It's really winter!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy, that oven sounds awesome!

Bonnie, way to go on the vacation! That's a great time to be in a warm place.

Drywall sanding going on here too, in the big bathroom. The jacuzzi tub is set, drywall and concrete board in place, and just about ready to start tiling. I can't wait to lay in that tub!

BOnnie good to see you ! i missed you . I knew your were busy this last week.
That naughty Mr.B. getting all wet , boy is he in for a surprise today LOL does he like baths are runs away ?
Neal have fun in your JT , i have one too. ITs a love hate thing with me LOLLL
im going to try and go to my work out but i am just to lazy . uhg. and out of my routine . blah
i will have to learn more on covecion cooking. Expecially the baking part.
used them in culinary school but those were industrial size and very long time ago.
have a great day

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all.
Wow Janet...I guess your oven has gotten a workout!!
So glad to hear from all of you about how they work. Also good to know about the canning! I was told you shouldn't...but that some people do...lol. They just don't know about us gardeners!!
Well..they are about 30 minutes away...just called!!!
I did a dumb thing last night I guess. I thought...welllllll...maybe I will just clean that oven...(old stove). Well...somehow, the oven door didn't get caught in the lock...and now the lock is sticking out and can't close the oven door all the way! Geesh...I think I had ahold of it while turning on the cycle? I have tried everything to get it to open back up...but no go. Soooooo..I guess...if they resell them:? or whatever they do with them...they will have to fix it...lol! I don't know..maybe they just junk them????
Oh Neall...that jacuzzi sounds wonderful!!! Wish mine was INSIDE...lol.
Maybe I should have held out for it in our bathroom makeover?????? Hmmmmm...maybe I will tell them I want it??????? LOL..probably NOT! I think we have spent enough money here lately!
Sue...get your stove book out and learn how to use that oven!!! Thought you were a chef???? Get with it girl!
George and Cajun....I guess chickens are like everything else...just depends on the individual.

Well...I am getting excited! LOL!
Ohhhhh...my daughter has a job interview right about now..as I type! Woohoo...It's at her old bank...actually she will be interviewing for two diff positions. One is Asst. Mngr...the other in the audit dept. She said she really would like the one in the audit dept?
Hope she gets one or the other.
Ok...gotta go..I think they are here!! Woohoooooo!!!
Did you ever see anyone get so excited over a stove????????

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Clapping hands and jumping up and down for you Marcy! It's always fun to get something new!

George, Suzy looks great. What a beautiful coat. That little girl didn't know how lucky she was the day you saved her!!!

The pond is still snow covered and how depressing is that..... :o(

I don't have a convection oven, but I do have a glass-top and I can on it also. No problemo..

I've been searching Monster.com for jobs...seems like so many of the ones posted are for Employment agencies and I'm just not ready to get into that mess yet.

My GS Luke, got jumped at school yesterday. He's okay, but has a big knot on his forehead. Seems this kid has been trying to get him to fight for quite some time and Luke, just keeps telling him to buzz off cause he's not getting suspended for fighting with him. So the guy finally took matters into his own hands and pushed him off the bleachers 3rd level and then jumped on him and started pummeling when he landed. One of Luke's friends finally got the kid in a choke hold and pulled him off. Looks like that kid will get suspended and the other two won't cause they didn't throw any punches. I'm so proud of Luke for not letting himself lose control and whaling back on the kid.

Well, need to get moving....

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Joyce, that is horrible about your grandson....kids these days are just nasty anymore....I would have gotten killed by my parents if I had done something like that.

The weather here is beautiful today. The sun is out and the sky is actually blue! I thought that was a thing of the past...or the far distant future......but I counted down and it is only 70 days til spring time!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!! **doing my happy dance***

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

YAH for Spring. Can hardly wait. So glad for everybody's good news. The sun is out here today too. I still wore lots of layers but no coat, hat, scarves or heat inserts today!!! Just put a deer roast in the oven. It will be ready about 9 tonight. All the animals are loving the sunshine.

