Came from here!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060267/

This message was edited Jan 5, 2010 4:08 PM

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks!

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous head pic!

Here is what I would like to have in the garden RIGHT NOW( instead: 1/2 foot snow, tomorrow anyway)>

Thumbnail by DMgardener
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

We're supposed to get snow tomorrow night....

How much? Here it's gonna be 6 inches, supposedly, lol.

probably just a few inches, but the temp is low, so it's going to ice over and the roads will be bad. The kids are just excited about being out of school, as if they haven't been home for the last 2 weeks

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well if I have done the math right sounds like 3 to 10 inches of snow here. As pointer finger goes up in air making a circle of whoopeedo.....but then this is the midwest!

Tonight
Snow
Lo: 16°
POP: 90% Snow. Snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Temperatures nearly steady 14 to 18. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Thursday
Blowing Snow
Hi: 21°
POP: 100% Snow. Areas of blowing snow. Snow accumulation of 4 to 6 inches. Highs in the lower 20s. Light and variable winds in the morning becoming northwest around 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 100 percent.

Thursday Night
Blowing Snow
Lo: 8°
POP: 70% Cloudy with snow likely. Areas of blowing snow. Some snow accumulation possible. Lows 6 to 10 above. Wind chills as low as zero to 10 below zero. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Relax kids its winter...this parts the easy part its the stuff that comes after the storm that we all enjoy.. like shoveling, and like the freezy thawy rain and snow tires, its what they are not saying yet. Honker down for possible power outages....snuggling.. busting buckets.. slip sliding.. butt walking.. river risings .....aint winter grand! ooohRAH!

Zzzzzzzzz......

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

They are predicting 2-4" herein PA. I am glad it is below freezing so that it will be snow not ice.

ONLY 2 1/2 inches of snow here...But I stayed in a dreamed of what the garden will be>

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ooooh yay...we get to drive in it. goosedown flakes a flying as we wake. Id be a happier camper without the 10-20-30's

Friday AM -
Snow
Hi: 14°
POP: 30% Cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Highs 12 to 16. Wind chills as low as zero to 10 below zero. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph at Times.

Friday Night
Partly Cloudy
Lo: -2°
Partly cloudy. Very cold. Lows zero to 4 below. Wind chills as low as 10 below to 20 below zero. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday
Mostly Sunny
Hi: 10°
Mostly sunny. Highs 8 to 12 above.

Saturday Night
Mostly Clear
Lo: -1°
Mostly clear. Lows 3 below to 1 above zero

U got COLD!!! Hope Saturday really turns out to be a warm-up...

Here, it was snowing for a while in the Morning, then a gorgeous blue sky came out and made all 3 inches of snow shine, then the clouds and snow came back until about 6 pm, then the sun set and the stars are making the 4 inches of snow glitter... so pretty! Almost as good as endless Zinnias

Did anybody grow Zinnia tenufolia this year? It is really a weird Zinnia. The plant is THE first to bloom, even faster than Thumbelina. And each plant is about 3 inches wide, 1 1/2 feet tall. The blooms are on the spidery side...>

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dan, zero here actually feels warmer than 30! Well, the wind was not what they said. Only saw 2 cars in the ditch in my travels.

That zinnia is weird looking! I have seed for red spider that I hope to sow.

I think I bought some seeds for zinnia red spider this year.

You will luv 'em!! They are so interesting and tropical. I just wish they were more photogenic;) LOL!

~Daniel

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Daniel, what did you mean when you said "each plant is about 3 inches wide, 1 1/2 feet tall"? The width seems odd to me? I do love the blooms, and am thinking I've got some coming in a big seed swap I participated in- keeping my fingers crossed.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yep, he did saythat.. what are you talking there Dan?

Yes, Gemini and Blossom, they really are that wide and tall, if that's what you wanted to know. I collected lots of seeds, and they are so early to flower! I think that they bloomed before the tulips, lol!

~Daniel

P.S. Yet another pretty Zinnia, BigRed+A fluke BigRed>

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

So they don't have side branches? Just a really skinny plant?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, I get it. Just a stual and the flower... that splains it Lucy!

So over this freezing cold weather!

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I wish! todays its sposed to be near 30 if not 35 and with the wind feels worse than below zero. Snows thawing, but thats why it feels colder too all the moist air. Just the kind you get frost bite in.

we are supposed to get up to 47 today and mid 50's tomorrow, but still in the low 20's at night! FREEZING!!!

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well it would be nice if it would just get about 50 and stay there for a bit.

Those are lovely zins there lili! Love the stripe

I think those were Candy Canes Zinnia. I like the cactus zinnias best, but I didn't get a large selection of colors on those.

