Ladies only: decluttering our traditions, and regifting.

northwest, IL(Zone 5a)

This is going to be brillo pad harsh. I'm more about function and transparency then frills and fiction.

Tis the season of tradition and regifting ugly, useless gifts.
Time to just say "no" girls!
When you are given that special regift that says "I thought of you when I thought about whether I should freecycle or goodwill this ugly useless gift" first be sure to thank them, and write a thank you note. And in your heart of hearts be grateful. But the next step is often screwed up. So listen closely. Just say no to regifting it. Get rid of it. You are not going to want the next person on your 'to do' list to have to be in the same position you are now. It is ok, in these frugal times to declutter your life of useless gifts by way of the trash can. I know those 2 facts might do war in your soul. It's ok. It's for the greater good. I'm giving you permission.

Secondly, let's let go of traditions that are senseless. Why do women send last years clearance rack cards to each other with nothing but a signature? I guess that's fine if you in a business relationship, or writing an inlaw you dislike. But with women who you are wanting to retain as BFF? or FF? or someone who used to be FF but the F part has faded away. Seriously, what are you trying to convey? "I want to cross you off my to do list." or "I just want this done before I go have holiday fun." "I need to declutter my life of you, but let's pretend otherwise."

I once witnessed relatives at a reunion frantically signing cards and passing them out to save postage. I was dumbfounded. These were women who rather than connect, opted to waste their time like this. I'm still baffled by it. Is it just me?

Christmas cards made sense during the pony express age, or the telegraph age. I wasn't alive back then and I doubt you were either. However, as women, we've spent many an hour continuing this tradition. There are more efficient ways to connect and retain friends these days. Find one. Shorten you list. I give you permission. It's for the greater good. Do you really want your daughters to be in your shoes: doing frantic things every Christmas for their whole lives, because we can't end silly traditions? You have my permission to change this. Be strong.

I would or could go on to say how men are smarter than women, how they don't engage in either of these silly traditions. I could mention how they used to wear heels, makeup, and wigs, and... how they have changed this. How they are no longer encumbered with the makeup touchups, sore feet and lack of exercise opportunities from wearing heels, or itchy, hot scalps from wearing wigs. I could, but I won't. I think you get then idea.

Oh sure, I suppose you could say I'm wishy-washy on this. You could point I did wear a black leather miniskirt this year. It was $2 at goodwill, and I just looked hot -hot -hot in it, but afterwards it went back to goodwill. Leather, isn't all that comfortable to bend in, and sitting in a miniskirt is an art in itself. I don't know any men, that would go to that level of discomfort to look hot hot hot. On the other hand, I wanted to know I still had a hot factor. So, perhaps men are smarter than women, but we can change that, I think, at least.. ...one card and re-gift at a time. The leather miniskirt is totally your option! ;-)

This thread has 45 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!