Weather Forecasting Folklore

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Jay, I think you are right about a lot of folklore legend being region specific and which side of the regional mountains you live. LOL about the dogs...they train us well, don't they?

Got 2" of snow yesterday and light flurries this morning. My neighbor cows are still huddled up....more snow and/or storms to come?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Maybe it's just where they threw the hay? LOL

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

May be, but they obviously don't like getting their hooves cold/wet either, as they aren't moving around the pasture at all. Curious to see what they do when the owners come to feed this afternoon. The cows usually run up to the pickup carrying the feed.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

We eagerly await your observations... now what with climate change, we must begin anew to craft our weather observations and reliable observations of cows, et. al. will be at the heart of our system...
I can't always get the radio in clear, but I can always see a cow around here! LOL

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

"Dances With Wolves" is my all time favorite movie.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

The music still makes me choke up.
Apparently those buffalo totaled a couple of trucks before the handlers gave up on the idea... the buffalo ran OVER the trucks, not around them. Yikes.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Exactly!

Quoting:
now what with climate change, we must begin anew to craft our weather observations and reliable observations of cows, et. al. will be at the heart of our system...
I can't always get the radio in clear, but I can always see a cow around here! LOL

Two observations still underway....1) we're on day 3 of snow fall, about 4" of snow so far and 2) the cattle aren't huddled up as much as the past two days.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Update on the snow theory....

It snowed 1" 5 days ago, 4" yesterday and 2" this morning. So far, it's snowed six days, combined total of 10". Although the snow is beautiful, I can't wait for spring.

My neighbor cows have been moved to the back pasture....I miss seeing them out front.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

We've had.. 4 days of snow.. combined inches... 15" i believe.. this one was had to measure.. 10" in one spot.. 5" in one spot in the yard.. so who knows. It drifted pretty badly. They claimed we only got 7" so that's what i'm going by.. ( I want more snow too...so that's why i'm agreeing with the weather man.)

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I knew I was forgetting something in that last post! The first snow for me this winter was January 7th..... so 7 days, 7 inches or 7 snow storms? We've had ....6 days, 10" and only 1 would be considered a storm.

I measured out in the yard where it was level, because we had a lot of drifting, too.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

my yard is mostly on a hill.. we were measuring in the flattest parts, like driveway, then the road, then a few places in the yard but out from under trees.

24th of Dec, 2 storms, only snowed 4 days tho overall...

Took us nearly all afternoon to get some good sledding tracks made, we built in turns & bumps. The kids were to be here all day today to sled, their mom called this morning, they had to be home early. waaaay early bc she forgot their fathers bday. Talk about some very unhappy kids. They are praying they can come back & night sled tonight for a couple hours. We've got 8 tracks, various speeds & skill levels made. The bunny track for the toddlers... clear to the speed demon for the less accident prone ones. (curves around a tree halfway down)

Richmond, TX

I want to come sled with you!

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL come on porkpal... I'm hoping the kids can come back either tonight or tomorrow night to sled after dark. When the sun goes down the tracks ice back up & they get even faster! We pulled out the metal disk sled & beeswaxed it too. :) it really slides if your small enough to sit on it.

counted 12 snow birds. :) suppose to snow more tomorrow.. not a lot.. but anything helps!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Happy Sledding! Do you go down the hills too, Greykyttyn?

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

o my word yes! someone has to teach the younger generation. :) Its the only reason to have cold & snow.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, 7 is not my lucky number this time around. Totals so far: accumulating snow on 9 days and total accumulation 15". Can't complain though...we were lucky compared to the surrounding areas.

Adding another...In winter, when pigs rub up against their pens, it is a sign of a thaw.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

:) how many actual snow storms have you had already?

W've got 8 inches left... or another 20 storms... or something like 15 days with snow on the ground. Probably get it around Easter. O could I be so lucky?

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

We've had 5 snow storms. Haven't checked to see what's in the forecast. Got a good melt going on our south facing slopes the last couple of days with a little sun.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

We've got sleet, snow & freezing rain on the way.

I was so happy.. i went out on my porch to feed the cats this morning & behold it was warm! (barefoot of course) the wooden floor was so very toasty warm from the morning sun. I just stood there in my pj's & soaked up my fake spring weather. i love my snow but i long for spring.. I hate being inside so much.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I just saw 3 geese flying NW. That means they think the worst is over. hehe. No robins have been around the past few days so they agree with the geese. Yaaaay. The weather liars are saying it will be warmer over the next 7 days. Yaaaay.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

geese have been flying NW here all winter.. and spring.. and fall.. and summer. hundreds of them! i gave up on that one. Then the next day they fly south.. & then N again.. back & forth like they are lost. :)

I've also heard..

When bluebirds appear spring is here!

problem with this.. my bluebirds never leave! Snow birds are still here tho.. so winters not gone yet. when they leave spring is usually a couple weeks out.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Mesquite only blooms after the last freeze.

Richmond, TX

That's also supposed to be true of the pecans budding - no more freezes.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

Robin I dont know about folklore or voodoo but i do know every time my boss was around my ass hurt

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

And since when did kentucky become a thriving metropolis

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

It's not, but where I live isn't the boonies. ;)

I've had bosses that had the same effect on me.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes I`m gonna become a real workaholic now yessiree mention work and I`m gonna get drunk! heheheheheehahahahahahah

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

Kentucky whiskey yea baby whiskey a gogo

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

Fly Robin fly, and where on earth is hooterville I meen Caneyville?

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I"m still trying to decide if or how to respond to the previous post. LOL

Halfway between Owensboro and Bowling Green, 7 miles from a small town and a major 4 lane highway. Far enough to be reasonably private, close enough to be reasonably conveinent.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

Batman says check your wallet Imean you have a dmail homey

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'm late seeing this thread. Just as well as I have nothing to add!

Apropos of nothing... did you know cows can lose half their body heat and still survive?

I remember the winter my NC town had snow after snow until it was over 6' deep and the farmer's couldn't get out to feed cattle. The National Guard was assigned the job of dropping hay bales from helicopters but had to be stopped because they were dropping them on the cattle and killing them!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I remember hearing about the hay drops.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

Darius,I have a brother in Mt.Airy NC anywhere near you? He says its beautiful.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

YO Whats with all that mountain top removal? Looks awfull! Ever here of Betsy.Kentucky? I was in the Marines with a cat from there.Said he had no drive,only a path to his folks home.And that they heated with coal,which thet dug from a seam right behind their house .

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

EoM, Mt Airy is about an hour away as the crow flies. By road, it's an hour and a half... It's mostly foothills, not as rugged as the mountains, but not flat, either.

NC passed the 'Ridge Law' legislation years ago forbidding building right atop the peaks, but passed nothing about mountaintop removal nor clear-cutting. I lived in Boone off and on for years. I swear it will soon all be flat; it's worse every time I visit, which is several times a year.

About 80% of my county here in SW Virginia is National Forest, and so far it's fairly well-protected.

Sorry for the hijack Robin!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

No problem.

EastOfMidnite, Darius is a great one to discuss building sustainably.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

OK, so my white donk has started to shed out, but my black donks haven't. I've got one donk that holds his coat til the end of July, shedding it only so he can grow in a new winter coat.

It'd be hard to predict anything other than suppertime by these guys.... LOL

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Interesting. I wonder if there's an unnoticeable difference in the coats.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello, Robin8888888 whoo`ps wrong button hi and hello----Brian

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.