Marcy i lost the stupid book LOL just have to give the serial number to the guy at Lowes and he said he would get me one. Though he did give me all the wrong manuals from the beggining ? grunt. its been a while since i have used the convection so i m a little rusty.
went to my work out , felt good
yeah spring is on its way ! 70 more days whooopeee. i wil ldo the happy dance too with you jar.
so not much going on here
went to grocery
fun huh?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Woohooooo...spring is on it's way!! Stuck my head out the door and it smelled like spring...and sorta felt like it too..after those low temps we've been having for quite a while!
Thanks Joyce!! It is fun to get something new now and then!
Well...I baked a cake...a chocolate raspberry in a 13 x 9 pan....using the convection. I guess I must not have had the cake on the right oven rack. It took just as long as the box said it would?? I watched it closely...tested with a toothpick several times. But I think the rack was too high in the oven....so maybe that is why? Anyway..it did get done (I hope!)
and is now cooling. This has 1/2 cup raspberry jam swirled in the batter....and then I put more on the top of the cake after it was baked...like a glaze. Then when it is all cooled, I will frost it.
I have already found something I don't like about the stove...lol. It has no light on the top??
I told Dave, that is probably because they expect you to have a range hood with a light...which I don't have...and no place to put one unless we take down the cupboard above it. Soooooo..I will get one of those under the counter type lights and put up. Being all black..it is very hard for me to see the controls!!
DD called...had her interview...still doesn't know about job...but it sounds promising.
Sue...can you go online and look for the manual?????
Ric...we were told there is American convection and European convection ovens. The European are the true convections. Those have the extra heater with them. Mine is the American type...just the fan.

Marcy i think i could , really didn't think of it actually. Just one of them things that on the bottom of the do to list . But your cake is making me get a manual asap ! sounds yummy. weird no light on the top ? huh ?
made dinner and it was yummy
sauteed
onion
portabella mushrooms
spinach
jimmy nardello sweet peppers
and lots of garlic !
added chicken with lemon
very yummy
should have made wild rice for my side but didn't think of it :(

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

Marcy the last stove I bought didn't have a light either. I don't think they put them on anymore but what do I know. I like a lot of light so miss it but I have a microwave over it that has a light. My kitchen lighting is very poor... I have a glass top but don't want to can anymore anyway. I think maybe the canning restriction is so you won't scratch the top and also maybe it would get too hot being on that long. I do know I have heard of others that have canned. Anyone with experience with iron skillets on them?? I really love iron skillets but haven't used mine for a few years since I bought the range.
Veronica

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well...Veronica...I think you are probably right about the light. But my old eyes will definitely have to have one somewhere above the stove. I never gave that a thought when I decided to get a black stove! And when I say black...this stove is black ALL over!
Except the oven door glass..lol. I don't know about the iron skillets either? I was wondering about that myself?
The cake was really good! But now I am wondering if the caterer used black raspberry jam instead of the red?????? Mine doesn't taste exactly like hers did? Maybe after it sets for a day or so too...that might make a difference. But we both liked it. I fixed supper using both the top of the range and the oven. I can tell you this: it will take me some time to get used to it! I have to keep referring to the manual to know what to do when! I am used to automatic pilot...lol!

i think on glass tops , canning is ok but pressure canning isn't recomended due to the high heat . i have heard lots of people can on glass tops with no problems .
well kids are in bed so its my time to read. I got a new book by Patricia Cornwell. I love her books. I havn't read a good book since Spook. LOLLL since i got my new eyes i can once again read !
good night friends and sleep well
sue

add rum Marcy LOL ! cake is always better with rum in it :)

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Good evening friends. Marcy, wahoo on the stove. I have a glass topped range, and I use iron skillets, and I also can on mine. I know they don't recommend it, but I have done it. DH says if it breaks, we will buy another one. This one is about 10 years old, so one of the very first ones made. Did they guys say anything about the oven door lock on the old one?

I am not getting excited about spring being on the way. I am keeping my feet firmly planted on the ground, as much can happen in 70 days. Do you realize that is 2 1/2 months? Sure I will wish for it, but not getting my hopes up.

I have had to go somewhere every day this week, and I can guarantee you that I will sleep in tomorrow, and get up when I want, and then do what I want during the day. I was gone from 8:30 till 3:00 today, and you all know what that does to plans around the house!! I got nothing accomplished!

Okay, off to check my email and other threads, and then heading for bed shortly.

Waddy, KY

Marcy, a real convection oven as explained to me has a heating element in the back as well as a fan. A semi convection oven has the fan only. Mine is semiconvection.

