Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Are asters invasive?, 1 by Meredith79

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Meredith79

In reply to: Are asters invasive?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Are asters invasive?
Meredith79 wrote:
I don't consider the aster I grow invasive (New England Aster). The plant has probably doubled in size each year. If the rate of growth leads to the plant becoming too big, you can always dig it up and divide it. I did that this year with mine, because I wanted to turn it into two plants. If you don't have room for two give half away or toss it. : )
I haven't seen too many seedlings, and I leave mine standing through winter typically. I'm not positive but it might be controlled by birds feeding on the seeds? I think I've seen two seedlings so far and I planted the original plant in 2006.
Some people cut them back a couple times before the fourth of July so they get that compact look - like the ones they sell at the nursery look like. I like mine to look more wild, because it goes better with my wild look I have in my butterfly garden.
Here's a pic of mine on Sept 30th, not many perennials bloom that late and this one is beneficial for pollinators. They are the two patches of purple on each side.