Flowering in Australia December 2009 pt.2

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi everyone, the thread was getting a bit big, so here is part 2.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1059818/

Great pix of plants in part 1 everyone.

Starting off is the upside-down orchid; Stanhopea tigrina.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2009 8:20 PM

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Another view. This orchid grows in a hanging basket, blooms come out from the base. We also grow this orchid on tree ferns and in the forks of trees.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Gosh until I blew it up I thought it was an upside down picture of some kind ...wayne your sure know how to make an entrance ...that is amazing!
never seen it before, but then you have so many things I have never seen before ...and I have seen a lot!

Thumbnail by
Alstonville, Australia

Wayne, that Orchid is brilliant.
My pink Lisianthus

Thumbnail by hel
Merino, Australia

Hello wayne. Gorgeous orchids. Eveyone here knows my cymbids hate me and won't flower. Guess what I was given the other day. Yes, two beautiful pots of cymbids. I have them a long way from the resident ones so they won't learn bad habits.
I have a lovely hoya in flower now. It wanders around above the bromeliads.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Barmera, Australia

Another cactus in bloom. Rebutia pulvinosa ssp pulvinosa only about 3cm high and 2cm diameter.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Drop, Dead Gorgeous Wayne!!!!!! can't wait for mine to flower.........I went racing outside to peer under the basket but nada,nada,nada..........maybe next year?

Another Frangi..........

Thumbnail by MyaC
rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

no pics tonight,ive had a good lily sales day..i put a sign on the main road''potted lilies''ive been watching everyones bottom jaw drop to the ground,they cant believe the size of the ''mother'' lilies[2 metres] or the ''silk road'' [3 metres]..also gave away a few to various neighbors..enjoy sunday everyone

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Wow!Wayne,That Stanhopea is just amazing...I'm guessing you would have that hanging well above head height right? It's too beautiful not to.. and are the blooms long lasting?
Your Lisianthus are so pretty Hel..almost look like roses. I have heard they can be touchy...have you found that?

Lovely hoya,Jean and pretty yellow cacti,stake.

Just love your frangi Mya!

Thumbnail by brical1
barmera, Australia

Beautiful blooms everyone. I still have a couple of Asiatic lilies flowering. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

That is such a lovely photo Colleen.Did you take it tonight It almost looks luminous..

barmera, Australia

No Judy. it wasn't taken at night. It's an inside shot with a flash as I picked them and put them on the table in a vase. If you look closely you can see the lights on the Chrismas tree but they're not on. Colleen

Clifton Springs, Australia

Wow, what a fantastic start to part 2...Ditto to what Judy said.
Anthony, what is "Silk Road"?
Here is another of the "You and me" hydrangeas
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Wayne, does your Stanhopea have scent? My neighbour has one, not sure if its the same cultivar, and it is fragrant. She keeps promising me a peice, but its been about 6 years now and still no snippet! Beautiful pic and thanks for starting the new thread, it was a bit long.
Anthony, congrats on your sale, I hope you made a motza! I'd like to move a few broms, but don't want to have the customers at home. I did that once or twice and the little 'darlings' that arrived with mum and dad were very destructive around the place, and parents don't seem to mind their kids these days. I do the markets sometimes, but its alot of prep work. I saw your pics in the previous threads, very nice! I have one white asiatic lily in flower in the most inhospitable part of the garden, where no one can see it! figures!
Mya, your frangipani is gorgeous! Such a solid colour. I'm thinking of giving the broms a rest now (have a big enough collection to keep me happy) and moving back to frangi's and also started with cordylines. *sigh* I must have an addictive personality.
Sue
theres a bit of white in the garden at the moment, not intentionally, but I quite like it.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi Sue, I had a neighbour like that once! Let me send you a bit up to C.H. after flowering. Just Dmail me your postal address. The scent is strong! Even I get it... Vanilla:) We have them dotted around the garden, people think there are scented candles or something like that filling the air.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
West of Brisbane, Australia

Here's the first flower on my coffee bush. Very faint scent, but I imagine would be strong enough when covered in blooms. Worth growing for curiosity value. (Apparently it prefers alkaline soil, and I have it near a gardenia, which likes acidic soil. Somehow they're both doing OK.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

And here's the first flower on my Dendrobium crumenatum (dove orchid). It was supposed to be scented but I could smell nothing. Really disappointing; maybe it will improve with time ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

seachanger 'silk road'is a brilliant orientpet cross lilium.i paid $20 dollars for the 1 bulb....its a very strong cross,and no joke,its 3 metres tall,...the stem is about 25mmm across,7 flowers every year..i won best orientpet flower in2008 and best lilium stem last january..it now has 6 children......not far off flowering...i'll blast a pic up when it is

asiatic lily''rascal'' check out the dark spotting,this is a beauty

Thumbnail by g_whizz

That dove orchid may be fragrant at night like some other plants ...sometimes perfume can be elusive depending on heat and humidity ...here is one plant that is never shy about it's alluring fragrance.
For me it's up there in the top ten, hopefully it will set seeds this year as it won't during rainy seasons (I think the rain washes the pollen away or the ants that are supposed to fertilize the blooms stay home or both).
Anyway have a whiff ...

