It's December - let's celebrate our gardens

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Looking back on 2009 and it's time to show off the best photos of your gardens.

Photo is from Zuzu's calendar. Thanks, Zuzu, for a wonderful year of photos.

Thumbnail by pirl
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

What a sweet kitty, Pirl

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Athens, PA

Arlene

Great idea, as it snowed here yesterday.......

I am already missing my gardens.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, Carolyn, What a pretty combination. What is that white flower? It looks familiar.

Madison, MS

Hi ya'll,

Looking back 2009.

Thumbnail by cedarcottage
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's very beautiful, CedarCottage.

Here's April.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Lovely photos. It's one of Zuzu's kitties - we have a dog who is as spoiled as all of Zuzu's kitties!

Here's one I took of a friend's garden. He really impressed me with his garden! He has over 1000 roses and over 200 clematises along with countless lilies. It's a beautiful spot that can't be seen from the street.

Thumbnail by pirl
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's beautiful, Pirl. It looks very patriotic. I loved themed plantings. It's a shame that passers by don't get to enjoy it.

That area has more deer than we do so it's totally fenced off to protect the plants.

Here's one of our gardens - taken at the end of June.

Thumbnail by pirl
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's just beautiful Pirl. I'm glad to see that someone other than me grows Daylilies in the shade.

Most of my dark colored daylilies are in full shade to prevent bleaching out of the colors. Even if I get fewer flowers they are nicer than if they were in sunshine.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Pirl, I also find that with the Oriental and OT lilies, some of the colors might not be as good , but the blooms are so much longer lasting. They seem to bloom for weeks in the shade.

Athens, PA

Mary,

That is Clematis Hakuri (sp?) with Veronica Giles Von Hees. I bought Hakuri from Brushwood Nursery a couple of years ago. http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/non-vining-clematis-5/clematis-hakurei-105.html

Don't you just love the integrefolia clems? Here is another picture of Hakuri.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Carolyn, I've seen photos of them before, but never one in person. It's very charming. Is that all one plant just rambling through the bed?

Athens, PA

Mary

It is one plant and does just ramble through my garden. Here is the same plant with Missouri Primrose.

I have several of the integrefolias and I just love them...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

It's so sweet. Please post more photos of it - after all it is December.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here are some of mine.I save good ones in a DESKTOP folder and use them all winter.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/GardenBestShots2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCI6Cv6eXm_P8hQE

The bees loved the Morning Glory bush

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats a beauty

GE, I think I see a "honeybee" hanging out in your yellow lily...grin lovely flowers in your garden

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks The bee could very well have bee - n there LOL

Great photos, Jo Ann. I love that First Crown. Now I have to make room for it.

This is one of my favorite dark daylilies....I have had it for years and it is in full sun...holds its' color really well. I is supposed to be Dragon Lore

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lovely photos everyone!!

Here's Malaysian Monarch, which I always keep in shade/dappled morning sun to retain the beauty of the color.

Thumbnail by pirl
Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pictures everyone! I'm already forgetting about the cold weather and thinking of summertime.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I added Malaysian Monarch this fall. Can't wait to see it bloom.

It's downright ugly in sun.

Some of them can certainly look so washed out and forlorn...that is really pretty, Pirl.

Thanks!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My DL's planted this summer, will nearly all be surprises.What a treat,the anticipation will keep me going all winter.

After all the work you did planting them you deserve sweet dreams.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Look whose talking on the sending end.
It sure surprised the UPS guy.

It was really the post office guy who teased me!

Athens, PA

Love the daylily pictures..... another type of flower that catches my eye, but then all plants catch my eye....

It is December and we are supposed to get this storm that is racing across the country. Makes me miss the sights and scents of the gardening season all the more...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

More beautiful Clematis. This is my first year growing Clematis.

I also grow Peonies and Roses in the shade. This photo is from early May.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks to my local enabler, ge1836, I ordered some poppy seeds today. I will throw them out in the garden, if I get them before the snow gets so high I can't get there. Thanks, Jo Ann.

Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

Just saw this thread...wish I'd looked earlier because I've needed a good dose of summer again. You all have beautiful pictures. I really loved the daylilies as that's one thing that grows quite easily in Kansas. Also the clematis, roses, lilies...well all of it. This old farmstead is kind of hard on things due to wind and sun, but what does grow usually grows pretty well. I'm afraid my beds aren't nearly as neat and polished as many of yours, but I love them. I don't have much to share from last summer as I was unable to get out from March to July, but here is one from early September when my Sweet Autumn Clematis took off up a cedar tree by the back porch. I've heard that vines can kill a tree and I'm really hoping this one does as the tree makes a terrible mess all over the porch, but I can't convince DH to take it out. I have to admit it does shade the porch and keep the sun from coming in so much in the summer, but I'm sure we could find a way to manage that until something better could be grown. Sorry about the ugly cords. I had them out to charge a battery and left them hanging out in the picture.

Willow

Thumbnail by willowwind
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Willowwind, That spot looks very lovely. An inviting place to sit.

Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

Here are a couple from the year before that probably occurred last spring/early summer too, but I just wasn't out to see them. The plants are all in their same places so I'll pretend like this is last summer's. I'm afraid I haven't been good about marking all my plants so I'm not sure what lilies these are.

Thumbnail by willowwind

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.