I can, I cook with iron skillets, metal pans, if it went on the old stove it's gone on this one. Yes, I do have some discoloration in the burner area and I think I have a scratch or two on the top but I bought this thing to work, not to look like a show piece and work this rascal does. I run two racks in it when I bake breads for market and three racks when making multiple pies. I just love it.

Janet

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL Sue! Brandy would be better!
Bonnie, I asked him what they do with the old stoves, and he said they just junk them! Said don't worry about the lock. Well...maybe I am wrong, but somehow it's hard for me to believe they just junk all of them...especially if they look half way decent and work? Seems like they could make some money fixing some of them and selling them?? I actually thought about putting this one on freecycle, but just didn't have enough time, as we had no where to store it. Plus, what I did to the door lock..lol.
Yeah, Janet, same as what I was told too. Mine is fan only too.
Well...now I have to figure out this new phone! SIL called, and the caller ID works..yayy.
But she was on speaker and I couldn't find a speaker button anywhere to shut that off. So Dave picks up the hand held phone...and then shut it off...cut her off...lol. Called her back, and the speaker was off! So guess it was on his phone...geesh...all this technology is wearin' my brain out! Think I'll hit the sack. Night all! Sleep well!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Marcy if the convection feature is working the shelf used has no bearing on cooking time.
All the shelves cook at the same rate as they all have the same temp.
Maybe the function doesn't work or you set it incorrectly.
On Mom's old Whirlpool w/ the door closed
you pressed Convect, Temp up or down to the correct setting and then Start.
I think hers beeped when it was to temp... can't remember.

Well we got the North wall sanded and 2 coats of Primer on... looks pretty good!
Off to the East wall tomorrow!

Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Yeah Ric..that makes sense! So why did it take my cake the same amount of time to bake as normal. I DID do the convection thing right. Did a rapid preheat to temp...and then it said conv bake....baked it for 34 minutes....tested with toothpick and it was done. Box said 34-38 minutes for 13 x 9 pan.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Regular temp as the box said?
Next time you use it, if you can see it, look to see if the fan is blowing .

Did you lower any of you liquids since you put jam in the batter?
If not the cake would have taken longer than normal to bake.....

Ric

good morning
FIL &MIL are coming over and we are going to do a burn today. got lots of old wood and boxes .
so no excersise for me today :( which is ok with me , My chest is hurting and very painful. DOn't worry its just a muscle spasm its just the area right in the middle of my breats. Honestly i think its due to my breast size. Jumping Jacks are not my friend ! this has been going on for two years. I ain't dead yet LOL
so with that note
got to get kids up and going for school
oh last night i got the scare of my life ! a giant peice of ice broke on the roof and CRASH BANG BOOM i jumped right out of my skin !
bbl

(Zone 5b)

This is shorts and t-shirt weather!

Taynors your dinner sounds so good, will have to put that on the menue for next week, yum.

Marcy, YAY on your new stove! You'll be cooking/baking up a storm now, have FUN! Had a glass cooktop for a while, it was great, if something boiled over it was very easy to clean, no nooks and crannies. When we built this house I decided on a gas cook top in the main kitchen and love that too. I kept the glass top and put it in the kitchen down stairs. My oven has a convection feature and I use it a lot. Don't know what kind of convection, just told the Appliance center make sure it was a good one LOL. Baking time is shorter and the oven self adjusts, I just set the oven at the suggested bake temp and the oven recalculates. Free's up my brain a little bit! LOL
Daylilydaddy - Absolutely nothing wrong with bringing your animals in the house when they need it! Great picture of Sammy & Suzy! My friend always has a chicken, baby goat or pig, in her laundry room during the winter. She said the only problem is that they hate to go back to the barn, it's too much fun in her house!
Hope you all get to go out and enjoy this warm day. I think it's supposed to rain and sleet during the next few days. Still counting days until spring and can't wait for the Spring RU!!! I'm going to take the dogs for a walk now and look for more places in the yard to cram more flowers, trees and shrubs!

Have A Great Day!

Annie

Columbus, OH

I have ice and snow crashing off the roof, too...my house is a Dutch colonial, it has three 'layers' of roof, so it is thump! from the top of the roof to CRASH on the second roof and BOOM on the third. Scared me to death the first time I heard it. I was in the shower, and came running out in a towel, my neighbors must have thought I was insane.

Trying to figure out what to cook for dinner. Potato-leek soup, or asian-style noodle soup with lemongrass. Hmmm

Good morning, I agree it is almost t shirt weather. Have been out filling my bird feeders, and taking the garbage to the road. Just a sweat shirt on, and later on, it could be tshirt only.

