how can I encourage my quince to make more fruit?

Pepperell, MA

Just moved in two years ago, and didn't know what the bush was (about 12-15 feet tall) until this year. It had glorious maroon flowers in spring, and then about six fruits, all on the same few branches--the rest of the bush was bare. Anything I can do to encourage it next spring? I'd like to make things with the fruit, but I need more than...six.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Is the branch producing the fruit protected in any way? Such as being under the eeves of the house, by other branches, tree, etc...

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It sounds like the Flowering Quince. That is more of an ornamental quince than a fruiting tree. They will produce some. Cross pollination with another variety can increase this.

Is this your guy?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/909/

Murphysboro, IL(Zone 6b)

Fruiting is always pretty sparse on my flowering quinces too (assuming that's what you have), even though we do have more than one variety in the yard. They bloom so early that there may not be a lot of pollinators flying around, depending on how cold it is. I actually tried hand-pollinating some of mine this spring, but then the bushes spent a month buried under a fallen tree this summer, so I can't blame them for getting stressed out and dropping their fruit!

The fruit isn't really worth a whole lot of effort -- it's tart and lemony, not complex like tree quinces. But I just think they're cool anyway :-) .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.