Thumbnail by

Before it devours both the garden and the camera ...love my fragrant triffids
Snail creeper.

Thumbnail by

my oriental cross''starfighter'' bloomed........its a double [very rare]

Thumbnail by g_whizz

The orchid flower has died down so no chance to sniff it again. It's supposed to burst into flower during the growing season a short while after there's a drop in temps, normally after rain. So there should be more flowers to come. It's disappointing, though.

Yes, the snail creeper is tough as well as pretty and fragrant. No shortage of seeds here: I've been pulling out seedlings here and there throughout the garden. They come out easily and aren't a problem, unlike that butterfly pea (Centrosema) which is still sprouting from old seeds, the second summer since I pulled out the parent plant. And they are quite tough to pull out. I think I warned you about them ...

This message was edited Dec 13, 2009 11:27 AM

Yesterday in the heat I found my yellow boge starting up.

Thumbnail by

Love this one a lot ...so bright and happy at christmas time

Thumbnail by

"peaches and cream" in it's peach mode

Thumbnail by

and in it's cream mode ...both on the same shrub

Thumbnail by

and the day lillies ...jean the double orange you sent me are just so cute!

Thumbnail by

Ichroma blooming it's head off ...the trumpets are 2" long now

Thumbnail by

Like this too it grows so easily from cuttings, it has lived in all of my gardens

Thumbnail by

Just don't get a splinter from it because it causes a nasty sore (something in the sap).

Thumbnail by

You pay 30.00 for one of these in the pet shop ???? umm I don't know if he is a plant muncher or a plant muncher, muncher ...anyone know?

Thumbnail by
Barmera, Australia

They are predators Chrissy, encourage them.
Brian

Alstonville, Australia

Hay Sue, like your wheels!! and your garden is beautiful too.
Purple Lisianthus

Thumbnail by hel
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks Hel, I got them from a really nice lady!
Anthony, your Lilies are gorgeous, and that Silk road sounds like a giant!
I love my fragrant plants too, but too much will give me a migraine, so as the gardenias are finishing, their scent is being replaced by the frangipanis, with an underlying hint of port wine magnolia. My garden has alot of air circulation (quite open) so its quite subtle.
I have toi be careful what I plant along the front/south side of the house, as the scent of an Angel was making me really sick, overnight while I was sleeping, as it was wafting through the window.
Too hot to get any pics at the mo, but later when it cools down, I will venture outside.
Sue

Clifton Springs, Australia

I had one of those Stick Insects for 2 weeks and he /she was very interesting to watch, Chrissy
Iove the "Peaches n Cream" Hibiscus.
StarFighter is a stunner. Anthony.
This rose is " Maurice Utrillo" another Delbard.. It is supposed to be scented, but not to my nose.
Still it is lovely and the variations are quite dramatic...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

You know I always thought they were great to have in the garden ...stick insects I mean until I saw a program that said some actually ate the plants ...it showed them as pets and showed you what to feed them ...leaves!!! umm that is why I asked because I was unsure after that. I would not hurt them anyway but I wanted to know wether to move them off my brugs or not.
thanks brian.
Pretty rose there.
Lisianthus are beautiful ...interesting to know they are gentians and love growing "hard" easy to kill with too much kindness.
the lillies are beautiful of course.
I bought a "coffee tree" once and it was at the markets ...I remarked to the seller that it looked very much like a Murraya ...and was told it was related (tilt ...my brain said but I bought it anyway) you can guess the rest of course ...it was a Murraya. A Murraya is wonderful too but I have a huge one that is the only plant that gives me a headache when in full flight, I supposeit does have red berries, I have often wondered if the seller ever tried to make coffee from the red fruit.
Speaking of coffee does anyone know if it is true that in some places the coffee beans are picked out of Monkey doo on the ground ...I hope it's an urban myth ...it did give me pause to reflect upon it this morning over my coffee.

Thumbnail by

look at this little beauty''davidii var willamottai'' species lilium .flowers about the size of a golf ball.....beautiful!

Thumbnail by g_whizz
barmera, Australia

Beautiful flowers everyone. Chrissy I saw that documentary about the coffee beans, I cant remember but I think it wasn't for just ordinary coffee. It was some la-de-da posh stuff. It's called Kopi Luwak and it's from Indonesia. It's not a monkey it a Palm Civet which is like a cat but lives in the trees. It lives on alcholic leaves and coffee berries. Only 500lb of this coffee is harvested a year so it sells for about $15 cup at the coffee houses in US. lesson over for today. Colleen

This message was edited Dec 14, 2009 6:27 PM

holy guoccamole,,,,,,my first true,full blood tango asiatic''centrefold''.look at the grain on this artwork,da vinci would be proud

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.