Vine supports

St John's, Antigua and Barbuda(Zone 10a)

I really love vines but was wondering about decorative supports rather than just on the fence, not trellis against the house because I am afraid of damage to the siding. Not looking for an arbour, any suggestions?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

How about bamboo teepees?

Sort of would like something a bit more decorative and also nowhere to buy bamboo here, the wild one is protected and we only have a couple of plant nurseries. DH made me a nice wooden obelisk for hardly any money, but the ones on line are really expensive and then I would pay a lot in shipping and duties. Sue.

Vieques, PR

or try a wire obelisk. as described here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/804168/

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've used a lot of unorthodox methods for trellises!
I have used, old rod iron sides from a covered garden pergola, cattle panel is hung from the side of the green house for summer vines. When the Hurricane knocked down my fence, I had the builders leave the post at full size and put trellis horizontal between the posts. I have round wire pillars although the vines like to go straight to the top. I've used 25 foot tall bamboo ladders, and being a vine lover, running out of room on left only one option for me..Going up, so I hung some decorative chain about 35 feet into the oak tree. The bignonia vine went right up the chain. The decorative chain will fall off once the vines are established. Gives it a unique look.
I think my last interesting trellis is when I bought to inexpensive trellis from Big lots, but put them together so that about a quarter met in the middle, then hung it from the even of the house for the Beaumontia grandiflora- been there ever since. I did write a blog on trellises last year, so there will be some pictures in this link. "50 ways to leave your trellis
http://www.chron.com/commons/persona.html?newspaperUserId=rjudd&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=rjudd&plckPostId=Blog%3arjuddPost%3a66579024-e1e4-4937-aa41-f1ab82b7c984&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest
Here is a picture of the two trellis I put end to end.
Good luck!
Rj

This message was edited Jan 18, 2010 12:48 AM

This message was edited Jan 18, 2010 12:49 AM

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

My lovely Mandevilla is looking a bit sad, any advice?

Thumbnail by cocoloba

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/pad/all/

Post your question about your Mandevilla on the above forum - someone there will be able to help you.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

For lashing bamboo or PVC pipe, here is my source for good quality, VERY strong waxed twine. The price was great, but shipping was high. It is white, but the wax picks up dust and soil so it quickly becoems a more neutral brown-gray. It is really strong!

9 PLY WAXED POLY TWINE 335 YARDS
Part No: 70-50448
$6.24

1,000 feet for $6.24 would be less than 2 cents per yard,
but I paid $12.87 shipping & handling for 4 spools (Texas to Seattle area).
With shipping, 3 cents per yard.

They no longer list it on their website, so you have call them to order it:

Phone: (940) 484-9400
Free: (800) 958-5173
salesinfo@milestek.com

9 PLY WAXED POLY TWINE 335 YARDS
Part No: 70-50448

MilesTek Corporation
1506 Interstate 35 W
Denton, TX 76207-2402

Tel: (940) 484-9400
Free: (800) 958-5173
Fax: (940) 484-9402

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 2:28 PM

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Really, any thing that you don't mind having covered up for at least a brief to large (LoL) amount of time can be a trellis. Do a bit of research on the vine of your choice and go from there. This all comes from someone who has an abnormal amount of "big growing vines". But I have alot of room to put them here and there. I've also cried as I cut several vines from some that were getting out of hand but are sooooooo gorgeous, but if I let them go would kill my trees. So what I do is each year one of the big growing vines gets to get "Out of hand" and we let it go wild. Then the next year we pick another. So it goes, and if your a big vine lover, you'll have to make a choice. We rotate, and have not regretted our system, tho this year, when I had to cut some vines of the T. grandiflora I really was in tears. It was soooooooooooo gorgeous in the tops of the oaks, but I know that if I want those Oaks to be around for next years vines, I had to cut at lest (Ok 6 vines) to keep my Oak alive and well, it's not like this fellow won't be back next year. !!!

LOL, Martha - I feel your pain - I had to cut my T. grandiflora, too, among other vines - just makes you SICK!!!

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

this thread describes a really cheap great trellis. i bought a bunch and love them

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1185875/

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

I have the same fear about putting them against the house so I'm using the big cat littler buckets and making a planter. I put four of them side by side and attach the trellis to the back of the buckets. I put a short piece of trellis across the front of the buckets to make them look nice. This way I can put them in front of the house without them touching. It's also moveable. I also like the idea of old ladders. Have fun with this.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.