Rudbeckias

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

except for Goldstrum,these are biennals for me so I'm sticking them in the Annual forums.

This is one that comes up volunteer every year. Don't know it's name but it's a big beautiful bloom.

Thumbnail by bigred
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I love rudbeckias. Most that I have seeded do not winter over, so I treat them as annuals.

last spring I started from seed: Goldilocks,Tiger Eye, Cherokee Sunset, Cherry Brandy, Moreno, and Cappuccino. I started a few of each indoors and also wintersowed them. There was about a 2-3 week bloom time delay with ws.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm an avid rudbeckia fan as well.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've done Goldilocks,Chim Chim (whatever that one was named?),Cherokee Sunset and a few others. I use to have one that came up every year also totatly chocolate brown on a yellow background and wouldn't yu know it...the moment I traded away all my seeds,it quit coming back self sewn...ACK!

I have r.trifolia(trilobia?) "Red Spot" in pots in the greenhouse to set out this coming spring.Someone sent me a few seeds of Cherry Brandy as a bonus in a trade so we'll see what those do this year.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Most of them seem to act as annuals down here also. Had a few that returned the following year, but not very many. Currently blooming down here are: "Prairie Sun", "Tiger Eye Gold" and "Irish Eyes". Currently growing and/or still alive are: "Autumn Colors", "Maya", "Goldsturm", "Cherry Brandy" and "Goldquelle". Have seed but haven't yet planted are: "Moreno", "Goldilocks". "Green Eyes" and "Indian Summer". The best performer in 2009 has been "Tiger Eye Gold". Its been blooming since May. The worst performer in 2009 was "Cappuccino". Had four of them and saw one or two blooms in total. All four plants then suddenly died.

Jon

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,Jon...where's the pictures*G* A shame about the Cappuccino....it just sounds yummy.

Yep, Cappuccino just wasn't in the cards for me. I'm hoping "Goldquelle" looks as nice as the pictures I've seen of it. Suppose to be a 3 foot tall rudbeckia with double yellow flowers and doesn't have a very noticeable cone. It looks more like a dahlia bloom to me in photos.

OK, here's "Tiger Eye Gold" today. Nothing impressive looking as its one the down cycle with blooms. May prune it back quite a bit very soon. Have done that twice since May and it responded very well with new flushes of blooms.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Here's a photo of "Prairie Sun".

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I think "Prairie Sun" was another one I tried. I do believe it was the one that self sewed next to my rose "Scentimental"this year. Glad you posted it and reminded me which one it was 'cause every time I worked around it,I wracked my poor lil skull for the name.

Been drooling over new seed catalogs that have started coming in. I think I'd like to try ruds."Denver Daisy" and "Spotlight" this year....or rather next year as most are biennal for me.

Glad you mentioned Rudbeckia "Denver Daisy". I grew that one from seed last winter. Here's a photo I took of it in late June. It may have returned next year but died back and looked bad. I dug it up and replaced it with the "Prairie Sun" plant in the picture above.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm trying Tiger's Eye for the first time this year. I'm not a huge fan of rudbeckia but my late summer/long fall garden needs something blooming in it:) There was one I was wanting...Orange Marmalade maybe? Can't exactly remember the name now:lol:

Forgot I picked up Cherry Brandy too. Someone posted some early season photos of it and it had some sorta homely blooms but matured nicely later in the season.

Perhaps it was Echinacea "Marmallade"..... the new double/pom pom orange blooming Echinacea being released 2010?

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I am only gonna grow 3 basic vars next year, Ruby Gold(a double), Single Species Mix, and Indian Summer if I can find it. + I have wild Rudbeckia growing somewhere in one of my gardens... Can't wait 'til Spring to see where they will be this time! Oh, and I will be growing Goldstum too, even though that is a perennial.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Found it--just Marmalade:lol: I tend to lean more towards the orange toned one.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54592/

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

the new one I'm trying this year is Chocolate Orange

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Some years my Ruds behave as biennials, some years as annuals, but I can't figure out why. Last year I'd started several 'Irish Eyes', which didn't bloom till this summer. This year I started mixed colors and more 'Irish Eyes', and they all bloomed profusely this summer too. Both times I wintersowed them, but we did get a lot more rain this year.

Bigred, do you ever have them bloom the first year? I would have thought with your longer growing season, that would be typical.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

gemini.
except for Goldstrum,they've all been biennals for me.

I get a huge drift of native r.hirta in my mailbox bed every year. My daughter(that's NOT a gardener) hates them and calls them weeds but they look so good enmass so I let they do their thing ever year with pleasure.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Isn't that odd? I wonder what makes them behave one way or the other?....and speaking of Goldsturm,

Daniel, be aware that Goldsturm is not only a reliable perennial, but tends to reseed heavily. I love them for their reliability, but nowadays I make sure to dead head most of them. At my last garden I had 100s of them!

Most all of them bloom the first year here, but they do take a long time to grow and bloom. I'm guessing its a good six months from seed to blooms on most of them.

WOW! I really can't wait and see what happens next year...

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

These were wintersown, and started blooming in early July. I found June pics with them in bud.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

I that pic, I see Daturas, Lillies, Cosmos, Daylillies, A weird spikey plant, and of course, Rudebeckias! Quite nice!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Good eye Daniel! That weird spiky plant is Eryngium yuccifolium that I started from seed a couple of years ago. Here's a pic of it growing in a garden where, unlike my own, things are properly spaced, LOL.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/87543/

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Just sticking my lurky nose here.. lurk lurk...

Looked at the pic and now I see why the species is yuccifolium!
Oh, I also see in the other pic Mexican Sunflowers. Maybe?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Daniel, I sent Ella some extra packs of seed for the Eryngium yuccifolium. Let her know if you'd like her to add a pack to your trough. There are Mexican Sunflowers in there too. Hard to believe looking at that pic, that they were 9' tall by the end of August!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

rudbeckia goldsturm

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a few ruds from last August.

Moreno

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

new for last year: Cherry Brandy

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

not sure which one this is

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

or this one ???

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My favorite last year. About 2 feet high, multi branching & loads of large dble flower. Very nice bright yellow. Goldilocks

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice! I would not turn away any of those Joanna

gemini, THANK YOU!!!!

9' for Mex sunnies?!?!?! Here, they only reached (on the east side of the house) 6', but were laden with blooms and blooms and blooms...!

Norfolk, VA(Zone 8a)

Here's one not only growing but thriving in a crack on my aunt's driveway.

Thumbnail by Karldan
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

LOL Determined little thing, isn't it?! I have a self seeded heuchera growing in a crack between the patio and the brick wall of the house--don't have the heart to yank it=)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm trying R.triloba "Red Sport"this year. I've got a bunch in the greenhouse ready to plant out this spring so hopefully by summer/fall I should be seeing these lovelies bloom.

http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/plant_display.asp?prodid=3307&account=none

That Rudbeckia "Red Sport" caught my eye also Patty. Ran across it yesterday when looking at Annies Annuals website. Lots of unique and interesting plants on that site.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Yup...I love AA. Were I go to lust the most.
I found the seeds for Red Sport on Prairie Moon webpage.I can't wait to see them bloom in my mailbox bed.

I agree. Can sure spend much time there looking through the website. I had never bought any plants from that site until a couple of months ago when I purchased a "Bolivian Sunflower" bush. Received a nice healthy plant which is growing like gangbusters.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.