There were these beautiful dark violet purple at a shopping center near my home and I managed to get lots of those seeds. I don't have any good pictures though. They look like they could be those giant ones. The flowers had so many petals that they fold over on the bottom edge.

Here is a pretty soft pink.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Gemini, they have so few tiny side branches and so few tiny everything that the plant is only 3 inches wide. I know it is a bit weird, but that is how it is! I hope that next year, maybe they will change their "minds" and get a bit wider! LOL!

Lili, incredible striped Zinnia and that pink one is fantastic! What color would you say that orangey one is? Burnt orange and red? Smoky apricot?

~Daniel

Yet another Cactus>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

May be a brick red? It was deeper orange color.

How about this coral pink one? I like this color.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Gorgeous!!

Brick red sounds about right, thanks Lili!

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That is bizarre Daniel, but sounds kinda cool too! If thats normal for them, and not just a fluke, those red spiders would be nice filling in between other flowers. Something low, white, and mounding would show them off nicely.

LilliMerci, that red one is a stunner- I just love those big, fat blooms with loads of petals!

I think this may have been discussed earlier, but I don't think I was clear what the answer was. When saving seed, is there some way to better the odds of getting fully doubled offspring? I was lucky this year with mostly nice full blooms, and yanked out the 1 or 2 naked cones. I kinda figured if there's cross pollination, its with other good ones, so that should be a good thing? For the last couple of years I've been growing seeds I purchased from Swallowtail Gardens and Pinetree Seeds, and they've been really nice. The individual colors from Pinetree were excellent, the Aztec Orange ended up being my favorite- really big blooms! I saved some from some of my favorites, but just looking at the offerings again its very tempting to order again (now that my purchased seed is used up).

Daniel, is that a yellow cactus zinnia? I've not seen one. I have one of the yellow zinnia but it doesn't get as tall as the California Giants. I can't remember the name off of the top of my head, but a popular cultivar.

I think this is a peppermint

This message was edited Jan 13, 2010 4:54 PM

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! that yellow looks almost like a coreopsis

*Gemini, when I finally got around to photographing Red Spider I was really surprised at the mature plant. A very unusaul plant, worth growing. A carpet of Alyssum would look very good, gemini. In fact, that is what I will be doing next year, LOLOLOL!!!

*Lili, such slight flecking on the Candy Cane! And that coral one! Does it have a name?
And you are right, that is a yellow Cactus Z. I found it growing wild (escaped from the spreading of the pack, lol!) And photographed at about 7 weeks of age.
I was thinking about ordering some of Pinetree's Zinnias, as they seem to have one of the largest selections + single colors, which are hard to find.

A yellow cultivar (on the short side, only 2 1/2 feet) I grew last year was called Canary Bird (got in trade, not from Pinetree). It was incredible>>>

Blossom, it does kinda now that you mention it!! LOLOLOL!

Thumbnail by DMgardener

no, the soft pink was in a package combine with some mixed colors. The only seeds I've bought that is a single color is the Zinnia Envy. I don't know if I have a photo of the Envy - lost my hard drive in May so I lost many of my plant photos.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Ohhh... I lost my hard drive day after Christmas 2008. I was bad. A really big virus disabled everything on the 'puter and then saving as much as possible on CD was nescessary. The virus corrupted 3 of the 15 CDs, so some info was lost, but most was recovered with techhelp.

Here is a pic of Envy w/ Purple Prince>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Don't you just hate that? I have an external back up drive now. Oh well. My cousin is trying to see if he can recover it. I'm OK with it if it's gone. I had just downloaded my vacation pictures too AND had already deleted them off my camera!

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yano, if you guys would send your pix to your email, you can store them there and not lose them. Or use an external memory stick.
sOME EMAIL ADDIES IF YOU DO NOT USE THEM IN A CERTAIN PERIOD OF TIME WILL DUMP YOUR MAILS so watch out for that.

I hear that alot of people uses Yahoo for that purpose. That's too much work for me.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yeah, but it will save yer bacon in the photos and you dont have to have a photo bucket.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

AND... if your PC crashes, you can go to any pc. EZ PZ... beats the hoya out of losing it.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

yano, you do not have to open those emails, just store them and only go to that box accassionally to keep the email active. If you send them first to your mail you answer, then forward them to the email you store.. no big deal.. just make sure the forward works and put a title of the pic in the subject matter. You dont have to date it, its dated in the email.... or you dont even have to do that because the photo thingee will take you to the picx on the search.

Well, suit yourself. Taking 1000's of picks, I would hate to lose a one!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, got some California Giants in today...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.