It's really winter!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1064878/

I saw a request for a new thread.

The photo is my storm door covered in ice. I thought it was pretty neat-nature doing what nature does!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Chele I was thinking of starting a new thread last night but got caught up in Football..lol!

Celene I just need a pound or so to keep around for cooking.
All they have at the regular grocery store are huge boxes.
And MAN are they expensive!
Thanks for the Health Food Store tip.
There's one just a few miles from us.

That picture looks like the ice on the pond yesterday Chele.

The stock pond has a 4" thick layer.
The big pond has a 1 1/2" layer then air then a 1" layer.
I added water yesterday to help replace some of the ice building up at the falls.
Saw a couple of fish swim by as I was drilling holes.... lol!

Looks like we will be back to NORMAL temps by Tuesday!

Ric

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Tuesday is several days away!! Snowing here like it has to.

Been busy working on some sewing that has been neglected. DH and buddies are having a rabbit feast, so helped him with preparing some of that. This will be a good day to stay inside, rest and read later. Everybody stay warm.

spent the morning going to tractor supply to get cracked corn and other stuff . Nothing ! they had nothing left ? so all they way back to urbana and went to my usual place . should have know better.
so the roads were slippery.
drove 35 most of the way
got seeds to order
bbl

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Just got done brooming off the Boardwalk.
Light fluffy and about an inch so far and steady coming down.
No Biggie.

Ric

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I had lunch with a girlfriend yesterday. When we met in the summer for lunch she just wasn't herself and now she's on anti-depression meds and is back to her old self. I'm so glad she took my advise and went to see a Dr. After lunch, I hit Sam's Club for cat food and half and half. Then to the Half Price book store and got one half price book and 4 $1.00 books. Three are John Grisham. After that I went to in-laws house to feed and cuddle with their kitty. When I got home I was exhausted! I was really glad I'd made chili the day before, cause then I didn't have to think about supper.

I had to go do the kitty thing at the ILs and I slid sideways, twice. Main roads weren't too bad, but the side roads were awful. Hopefully by the time I have to go tomorrow, they'll be clear.

I've been putting the rest of the Christmas wrappings and decorations away in the basement and making candy today. I'm on the last batch of cashew brittle for a lady who has ordered 5 bags. I won't be delivering them today, I promise you that!!!!

Love yous guys!

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Ric I saw the pictures of the RU's you posted on another thread....they look like such fun....I really want to know when the next one happens........

Joycet...Stay safe...the roads here are just treacherous and I refuse to go out in this.....the kids are home today and I bet tomorrow as well.

Seeing as there is nothing else to do but enjoy the view of white winter wonderland, I think I will drool over the seed catalog that came yesterday....BBL

Julie

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. BBL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Julie we will give you PLENTY of notice trust me.
RU 's are indeed a blast!

Snow's done here.
2" tops.

Columbus, OH

It's snowing like crazy here.

Well, we have at least 5 maybe 6 inches of snow, and it is still coming down. DH made an attempt to go get DGD, but only got about 4 miles, he said they had done nothing to the roads, and she lives at least 35 miles away. So we will see about going tomorrow.

Time to cook something for supper.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I guess the snow is supposed to start here soon, according to my wood man who just brought me a load of half crappy wood... but at least it's been drying for 3 years. Part of his own stash since he couldn't get into the woods to cut some deadfall. Mike says we might get as much as a foot of snow and that the temps tomorrow will be a bear. Ugh.

I'm trying to set up a web site for the genealogy I've been doing. I now have over 15,500 related documented names in my database. Makes me wonder if they could have ever populated Kentucky without Hardesty's, LOL. My plan is just a trial to see if we can sell short documented lineages (just back to about 1810-1830) for a pittance to folks who don't want to spend a fortune, or don't have the time or inclination to do it themselves.

I'll be happy to make enough to pay for the hosting and maybe my Ancestry.com membership; anything else goes towards a trip to the National Archives and the Maryland Hall of Records later this year.

Stay warm!

when did seeds get so expensive !!! sheesh and then add shipping ! yikes. I just hope i break even this year.
our local paper wants $16. for a weekly add. yes you heard me $16 per week ! yeah that won't happen .
not much else here
got about 6 deer out in the snow playing.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I like Baker Creek because they have 1 flat shipping charge.

Got everything done before the snow got bad. Hopefully we won't lose power.Gotta run the dishwasher.

