cabbage palm problem

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I have 2 cabbage palms there about 7 feet high in pots.. I wasn't sure if i could leave them outside in 6a so i brought them into my livingroom for the winter.. its not a very sunny room only one good window for light... My problem is slowly the leaves are truning brown at the bottom quite fast (more then normal) and the ends are getting brown.. is this just cause of lack of sun, is it a water problem (i let the dry between waterings) and if it is one of the tow will it bounce back in the spring once outdoors.. I havent seen any site of bugs so i really dont think thats the issue...
any help with this would be great.. this is my first year with them and i would hate to loose them..
thanks
Jen in Canada

Thumbnail by smurf428
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

this is a Cordyline (related to Agaves), not a palm. Don't water it like one. Sounds like it might be drying up a bit and browning as it should in such a situation. As long as the top leaves are fine, it should be OK, but these really need a LOT of light (like full sun) to do well, so not sure how it will overwinter in your home. Would put this is the brightest window in the house and keep the soil on the dry side.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

ya I do keep it dry.. I was worried that was the problem, but I figured that they grow in the tropics and its dry there most of the time.. I didn't think they would require alot of water.. I wasn't aware they were Agaves.. That will give me a bit moreto go on.. I just dont have the light in that room.. I hope they make it till spring..
thanks for the help
jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.