Pre-Holiday Snow Storm

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Well... it's here! It has been snowing since about 7pm in F'burg, and as Bec said at the end of the other thread, the traffic was unreal! Wak-Mart was being mobbed as though the world were ending, but I had to get some groceries! During the ONE HOUR that we were in Wal-Mart, from 8-9pm, it snowed three inches! I was stunned when we had to clean that much off the truck! After we got home and put the groceries away, we all went out and played in the snow for a while. At this time (2am) we have 9 inches on the balcony... no signs of letting up. It is supposed to snow through tomorrow night! I know you may not like the term Bec, but I think this one will be historic for the area.

This photo is of US Route 1, in Fredericksburg. I am standing in the southbound lanes, looking north. That was at 11:30pm. As you can see, there is NO traffic!

To all... stay safe, warm and dry... and well-fed and beveraged! *LOL!* Post your photos, tell us what you are up to, and how much you get! Enjoy!!!

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Ok, I hate to admit it, but the term "historic" is not so far off now - all I can say is WOW! and I'm loving it - I'll be outside tomorrow playing in it ^_^ I was reading the weather updates and apparently the worst is yet to come as far as snowfall is concerned _ I gave DH a look and told him I can predict his future for tomorrow - shoveling snow! ^_^

On a serious note - I hope everyone is safe and hunkers down at home and don't go out there driving in it unless they really, really have to...

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Arghhh, so much for the 8"-10" totals they predicted - I think we've already got at least 18" out there!!!! Pretty...but with me trying to keep an 8 mo. old pup "quiet" for a few more days after last week's surgery I'm not sure how successful that will be! Lucy and Phoebe have already had their first romp this morning and it was anything but quiet! LOL Lots of shoveling will be required here today :( We made a quick trip to Rick's parents just as the storm started yesterday afternoon and an hour later we got stuck on the approach to home and almost didn't make it - it's accumulating fast and more to come!

Becky, with Samson's size he'll have no problem manuevering through the white stuff but Bandit will probably get lost :)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I am getting some lite snow here that is not part of the system you are getting to the south east of me. Our's is off the lake and covers the area in Ohio, Pa and into New York.

For your reading pleasure as you are staying warm, and sipping your Hot Coco in front of the computer.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/a/historic-blizzards

Hello all mid-atlantic snowmen and women!

Today is Christmas Day for my family and I, and we are having a dream white Christmas!!! The girls have opened their presents, the living room looks like a bomb went off, and we are having a blast!!! After our lunch, we are all going trekking out into the snow! More photos to follow!

I am cooking turkey in the crockpot, with all the fixings for dinner... mashed potatoes, corn, mac and cheese, stuffing, peas, and hot rolls! Life is good and we are blessed!

Here are two photos from our balcony this morning... I am sure that some of this accumulation is from snow blowing off the roof. I have not been out to get a measurement yet.

This is Skye checking out the white stuff... I don't think she was impressed!

Oops!!! Got the photos switched! Oh well!

Everyone continue to stay warm, dry and safe!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

What a sight to wake up to! Luckily for Bandit the deck keeps the worst of the snow away from the backdoor - so he can do his 'business' - Samson seems totally unfaced by it - I'm gonna get dressed warmly here soon and go out and play a little - Greg got the worst of the snow off the awning and brushed off the birdfeeder and filled it again ^_^ What amazes me is that people still think they can actually drive in this - 4x4 drive does not mean you're safe if you don't know how to drive in it! I'm watching the news and I find it amusing...sorry! I do feel for the emergency services - they get called out to help knuckleheads get unstuck!!

I'll be taking pics!!!

My Mom said that over 100 tractor trailer trucks are stuck on Interstate 81... and by them getting stuck, it has starnded hundreds of other vehicles on the interstate because they can't get around the trucks. Many people apparently spent the night in their cars on the interstate. EMS is out now, trying to get to all the motorists and take them to shelter. I am sorry for all those people and hope they are OK, but it makes me glad I have the sense to stay in with my family.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Just a quick walk outside ^_^ Awesome, it's up to my knees!

