Shenandoah Valley, VA

Are you all getting some? It's been snowing hard here for hours and there's probably about 4 inches out there. Road is a mess. So much for the forecast calling for a light dusting and roads to be clear.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay here's some snow photos from a while ago. This is part of my front yard and the view from the front porch.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

From the back porch

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

My truck, actually my late father's truck I've been driving since Mom had her stroke.

Thumbnail by hart
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Wow, have the tables turned. LOL Wonder if the earth has truned on it axis and I am now living in the south??

Shenandoah Valley, VA

This front is coming up from the south, Chris. I imagine it will be up your way by tonight or tomorrow, or maybe you're too far west or east.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/allergies/map/interactive/22652?from=36hr_topnav_allergies Just click on the zoom out button if it's zoomed in to zoom out and see your area.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

We have a little snow so far...
Therefore, a little snowman for a little snow!
Courtesy of my oldest daughter, Jessie.
Probab;y not quite an inch here yet.
Diane, you are getting way more than we are.
Not surprising though!
Don't lose that pretty baby in the snow!
Does he like it?

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Diane, I don't think your system will effect me, to far north and west. There is something building up along Lake Erie. the edge is almost to the Ohio/ Pa state line. Chance of snow for us is 30% tonight and tomarrow and 50% on Monday. Lake is still too warm to drive snow into our area but it will not be long as the tempatures have been dropping below 32º.

How is your pup likeing the snow? Bundle him up good, he will be looking for a warm lap to cuddle up on. LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

It's been coming down like crazy here too for several hours. Lots of accumulation, but it is very wet. Don't think it will hang around long.

VWR, that makes me want to play with your girls again!!! You can almost see all of the water inside of that snowman

Got to watch that wet snow, gets heavy and breaks off a lot of tree limbs then no power. Stay warm and safe everyone!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Looks like it's clearing out in most of our area except right where we are. It's hitting east and north of us now. Looks like there's a lot of ice around the Charlottesville and Frederick MD areas.

We've had a couple of power blips today but (fingers crossed) no real outages so far. We get a lot of those heavy snow or ice bringing down trees bringing down power lines out this way.

I love your little snowman. He's adorable.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We have snow here too. Very wet and has been comming down for hours. Isn't laying much on the road surfaces though. We have a lot more snow now than we did when these pics were taken.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jr and I were outside a a few minutes. Snowball fight and snow angels

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

It was coming down thick here by noon! I think there's about 3 inches of wet snow down, The driven tracks of the roads seem unfrozen here though.
Yes jessies snowman is a cutie!

This message was edited Dec 5, 2009 5:54 PM

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

We were supposed to get only 1-2" because the weatherman said it would be mainly a "southern" storm and not affect the Poconos too much. We have about 3" at the moment and still coming! Looks really beautiful but is heavy and wet!! Glad I did final clean up, put everything away, harvested some arugula, Swiss Chard, parsley and other greens yesterday! The "Indian summer" honeymoon is over!! Enjoy!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice to hear from you, gardadore.

ha, indian summer honeymoon, says it! I was thinking it would never really freeze. I guess I lost the last few leaves of lettuce and mustard. Oh and a pot of wax begonia I was going to bring in. Eh.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

A near by creek shot this AM.

Thumbnail by docgipe

A little further up that same creek.

Thumbnail by docgipe

Same creek valley. Early 1900's barn.

Thumbnail by docgipe

My patio this AM. Anyone for a tube steak?

Thumbnail by docgipe
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Great photos, Doc!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

About an inch or so here, hardly anything left today though.

Nice pictures doc!
It was pretty here today. sunny but cold enough that some snow stayed. Almost felt like the Last snow of winter, with the melting, and sun, and some birds out singing!

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

We awoke to 6-7" of snow and a winter winterland. The roads were fine and it seemed to be melting but everything is icy now. Winter is here!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Watch that black ice!

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Trust me! I'm very careful!! Thanks for the warning!!

I'm actually really enjoying this- Its cold enough to keep some snow and ice on the grass, forest edges etc, but the walks and roads are 98 % clear (Yes watching for black ice everywhere, in shady spots,, walking in the parking lot yesterday AM was scary) Sun on snow is so pretty!! Around here its most often Sun on slush, or clouds on snow.

I'm putting new sneakers on my wife's car. This snow was just a teaser.

Those are GREAT photos docgipe! I love old barns and that one looks like it has lots of character. I would love to walk all around it and get some differnet angles on it! #2 of the creek is very well composed to me.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, Mine needs some Keds too.

Years ago I oil painted the homestead that goes with that old barn. Someone liked it better than I did so its gone down the road to Baltimore If memory serves me correct. At that time I was having to much fun with the old stone fences, iron gates and brambles to see that great old barn. The creek runs through that farm. I have paddled my canoe through the farm boundries many times on the spring high water flow. Maybe forty years ago it was not enough years old to be as attractive as it seems today. There likely could be bunches of old tools and impliments in there somewhere. I saw a cast iron pigs feeding station and a framework that may have been a windmill water pump. This time I did not have permission to snoop about. I shot from a public road. I would be pretty sure the barn is rotting to death on it's log over hand laid native stone foundation. The man made bank that gave access to the barn floor is still in place and there is a cave in or under that bank. The two holer outhouse still stands and may still be used out behind the house. It all has the taste and flavor of the barn although the house appears to be in a lot better shape. The house wood fire heated and is occupied.

Doc, A man of many interest! I like that!

There is a guy out side of town who buys up old barns and salvages them for the beams and lumber, also large stones and boulders. Guess he has a pretty good business as the piles of stones and wood comes and goes.

Hate to see an old barn go to rot.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, I'd love to see some of your paintings. Do you have photos of any you can post?

Oil Painting on canvas, 1980 titled EARLY LIGHT ON THE FERRY. This ferry is the Millersburg, Pa ferry. It is still in operation. By now it may he the only paddle wheel powerd boat in Pennsylvania. It's load is limited to three cars and a dozen people. It caters to island parties and an occasional wedding on the islands. The crossing takes about forty five minutes. The comanders have more or less grown up on the boat. I doubt if you could pay them any amount of money to leave that job.

Thumbnail by docgipe

Wow doc... that's great!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, That is really beautiful. I'd like to see that ferry in person one day. Do you have to book pretty far in advance for a ride?

No booking ahead is needed. This is a functional time saving trip for folks who need to cross at this point. The alternatives are a lot of miles on either side of the river to bridge crossings. I would think the Ferry has a web site. At the time I was painting there were quite a few industries in Millersburg. On the other side of the river there is a campsite and lots of working farms of the Dutch plain folks along US #11. It has changged for sure but some horse and buggies still use the Ferry. The Dutch community is still alive and well.

NOTE: I assume the ferry is still in operation. I'm an hour and a half North of the crossing.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc that is an hour or so North from my house and I have ridden on the ferry years ago when I was a kid. It was one of those old Sunday afternoon drives taken with the parents. We drove up the river took the ferry across and back down the other side. There is a campground right there as well. Here is a website with a few pics and some history.
http://www.millersburg.com/attractions/ferry.html

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's not the only paddle boat in the area. There is The Pride of the Susquehanna. A new boat that runs from City Island in Hbg. They do sightseeing tours, dinner tours and dinner mystery tours. The mystery show wasn't very good but the food was. The night we went out it only made one big continues circle as the rive was too low to go far. But we had a great time anyway. Here is a website for that.
http://www.harrisburgriverboat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=3

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.