find. :-)

Grow just one to start and see how you like it. I grew one in a large pot and it didn't get too sprawling or large. It was well behaved for me. But that was in the hot climate of Florida. It is also succeptible to rust like I. nils are, so if you get the seasonal rust fungus, you will lose it. It is also an annual vine. Just a neat looking vine! Quite different than the usual MGs. :-)

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

It is a wonderful vine to grow. The blooms don't last long but the foliage is just as pretty. I certainly wouldn't call it invasive at all. I had it reseed once, the seeds had fallen beside my deck in a rather protected spot.

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

While mine produced some nice blooms, it did not set a single seed pod. I don't know what the problem was. I want to try one or two sds
again this spring. It's a beautiful m glory.

Thumbnail by patootie
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh it sure doe s have some pretty foliage. : )

Ronnie is that one vine or two?

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Just one vine. That is the one that reseeded itself.

Jackie do you need seeds? I still have a few left...

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Ronnie, thank you so much but I still have quite a few setosa sds
that you kindly shared with me. I will start a couple in the late spring.
This is one that more people should grow, very pretty and easy.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Oh great Jackie!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.