I have been having the prettiest birds gathering at my feeders, and sure hope that they will hang around. Would like to get some picks of them. I can't identify any, but with pictures, I may be able to educate myself.

Gonna get busy, as there are many things that I need to do.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The temps went up here overnight to 37°.
We are getting a pure South wind..... deep clouds though.... should hit the mid 40's.
The official High for yesterday was 48°!

Off to do some more work on the Sewing Room.

Ric

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

post the photos here... I am pretty good at ID's of birds....

My Mom and I decided not to feed birds this year. I really miss seeing them.

Thanks, Jules, I can identify the most common ones to this area, but I have been seeing one that has me really puzzled. I will do that, probably one at a time.

well the burn did'nt go as planned .
the stupid pile just wouldn't burn . its just smoldering . uhg . FIL says they may have a big pile of dirt frozen in the middle. So we shall see if it thaws
Celene your soup sounds good ! i made lentil soup with my homemade pork stock. yum
things are melting fast here, no wind . i sat by our smoldering fire as i did add some more straw and branches. flared up for awhile , sure was relaxing ! wish i brought marshmellows :(
very muddy out there.
got the door on the GH, but as usual it doesn't fit. Tried to explain to FIL that next time i want to do the door frame first and make the cattle panel fit the frame . ? am i wrong here ? cuz i got the look from him. LOL
oh well

Waddy, KY

Diesel fuel Sue. Makes wet wood go woosh!!!!

Everything has turns slimy here. First you'd bust your hiney because of the snow. Now it's the mud. It was nice this afternoon to do my afternoon walk outside around the building at work. Flushed 3 deer out of the parking lot.

Marcy, I'm not sure that my baking time is less. It's just more even. Do you have a button or something that you press to make the fan come on in the oven. Mine does. I can bake with or without it. Course when I bake for market the rascal is so full that it probably takes the regular time to bake something because there's more in the oven to heat up.

Making a batch of salsa right now. Didn't have gloves on when I chopped the jalepenos. The ole hands are burning just a little. Guess I never got it washed of in time.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we hit near 50 again today.
The Pond is about 1/2 thawed and I saw a few fish swim by!

We had a water main break in at least 3 places last night out on the main road.
All the gas line work and the low temps I guess.
The breaks were probably there before but the frozen ground kept them from surfacing.
So about 1 PM they shut all the water off for repairs...
they actually knocked on doors and told people!
I was amazed!
Course we were the only ones home...
so all our neighbors started calling as they got home from work.
The Water Dept left tags, but on everyone's front doors... and they all park in the back...lol!
It came back on about 5:30 so no big deal...

It's still 40° at 9:30!
I can get used to this! lol!

Ric

Evening friends. Been super busy today, but it is stuff that is not readily apparent to they eyes. Bill paying, phone calls, filing, ordering supplies for church, repairing my sunglasses which I broke the other day, and don't want to put out $60 for new ones. etc.

Well, I was so busy today, that I forgot to take a few minutes to watch the bird feeders!! just when I get a volunteer to help me identify them.

Marcy, I know that it will take some time for you to get used to the new range, and that's okay, you are not gonna be cooking a banquet or anything anytime soon.

Janet, I hear you on the mud. Even walking across the yard, I went squish, squish, and then squish again. Glad I had on boots. Not complaining, it is much better than the snow and ice.

Don't know what I will do tomorrow, may go look for a new entertainment center. DH bought one of those gas heaters that hang on the wall, as an emergency back up heat source, and I need to get the large entertainment center out of the way to make room for that. My house is just too full. DS and his SO are wanting to furnish a room for DGD, and I told them I would loan them a single antique brass bed. I don't want them to dispose of it, but will probably never have it back in my house. I need to make more space in that bedroom for all my office stuff. Don't get me started on clothes and things. I could have a truck load to donate to GoodWill, if I could ever sneak it out of the house. DH is a hoarder!!

yep we used some diesel fuel. i think it was just to wet still .
good night everyone
sleep well my friends

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Good Morning ORVGers!

Well, we sold our silver truck yesterday. Kind of sad to see that go....