Waddy, KY

Bonnie, the roads in Frankfort were sort of nasty at noon but by 4:30 the connector and 64 weren't too bad. Shelby County hadn't plowed any of the side roads, or if they had it's already snowed back over. The road in front of our house has maybe 4 inches on it right now.

I'm fortunate that I'm cooking supper and inside right now. DH and kids didn't get started feeding until after 5:00 and something must be wrong because they had to get the tractor and hay forks to feed hay instead of the skid loader. My guess is the skid loader, between the frozen ground and the snow can't get traction and is too dangerous to use. They're saying the windchill is down near zero. I think maybe I'll make a pot of hot chocolate for them when they come in. Hopefully fried chicken, biscuits and milk gravy will hit the spot.

If you all need seed by the half pound and not heirlooms you might try Bunton Seed in Louisville. They've got a website and ship. I think they're pretty reasonable on the seeds that I buy.

Better check the chicken. Later folks.

Columbus, OH

Unbelievable. The USDA came to my house today and seized plants from seeds I ordered last spring/summer from ebay. Kaffir Lime and Key Lime. At the time, I asked the seller if they were licensed for shipping to the USA, and they told me yes, not a mistake that I'll repeat. I get the idea that diseases get transmitted this way, but what are they worried about...seizing plants from seeds that have lived here for months seems a lot like closing the barn door after the horses have escaped.

Celene, what an ordeal. How do you think they knew about your plants? Maybe the seller was ordered to turn over their sales records and many people are getting a visit from USDA agents.

I don't think I have ordered any seeds from ebay, usually from catalogs, and trading with DG people. I do mostly heirloom tomatoes and DH does the rest of the garden veggies.

Well, the snow has finally stopped, and I think by looking outside we may have 6-7 inches. Tomorrow the WL's are saying that the wind will be drifting it, and it could be worse tomorrow.

Janet thanks for the weather update from Frankfort and your area. DH tried to go get DGD this afternoon, and he said that they had done absolutely nothing to the roads around here. They usually clear 421 because there are so many state workers who travel that road, but he said it looked like it may have been plowed but it was still snow covered and getting icy where the traffic had packed it down. Hope the crew got inside and got thawed out. That is why I am so glad we don't actually farm anymore. DH has to go chop a hole in the pond for the horses to drink, and then feed the dogs, but nothing like what you all have to do.

Didn't mention it earlier, but got a statement from the bank yesterday saying DMIL's estate account was 800 over drawn. Well bank was closed and DH was going to call this morning to find out what was going on. Well, a bank worker called at 7:30 this morning, and said that the account was $8,000 overdrawn, well that got DH out of bed and moving really fast. He was at the bank when they opened. Got it all straightened out, the bank had taken money from that account by mistake, instead of taking money from our account to buy a CD. Got quite a scare as we both thought that somehow someone had gotten banking information and was going to clean everything out.

Darius, wow that is a lot of names in that data base. Hope that you can do a trial run and see what the interest in the information is.

Joyce, sorry that you had such a scare going to take care of the kitty. I talked to exDIL tonight, and she said it took her about 2 1/2 hours to drive home from Lexington, which usually is a 45 minute trip. She said that she spun around in the road on 2 different occasions.We laughed about needing new underwear, and she said it almost came to that!

Cajun, hang on, it is headed your way. Please be careful when you go out tomorrow.

Well, off to check a few other threads, everybody stay inside, and be safe and warm.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

This weather has definitely become a bonding experience for us. With 10 people in the house and the kids not having school, we are all getting to know a lot about each other. And they don't have school tomorrow either......still snowing here and expected to keep it up all night.....yuk!!

Don't seeds and plants have to go through customs before being allowed into the country? And how did they know those were the plants that you grew from those seeds? What would have happened if the seeds had not germinated? IDK, just seems really strange....I mean I have heard of people being raided for mass quantities of seeds or plants but never for personal growing pleasure. That sounds so strange that they would single you out like that. What else aren't you allowed to grow? Like the brugs, I was in Florida and I was told I could not grow them because they were considered illegal there because the seeds act like a drug and kids were using the seeds to get high. I do know the neighbor lady got her plants removed....but for USDA to come to the house.....wow

If you have to go out....please please please be very careful.........Be safe and warm tonight.

julie

Columbus, OH

Yes...everyone drive safely!

