Are asters invasive?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I would like to have some of those blue/purple asters that bloom later summer or fall. I planted one a few years ago and it didn't come back the following year, are they supposed to? Then I have little seedlings by the hundreds everywhere. I am pretty sure they are asters. I bought mine at Lowe's if that matters. I did notice some daisy looking aster weeds growing just over my neighbors fence with foliage that is very similar or the same? So what do you think, should I try again, or avoid asters? OH, they seem to root well, do not pull out easily :(

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine's do send out runners and spread. I normally do not let it go to seed so I don't have to deal with seedlings thus far. I had it planted towards the front, and then decided to move it further back to the fence. I dug out the original patch, and planted a few other things. So far, I do not see any of the old plant coming up. A little further from the area, I do get a few sprouts that I did not get out the first time. So, it does seem to be controllable. Unlike the Japanese anenomes that I have.

Here is a photo of the transplanted batch - smaller than the original, but should fill out next year. Does it look like yours?

Thumbnail by soilsandup

I'm not sure really, it was a few years ago when I had mine.
but it looks the same, I think.
I am thinking my sprouts are weeds.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Ours spread only by runners and, though we don't clip them back in time to prevent seeding, I don't think they grow from seeds for us. One plant kept taking over too much territory within a garden so we moved it to the top of the sod pile (from making the vegetable garden) and it can spread all it wants but can't go that far. From a distance it looks like a tremendous blue blooming shrub in October.

Thumbnail by pirl

oh, that is pretty! and huge !
do they get that large? I probably don't have that much room....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have Purple Dome that blooms late Aug until November

Thumbnail by ge1836

They only grow to about 20" but they're all on top of the sod mound so they look huge but they aren't. Here's what it looks like, on the right, when they're all cut back.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I see what you mean now.

I had to cut them back so we could expand the brick walk so here's a side view.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I thought the plant was that tall

That's what everyone passing by thinks.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its a great spot.How are you going to treat the cut side of the slope?

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Asters can be annual or perennial, invasive or not. Many, if not most of the larger ones (2.5+ ft.) spread underground. Purple Dome is not. I have one called Snow Flurries that is only 6 inches high with a spreading habit above ground, but spreads very little underground. The ones you buy at Lowe's or HD I am guessing would be winter hardy in z6, but they are really grown for fall color for that season only.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

beautiful

Ok so I need advice then on what to get.
I want a bluish color and something not too huge or invasive. I want it to come back every year. Some seeding is ok, but not lots.
any ideas?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

There are WoodsBlue asters.They spread the same way as Pirl described,underground runners,the clump gets bigger.
Mine are new (2 years)
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/ASWBS.html
Take a look at Bluestone

This message was edited Dec 9, 2009 6:53 PM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I don't consider the aster I grow invasive (New England Aster). The plant has probably doubled in size each year. If the rate of growth leads to the plant becoming too big, you can always dig it up and divide it. I did that this year with mine, because I wanted to turn it into two plants. If you don't have room for two give half away or toss it. : )
I haven't seen too many seedlings, and I leave mine standing through winter typically. I'm not positive but it might be controlled by birds feeding on the seeds? I think I've seen two seedlings so far and I planted the original plant in 2006.
Some people cut them back a couple times before the fourth of July so they get that compact look - like the ones they sell at the nursery look like. I like mine to look more wild, because it goes better with my wild look I have in my butterfly garden.
Here's a pic of mine on Sept 30th, not many perennials bloom that late and this one is beneficial for pollinators. They are the two patches of purple on each side.

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Susan Louise posted a similar question about Asters above and it might be beneficial for you to read all the comments about invasive Asters. It sure enlighted my eyes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.