What garden tools are you planning on replacing in the coming year?

There are a total of 231 votes:

I need a new lawnmower, leaf blower or weed eater.
(18 votes, 7%)
Red dot

A new tractor or tiller is in my future.
(9 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I need new hand tools such as pruners, rakes, shovels and hoes.
(46 votes, 19%)
Red dot

I need golves, boots, clogs or a hat.
(28 votes, 12%)
Red dot

I need new knees, elbows, back or neck!
(130 votes, 56%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Milwaukee, WI

wow number one Last yer my lawnmoer went so I bought a battery powered one and love it. This year buying cordless battery powered trimmer. But really need a blower.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I definitely need golves . . . where can I get some?!? ;-)

North Augusta, ON

I need shovels and hoes and rakes. Hubby can break a shovel/hoe/rake handle in no time...went through 4 of them this past summer. Don't ask me how he does it, Mom and myself used the same shovel for 15 years before he came along...

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

The tools are all fine, cleaned and sharpened and waiting for spring...but, the knees are certainly glad for the break.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm with the majority at the moment...all my tools are fine, need new body parts!

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

LOL! Where's "All of the above" when you need it?? I chose gloves, etc., because I'll go through several pairs before the season ends.

Barb

Edit typo

This message was edited Dec 7, 2009 8:29 AM

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I guess I can't vote, lol
I need a new wheel barrow soon I am afraid, I am waiting on mine to pass over to the other side and begin it's new life in the land fill :(

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I just got my Christmas tools!! Bought two Cobra's the small hand and the 48". Just need time to get out and try them now. Just had a few nights of freezing weather and everything is dead and needs cut back. Playing in the dirt will have to wait.

Bridgeville, PA

Frilly Lily, I don't have a wheelbarrow, but I want to ask somebody --- and you might know. Is it okay to use a small seed spreader like a wheelbarrow?? A certain family member won't let me do that. Why???

because he doesn't want you to use it LOL
I have no idea. It wouldn't hold much.
What are you going to carry in it? Maybe an apron would work for you or simply a small bucket?
or even some kind of plastic 'tote' or tool box
I got a neat tub thingy... sheesh I'll go take a pic for you...
Could toss in your camera, journal, drink, sunscreen, sunglasses, gloves and a trowel or some bulbs, ect ect.
has a handle of course as you can see, and is about 18 inches long and a foot wide or something like that. Got it recently at Lowes.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I voted for hand tools cuz I need a new knife to divide my dahlias. Other than that I'm good to go, although sharpening is definitely in order.

(Zone 1)

I could have voted for them all but had to click on the last one ... I need a new back! My DH had a friend who used to say "Getting old ain't for sissy's!"

FrillyLily: Don't send that old wheelbarrow to the landfill! Sit it in the garden, fill it with compost and plant some beautiful annuals! My husband has an old rusty wheelbarrow that I've been trying to confiscate for years but he keeps repairing the handles, replacing the tires ... I might buy him a new one for Christmas so I can have the old one for flowers!

I picked up some old knives at a yard sale, they worked great for yard work, without much money.
They dull up pretty quick anyway in the yard. l

yeah, I have seen alot of those that looked really cute, but alas mine is plastic. One of those really heavy thick kind. So I don't think it would look very nice, But I will give that some thought. Maybe I could paint it or something. Would be great to lay on its side and that would create some 'shade' in a spot, since I have no shade!

hmmm. maybe a hosta spot in a full sun garden that way!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Re: gloves, my DH gets me football receiver's gloves every year, and they are terrific. They fit well and wear great. Also, since they're made for Pee Wee football up thru the pros, they come in a huge variety of sizes.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

New snippers, small shovel, and rake. Defintely a garden knife, can't tell you how many kitchen knives I've ruined splitting rootballs... Many of my tools came from my Dad who likely got them from his Dad, and I hang onto them as long as I possibly can. I stock up on Atlas gloves whenever they go on sale at my feed store. I'm scheming on having a friend weld up a garden tool cart for me this year -- I've seen some that are pretty spendy and thought we could scrap something together using a small handcart as the base. New body parts...I've adopted the strategy of rotating chores often so nothing gets too stove up and that seems to work. Wrists are my main problem, too many years pounding a keyboard.

