tiered trays vs plastic tubs

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

The molasses would be a great addition, I agree. I just don't have any.
When you buy it from feed store, how do they sell it ? Is it a liquid ?
What size do it come in ? I guess even a large amount would not go bad.
Thanks for the input.

Dwight

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I bought a large bag mat least 25 pound for $20 dollars. It is dried as a treat for horses. I went for black molasses but they did not have it and I was 20 miles away from home so I picked up the closest thing to what I as looking for. Besides, I am 67 and I was in this animal feed store and have not been paid that much attention in many years. I guess I was the new old lady on the block. LOL...
I did look pretty good compared to what was in there buying their supplies.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2010 2:33 PM

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

My experience with molassas to create yummy area for worms and to help in the processing of IMO is that NOT alot is needed. I water in about 1Tablespoon to a gallon of water when I add it to my garden...to attract the worms. I just buy the stuff in the Supermarket. 25lbs would last me another lifetime!!!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Do you buy it dry or liquid?

Livingston, TX

Sharon

The redworms and any worm for that matter do not like the light, plus when you turn are rake the top the natural thing for the worm to do is move down into there bedding.
There are 2 things you can count on from the redworm they will do this every time. 1. When you have a bedding full of redworms and feed them on top and cover them from light they will feed on the surface. When you remove the cover they will move down, once you place the cover back on they will begain to move up again.
2. Now once you dig are rake the surface you disturb the redowrms and they will move down. The bigger worms will move faster than the smaller ones so wait 30 minutes at least.
If you have a small container of worms just pile them on a table under the light into a cone shape and wait the worms will move down when they come to the table they will begain to ball up.

If you need rabbit manure go and talk to some feed stores and ask if there are any big rabbit raiser in your area.

Rentman

My building in the summer time is under shade trees this help with the heat, Last summer the heat was bad outside, inside the building I just leave the door open, I also check the tempture of the bedding being wet is naturaly cooler. When I water I use well water this will cool it down.
The european nightcrawler needs are a lot like the redworm.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I use liquid molassas. DH (a chemical engineer) says I can use any sugar but there is something so healthy and immediate using the molassas!!!!

Carol

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I purchased the dried molasses because I could not find the type recommended. I just changed the cost above. You must have thought I was off my rocker. Jlpollard, thanks so much for such an easy explanation to follow. I just fed them a bunch of coffee grounds. They are all over some blueberries I threw in there the other day.

I will go on Google and Craig List and see who is giving away rabbit dropping. I am sure someone is. I think I will do some scrapping next week. I have a portable light I can set up because the bed I have them in is rather heavy. I need to make another bed because I added 2000 to one bed because I did not have the second one completed. I will let you know how that goes.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

WOW....they charge $50 for that over here in the feed store....!!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

That is what I was quoted here too. I think I am going to go in with a few like-minded souls and share the cost.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Dried Molasses Feed, brand Nutri Source, 50lb bag 15.99 I didn't think it was this cheap.
Tractor Supply. Fifty pounds will last me a long time but I will use it sooner or later. ^_^

Dwight

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Good to know, There is a Tractor SUpply about 1 1/2 hours from here but I pass it now and then. I'll check.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.