Kavin is in trouble again. He was all bound up and they told Chris that if he didn't go by this morning he was going to have to be hospitalized again. They're concerned he may have cystic fibrosis. He's to be tested at the pulmonarist next Thursday. But the good news is, he did poop! I didn't get a chance to get on here and say pray for poop, but enough people must have been praying. Poor little guy. Anyway, please pray he doesn't have CF.

Drum roll please......I got my hair cut. It's been a year since I had my last hair cut! I surely look different and so far, everyone says they like it. Plus they say it makes me look younger, so that's a good thing. I just hope I'll be able to make it look good. You know when the hairdresser does it and when you do it, it's entirely different!

Okay, need to check some other threads.

Love you guys....

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Yesterday was a good day here. It got up to nearly 50!!! So nice doing the work without having to be all bundled up. Took the horses off the tie line and got them back in their lots. But not without excitement. Shaq and Firefly had to take turns running up to the road a few times. Nearly gave me a coronary when Firefly went out on the highway to turn around just as a car came by. Stupid horses. But they settled in well after their little escapades. We can finally drive the truck back down to the house. Yipee. Makes life so much easier. Finally got my package from Mom that UPS could not deliver until 4 days late. It's a food processor and it was broken when it got here. Mom didn't think to insure it so it's a loss. But she sent 12 "D" batteries. She is so thoughtful. Picked up 5 eggs. Went with DH to feed the other 6 horses across the mountain. He usually does them and I do the animals by the house. Tug is really growing. Be glad when I can get him out and work with him a bit. He is still as gentle as can be. My hip is hurting this morning so I won't be getting out until later. But it is supposed to be another warm day with no rain and even a bit of sunshine. God is good!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone! Yayyyy for warmer temps!!! I love it!
Ric, no...I didn't lessen the amount of liquid...and I did keep opening the oven door to check the cake with a toothpick too...so probably let a lot of the warm air out! The fan WAS running too. I think I shall just have to play with it more!
I didn't cook last night..so stove got a rest....LOL!
Yes, Janet, I have regular bake and then convection bake. It also has different settings for the convection part....like press once for bake, press two for something else, and I think for cookies it was press 4 times. The fan also shuts off when you open the oven door...and then comes back on when you shut it.
I bought a light to put under the cupboard, and what does it say???? Do not use over a heat source!!! Now what??????
Joyce...how short did you get your hair cut???? I bet it looks good! And yes, I know what you mean about doing it yourself as opposed to the hairdresser.!
Janet...did you know if you put milk on your hands when they are burning from hot peppers, it will take it away??? Same for eating them.
Sue...sorry that stuff wouldnt burn! How are the kids??? Ooops..maybe I shouldn't ask that question...!!!!
Bonnie, I want to buy one of those electric heaters they are advertising everywhere...for upstairs. It's so cold up there....and damp. Dave doesn't think it will help that much?
Cajun...sorry to hear your food processor being broken. What a bummer!
Joyce...sorry to hear about Kavin too! Poor little guy! They better keep him on prune juice!
Well...bunches of things to do today...and it all involves running around...so guess I best get at it. Hope you all have a great day!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Curious Marcy does you new Oven automatically compensate for the Convection?
I understand some of them do now.

I did a batch of Brownies last night w/ a 50-55 minute bake time at 325°.
Conv. actual time was 45 minutes at 315°.

Well most of the Room is sanded and about 1/2 is 2 coat primed.
I had to do a little oops mudding in two places or it would be ready for trim.

We hit 50° again and had a bit of Sun!
The Pond is about 1/2 open water now.
We've seen most of the fish slowly swim by so I guess they did just fine.
Most all the snow is gone.

Ric

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Convection cooking is nice. I don't have a convection oven but I used one when I worked as a cook at church camp. It was a big commercial one on tall legs and used those big trays. All the baking we did was in it and it didn't take long. Stuff was put in frozen.

Marcy kids are good. Monday is a holiday
went to the mall and the two book stores are going out of business gee wish i had known that earlier :( everything was gone . i did get two italian cook books .
savannah got nail polish and a journal called the hannah secret journal , that is what she told me to type LOL
austin got a game for his nintendo but its broken ? head back there to tomorrow uhg
home and feed chickens got only two eggs today
got to do nails tonight
bbl

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's where we are so far....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Doing fine under the ice...

Thumbnail by henryr10
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It amazes me how tough fish are.

Tay, sounds like you have my luck. If my ship ever comes in I'll be at the airport. LOL I love books.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.