Minnie Royal and Royal Lee Cherries in Texas

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Is anyone growing these new low chill varieties. I know they can produce in Texas but the real questions is "can they take the heat?".

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I read an article on the two in the magazine, Texas Gardener. In April, I attended a lecture by our county Co-op agent and asked him about growing cherry trees in central Texas and specifically about these two varieties. I was told A & M were still evaluating the trees. I noticed they are available from several online nurseries. Both Raintree Nursery and Bay Laurel Nursery offer them on two rootstocks, one for heavy soil and another for sandy soil. I'd be interested to know how their flavor compares to Bing and Royal Annes. So far, I haven't taken the plunge. I'd also like to know how many trees are needed to satisfy wasps, squirrels, birds and still have some left for me. LOL

Greensburg, PA

While I have no experience with these varieties nor growing in Texas, I'd just like to comment, as a cherry fan, that any sweet cherry growing in my yard is better than no sweet cherries growing in my yard. We are kindred spirits, those of us that try to "push" the zones in various ways. I keep trying to get che established here in zone 5, which means that I have to baby mine all the time. I'm hoping that one they get big enough, the extra care will no longer be needed.

Regarding the depredations of critters, I tired for many years to expand the numbers of my small fruits so that I could get a modest harvest. I found that the population of pests always increased to match the amount of fruit available for stealing. I now grow under screen or netting, depending on what I am growing and get abundant harvests. Its actually fun to watch the robins stubbornly bombard my screens, over and over again, trying to get to the fruit.

Mesa, AZ

I purchased one of each from Peaceful Valley Farm & Garden that should be arriving any day now. I did not know that other nursery's were selling them on other rootstocks or I would have purchased them somewhere else. Colt is not drought tolerant and I live in the desert.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.