Wrapping and 'goop' /w'ever for grafting ?

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

sorry for a somewhat OT question and for stepping into the group, but some of you guys will have the info I need.

I may try to graft a color or 2 onto a white Crepe Myrtle I own. I already received a little info months ago but it appears there is often some gel type substance used as well as some type of plastic wrapping or tape. I was wondering if there is a good source for these items or if some 'home remedy' substitutes can be used? If there is a DG sponsor that sells them, a link would be appreciated.

thanx in advance

Carl

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

You can buy grafting tape off of ebay. However, I go to this site for parafilm tape too. It is a flexible clear tape that you stretch over the taped graft and the rest of the scion to retain moisture. The new growth pushes right through it easily. You will definitely have better results if you use this on top of the normal grafting tape.

So I wrap the entire scion with parafilm tape first, then graft it, use the regular tape to secure the graft point and then wrap the taped area with parafilm as well.

https://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/ovsstore/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=%3C%25%3DbType%25%3E&resultCnt=10&keyword=grafting

This message was edited Jan 15, 2010 4:28 PM

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I'll thank you too, Jujubetexas, I have wanted to do grafting all my life, off and on, since I was 16. I used to try with grafting wax which was really sticky (yuk!) over a rubber band bound graft joint but never was successful. I had a few takes with budding on hibiscus on which the bark seemed to slip easily in the Spring. This parafilm wrapped over the whole scion to retain it's moisture sounds like a real improvement.

One question, how do you sharpen your knife "really" sharp to make smooth cuts. I had thought of using a new blade in my utility knife but thought I would ask a "been there done that pro"

thanks again,

Paul

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Get a grafting knife. They are almost as thin as a razor. Get a whetstone for sharpening it. Be very careful with these knives as they cut easily through anything including YOU!!!

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you, I will try to be careful although my hands get cut a lot - the last time from my table saw blade (not running). I think the sharper the knife, the more careful I am as I still have all fingers.
Paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.