So, I'm walking and what do I spot, a moron neighbor stuck in the middle of the road - I was gobsmacked - we tried to help him get unstuck - not a chance - so now if and when the plow comes by he'll get buried and/or the truck will more than likely not be able to get past him! I just looked at him and asked him flat out "what the heck were you thinking?!?!?!" Not a truck, not a 4x4 - the snow was way past his bumpers! He'd been spinning his wheels so much that it was just pure ice under the tires...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Greg removing snow from awning!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Just a 'little' snow

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Snow or rain - always a JETS fan!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Our street

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

My car

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

If it ain't a 4x4 it ain't going nowhere!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

These will be stuck for a few days

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Too deep even for making snow-angels!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

VWRose--what a warm loving start to the snow season.
Bec- some people...aiieee!

We had a nice thick blanket by morning. Then it REALLY came down hard during the afternoon!! Measures 20 inches on the table. I can hardly believe it. Its been a long time since we've had this much---and that usually comes in Feb. What are we in for the rest of the winter? Heck has winter even officially begun? I forgot to buy bread so used this chance to try again. I think I did it--will have to slice it to be sure. ANd made bean soup and baked a chicken...Gottta fuel the shoveling. Hope we can do some cookies tonight and decorate the tree.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly went to get Josh so he could weld his broken snowblower, then I took him home and stopped at the local Super Fresh to get coffee, so as not to run out. I don't want to go back out even in our 4x4s, half the drivers I saw were either in 2wd's and slip slidin' away or thought their 4x4 made them 10'tall and bullet proof. LOL
It is beautiful out, but we're to recieve 1-2"s an hour till 6am, with winds to 35 mph, can you say WHITE OUT. I really do enjoy the beauty though as you can see. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

We took our walk around 3pm today....

This was US Route 1 at that time... same location and same view as the first photo of this thread.

A couple of pics of a creek near our apartments... pretty!

With bridge... actually Rt 1 going over.

I thought this was interesting...
Snow ripples in the creek!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

VWR,You always take the most beautiful pictures. Hope your dinner turned out really well and you all and especially the girls had a wonderful time.

Dinner was fabulous if I do say so myself! The walk in 20 inches of snow was not as fun as we had anticipated! The girls got cold quicker than I had anticipated, then we had to walk back! They enjoyed playing indoors with all their new treasures and books though.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

It was really cold out yesterday. Ditto on the great pictures. I just stepped out on the deck to enjoy a few moments of absolute silence. Its rare here because of our proximity to the airport and to highways. You always have highway drone in the background , whether you are thinking about it or not. Now=== chicka-dee-dee-dee,... chirpchirp...so peaceful. I should get some pictures--AFTER coffee. I could almost just take a big blanket, and coffee, and sit right on the deck, and enjoy. (except the chair has two feet of snow on it!)
I got Addy out for potty with biscuits as bait. Then she took a run on a path that must have happened overnight by some brave sledding teenagers cutting through. Then she took a side leap into the deep powder and you could see her rethinking the situation. Hmmm, back to the path. But another exploratory run, she is having fun with it, before back inside to warm to tootsies. Yesterday she was out as long as one of us was. My son eventually went inside but she stood guard by me while I shoveled some more. Good dog!
It looks like we got 23 inches by a gauge we set up on the table. But the last inch is arguable. Did it pile higher around the gauge, or did it slope more away from the stick because it was getting so high, it couldn't keep on piling? We forgot to arrange our vehicles for easy access, so we'll have to clear a path down the whole driveway before one of our main vehicles can get out. Then the plow will come by and block it again.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

some from me

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by onewish1
Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh My - I can't open the door. Too much snow!! Snug, :o)

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Our street earlier this morning (12/20) -- those are cars out front!
Snug, :o)

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Love all your pics. Onewish, your Christmas decorations reflecting in the snow are awsome! Snug

Yes... the Christmas decorations in the snow are very pretty!

This is not my house, but one we passed Friday night on our way home.
I just had to stop and take a few pics!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love that shot.. I told Randy we need to move to Richmond ... they have a tacky light contest every year

http://www.tackylighttour.com/default.aspx

here are some more videos of my house

http://picasaweb.google.com/AllisonNJ71/ChristmasLights2009?feat=directlink

Wow! I don't call them tacky! That is alot of lights though!
How pretty! We still love to drive around with the girls,
looking at all the beautiful lights!

Skye continues to be the only one curious enough of the snow to go out on the balcony...

Friday, when it started snowing, I covered the planters that I have poured birdseed in...
(Still waiting on the first little visitors!)
I uncovered them this morning, and poured fresh seed on the banister.
I also added a suet feeder, to the right.

Come, little birds, come!
We have food for you!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Took a walk around the neighborhood :)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Everyone is getting a good workout today

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.