Santa Fe, NM

I want "golves". Where can I get them? :) Actually, I could use some new garden gloves. But only the one kind that I like that I can't remember the name of. They make a woman's small size that fits me! Come in bright colors and after a year or two I manage to bust out the fingers. That's good, though, because most gloves I have the fingers out in a month or so. I also like heavy, leather gloves which do last longer but tend to be stiff and somewhat less useful for gardening.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Atlas Gloves? They make the best ones for gardening in my opinion...I've got quite a few pair (even carry a pair in my purse)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

None of the above. I'm not at the point where I am considering replacing body parts. Only thing I'd want to update is the water sprayer. Never have found anything that works as well as rain.

Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

I second the endorsement of Atlas Gloves. I've used them for years, order them directly from Atlas by the dozen because many of my friends use me as their source for them..
When I used to sell plants at different events, I would have two pairs marked "SAMPLE"
for people to try on for size and the general feel - 4 times out of 5 if they tried it on, they'd buy a pair...often multiple pairs for their friends as gifts....you know, a true loves this type of gift. I'd sell several cases of 144 during one season. As a bonus, Atlas offers free shipping a couple of times a year....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Melony said: Atlas Gloves?...I've got quite a few pair (even carry a pair in my purse) Do you keep them with the envelops for 'rescuing' seeds? ^_^

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I keep the gloves, zip-locs, box cutter and water-sorb crystals in my purse. As I told someone else here the other day, it makes for interesting conversation when I go in the courthouse and forget to take them out.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No kiddin. What a hoot.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I need me a FARMALL!! I have 3 Tillers and they are nice but i want the big gun!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

lol, Well I'm feeling pretty good about my permanently attached parts at the moment, but I sure would love one of those weed eaters on wheels.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Going to get a hand-powered reel lawnmower & sell the gas-powered one. With only about 50 sq ft of lawn (mown paths) left, it's a bit pointless to keep the big clunker!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I voted new hand tools. This tool is rather expensive, but it is hand operated. A 6 row seeder from Johnny's. Only $**0.00. I have had this on my wish list for a long time. It will happen this spring!
Bernie

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I want some high-dollar pruners. Oh, wait! This isn't the list for Santa, is it? Darn!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Santa is everywhere and hears you while you're sleeping so go ahead, Dream on McGlory!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Resin - these are the gloves I use. I like them because I can "feel" what I'm doing.

http://atlasgloveconsumerproducts.com/wordpress/

These are the Atlas gloves others seem to like, too.

This message was edited Dec 8, 2009 12:57 PM

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I left my garden clogs outside the back door, and some critter took off with one of them! Now, what would a critter need with one shoe?! Maybe it stole one shoe from three other people?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Are you sure you didn't accidently plant it in the frenzy to get the bulbs in Honeybee? I have planted a flipflop before.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I need new wrists, shoulders and neck. Have carpal tunnel syndrome which is very much exacerbated by use of the hand trowel. Plan to have surgery on wrists ASAP. Then possibly surgery on neck. First we see if fixing the wrists makes my shoulder pain go away. Oh the joys of aging! Well, I am happy they know what to do about all of the above problems.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

I'm ok on everything except one of those nifty kneelers with the handles. Gotta have one!
And, yeah, that wheelbarrow needs to become a planter. They make very nice paint especially for plastic, too.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Lawnmower! We kill them all! I don't know how, but they just don't last.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Actually, I just need to repair my brushcutter. The pull cord broke. I've bought a new one, but can't get the casing open to install it. Crazy looking bolt heads. I think that I'll need to use an allen wrench or something. Seems things have been breaking lately faster than I can repair them!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nothing lasts much any more sallyg. They are designed not to last.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

I have a fifteen year old John Deere lawn mower that worked fine the last time I used it, ca 2003. Can't for the life of me figure out why it moved with me to AZ where we have no lawn.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Elbows. Getting one fixed soon, yay! kept me from finishing my bulbs, now I have a bunch still in bags, and it's supposed to get down to 4*F tomorrow :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.