Help me harvest agalinis seed

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

My pasture right now is beautiful with the pink Plateau Agalinis (Agalinis edwardsiana), which is an annual that graces us with its presence sporadically. I would like to have it every year, and hope to accoomplish that by planting some in beds and keeping out some of its competition. I'm not sure exactly when or how to harvest the seed. I presume they will be in the little swollen base of the fallen flower, which is all green now. Will it turn dark when ripe, and must I wait for it to ripen on the plant?

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Aimee ... i've search high & low, unfortunately it is difficult to find info on this plant. this link is the only one i could find that gave a little info http://www.seedsource.com/catalog/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=3134

i tried... ma vie rose

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Ma Vie, I didn't realize you had posted this. I bookmarked the site, and will go back there to see what else they have from my area. Meanwhile, I was able to gather a few seeds since I posted here. They have to be watched closely, because one day they appear too green and soon after they are open and difficult to capture without spilling them. Thank you so much for finding the site with a perfect picture. I am pleased to know someone is selling the seeds.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Aimée, i was reading earlier in the succulent category about how someone was saving seeds --- it was suggested that u cut a small piece of a used woman's "silk stocking". place over the hosiery on the seed head & tie so as seeds stay intact, instead of being disperse automatically. i think that is a good idea. if not mistaken it was CrassulaLady's[?] thread on sharing propagation secrets.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

It works with some things, Ma Vie, but these little plants are much branched and it would take hundreds of individual stockings. I used that method on some gaura, and they developed mold and rotted. Apparently, the dew was too heavy and I had them crowded where they couldn't dry out. Now that I have a small stock of seeds, I might try to do it with a few plants to see if it will work with agalinis. Most of them have finished blooming and there are many seeds on the plants. Incidentally, my plants have a pink bloom like the prairie agalinis, but I am definitely not in a moist area as my wildflower book indicates is required by these. Maybe somewhere along the way the prairie and the plateau types crossed and I have some mutation or natural hybrid? I have three of the books mentioned at that site, and rely heavily on them, but I wish they would describe the process of gathering seed with each plant. As efficiently as you use information, you should consider writing a book including that information! I would buy it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.