The USDA ended up at my door because they busted the ebay seller. I'm just collateral damage. I am annoyed that they are just going to kill my plants, I offered to pay for a phytosanitary certificate, and it had NO signs of disease or pests. Perfectly healthy trees. *sigh* Lesson learned, it could be worse--I could be fined, etc. You could tell the guys doing this felt REALLY bad about it.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Wow Clene gets BUSTED!
..... you could have wiped out the entire Ohio Citrus crop!
Shame on you!
Did they send your DH's Swat Team? LOL!

We had about 6" here too. Winds have started up again....
You all stay safe!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Columbus, OH

Yes, my retarded dogs are playing with blowing snow. Good thing it doesn't make them look stupid, lol.

Nice pic Ric.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Celene our cats do it too.... but w/ CLASS! LOL!

Thanks Bonnie..

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Chele isn't nature beautiful...
Your door up close looks like chrystal leaves to me...
It's beautiful
~~~~~~~~~~ to Everyone

Pauletta

Celene the USDA are not know for their intelligence IMHO. i mean its a govt. office. Ok nuff said . don't want to get in trouble with the feds. ! or worse DAVE ! LOL
not much here, snowed in today :( and no beer. :( waaahhhh. out of rum also.
feed chickens
can't see the garden beds , just snow beds .
Ric LOL ohio citrus crop LOL
Bonnie glad you got things straightened out at the bank , whew what a scare. ! that is not fun.
well got to find some trouble to get into in the house
bbl

Well, I have been up for hours, and since DH was still sleeping, couldn't do much because of making noise. So I made a pot of chili, it has been awhile since we had it, and LOL, I ate a bowl for breakfast! Don't think I have ever done that but it was good, and I think it would be good anytime of day.

DH just left to go pick up DGD, she is planning on sledding, and I am hoping that she has someone to go with her, besides me!!

Don't know what i will get into today, maybe just have an easy laid back day.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We made the night just fine. Had a bit of wind but the snow has quit for the most part and we ended up with about 3 inches. DH tells me we are supposed to get 6 more inches today. It's not the wet snow like we got before Christmas so it's not so bad. I need to check all the animals. Horses are fine. It's as cold as a polar bear's hind end. Not looking forward to getting out in it to feed up but it has to be done. I'll eat me a good breakfast first. Feeding everything extra corn to help with body heat. Maybe I should crunch a few handfuls with breakfast. LOL Hope the hill is easier to climb. Say a prayer for me, please.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Good luck Cajun!

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Even the stored Stainless looks good under snow w/ lights....lol!

Thumbnail by henryr10

love it ! very pretty

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

The lights look so pretty against the snow.

Columbus, OH

Ric, I love the lights, they're beautiful. You and Robyn are inspiring gardeners, even in the snow :)

well T just called me and man o man .
Chinese customs are crazy. They take you out to dinner and they drink ! and drink and drink. This is no ordinary alcahol this stuff is 50 proof .They love to make toast 's to you and/or who ever is the toast'ee . Poor T he is not a drinker at all an occasional beer, but that is it.
If you refuse to drink , your looked on as rude. The chinese don't do rude ! and your expected to toast back to the original person who toasted you and so on and so on it goes forever . He did 12 shots ! If you don't do this. They will not respect you, nor will you be accepted in the business .. They shun you . Poor T .
He had to drag the owner who was a staggering, out of control drunk, up 4 flights of stairs . He (the boss ) is a big guy too. 6' 4" and 220 lbs. He finely knocked him out and dragged him up with another fellow worker and dumped his sorry butt on the bed and left. I don't think his boss will remember anything tomorrow ? LOL at least i hope not.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Poor T!
They should have sent You! LOL!

LOL :P

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

He could have toasted them with your cake. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Or at least practiced! ;-)

hehehehee

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

Ric that second picture is so pretty. The colors really show up the snow.
Bonnie what is it with you and me not sleeping. Woke up this morning at 2 am and had gone to sleep around 11 or 11:30. That was it. I finally got up at 4:20 and put on the coffee and watched TV. I am afraid of waking DH also as he has plenty of sleep problems of his own. I do this every so often but hate it when it is so cold.
Veronica

neighbor kids came over and took them out to sled and pull them in the RTV. man i m pooped.
warmed up to hot coco and marshmellows. was good
so they girls are upstairs playing and the boys are down here watching a movie Ghost Busters
so that is what our exciting life is doing LOL
sprinkle of snow but not windy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.