Happy Thanksgiving Mid Atlantic

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I just took one of the world's most perfect pumpkin pies out of the oven. The Libby pumpkin can recipe. mmmmm
Our celebration dinner is small and intimate, just this family and Mom, I will do all the cooking this year and hopefully Mom will feel up to eating a good meal. Turkey stuffing greenbeans sauerkraut, cran sauce, gravy- have I got it all?

Who's got the biggest turkey? 14.47 here, can't be the prize winner! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! My bird is 22 lb. Lot's of soup fixings left, I hope!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Our "Big Bird" was 22.6#s and was one of the smallest I found. Everyone took some home and I probably have dinner for 4 in the freezer. Sally that Libby recipe really needs no improvement but once in a while I sub half & half and maple sugar for a variation.I also dust my crust with ginger, cinnamon, and a touch of nutmeg for a ginger snap flavor. Holly did a great job on the bird and left everyone groaning, as usual. She says it's the one day of the year she cooks. LOL She lets me do the shopping, the mashed potatoes, and the pies. Ric

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Thanksgiving to each and all! I had to work today, but I got off early enough that hubby and I were able to get some dinner at Ryan's (we had dinner with our girls over the weekend). I am thankful to have a job to go to, and to have a home to return to, and as always for my beautiful daughters and hubby! I'm thankful to all my friends on DG too!

Y'all have a great evening and don't be too crazy out ther tomorrow morning on Black Friday! Me? I'll still be asleep in my bed! *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

Karen

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Happy Thanksgiving to all - I'm having a minor pity party, DH is in FL, I made him go since I'm sick - but, the bestest person in the world, Chantell, is on her way with food! The kids were very thankful today, they loved the fact I slept most of the day ^_^

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ugh, I ate too much....

Had about a 20 something pound bird.

Hope everyone had a wonderful day.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry you're home sick, Becky! Big *thank you* to Chantell for taking care of you for us!

We had a fabulous day... but I'm doing the pity party thing now also, as after spending most of the day playing in the kitchen I came down with chills, upset tummy, aches, etc. -- about an hour before dinner! So it all looked lovely, but I only had a few bites. DH & his folks enjoyed the feast, though! Joyanna slept through dinner and then woke up to party, singing & dancing in my lap while we watched the Rockettes.

Our turkey was the biggest one in the case the afternoon I went shopping, but it was just under 18 pounds -- puny by my usual holiday standards! We love all sorts of turkey leftovers, so I generally cook the biggest bird I can find & fit into my oven. :-)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Just took a load off of these tired feet. Everything went great. We ate too much. I have way too many leftovers,. My sister brought 4 desserts and left them all here!!!!!!

Va_Wild_Rose, Your girls always look like they're having so much fun, I want to go play with them!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter & Bec, Sorry you're not feeling well.my niece is here until Sunday. She slipped off into zzzzland around 10. What's with these young folks?? We always burned the candle at all ends when we were young. This generation actually takes the benefits of sleep seriously!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm a day late but hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving! Becky and Jill, sorry to hear you're both under the weather - same thing happened to us :( We had plans to have dinner with friends since Rick's parents were out of town but I came down with chills Wednesday afternoon and Rick was up all night with an upset stomach. Felt a little better yesterday but figured we didn't want to take any chances of passing along whatever it is we have to the other guests so spent the day relaxing at home. Our family Thanksgiving dinner is planned for tomorrow when Rick's parents return so hoping we both feel better and can enjoy some turkey!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Thanksgiving all! I've been sick too, and didn't want to spread it around to my family. My dad had a kidney transplant a few years ago, and the anti-rejection medication he'll be on for the rest of his life affects his immune system - higher risk to catching things, and could be dangerous if he does. My brother also has two little ones - a two year old and a 4 month old. So all in all, it was best that I just spent a quiet one at home. I did cook a 16 lb turkey, made a stuffing recipe that I've always wanted to try (apples, raisins, pecans), cranked up the wood stove, and watched football/snoozed all day. I have tons of leftovers - I guess I'll make a big batch of turkey soup for the freezer this weekend. Does anyone ever just freeze individual servings of the overall meal itself - if so, how does it taste once it is thawed out and I guess microwaved? terri

quote Karen
I am thankful to have a job to go to, and to have a home to return to, and as always for my beautiful daughters and hubby! I'm thankful to all my friends on DG too!
I can't add anything to that sentiment!

Best get well wishes to those under the weather==boy seems like a lot of bugs went around us and we only get together digitally?! Clostridium digitalis? I used to be a food inspector so I always sweat the cross contamination. I feel really relieved when the turkey is in the oven and I can clean up. But I can't explain getting sick before turkey day.

By the way stormyla, there is at least one teen who still could stay up all night if 'need be'. (good buddy home from college ) Are you sure that early to bed didn't just need to catch up from previous candle burnings?

There is surprisingly little left of 14 pounds of bird, but then there are teens here. I break it up after dessert and put the soup makings in a large pot and refridge it in the spare fridge. I have a bunch of plastic containers of odds and ends. My friend often makes a turkey breast and fixes reheatable portions with gravy, I would think a dinner with the other stuff would be somewhere in quality between Stouffers and fresh homemade. I have an assortment of plastic from carry out for any food packing needs.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yay! More booty!! Sally, no, not other late night candle burning. My friends and I have observed this phenomenon among the youngsters for some years now.

I am thankful that the niece helped me to wash a lot of the serving pieces before dinner and that my sister washed tons of dishes between courses and that DSO cleaned up the desert stuff. Oh me dogs was barkin'! I haven't stood on my feet for 12 hours straight since I got the plantar faschitis, and had to go to bed with ice packs on them.

I'm very thankful that my niece is here to stay until Sunday so we can have some fun together!. She better eat some Turkey and fixings!!! No shopping for us. Gonna try some local sightseeing, right after some laundry and putting some of the serving stuff away.

I'm hoarse this morning, let's name this keyboard disease, or has Sally already done that?? Hope everyone is feeling better!!!

Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

Our gobbler weighed in at a hefty 20.8 lbs. Today it's a brisk 41 degrees, wind whipping up leaves everywhere. Yet there are still roses, hydrangea, iris, thyme and mint, all picked today.
Along with family and friends, a walk in our gardens gives us reason to be thankful!

Thumbnail by jfleming

My candleburner and his friends were at Arundel Mills Mall from midnight to 7 am!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Sal, I've never heard of boys being such avid shoppers. Is midnight mall trekking now the same adventure as midnight Mass?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Boy's aren't avid shoppers but teenage girls are. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Hee Hee, Holly said exactly what I was thinking :-)

jfleming - those flowers are really pretty - especially the hydrangeas in the basket.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, jfleming, I like the Iris too.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--I am late, as usual, finding a new Thread that is NOT on my "watched" list......

We had a pig-out Feast at HD last Thursday (11/19). The Employee Fund Committee (they raise funds all year long by making lunches and charging $5 for them) pays for 4 Turkeys and 2 hams. Everything else is cooked/donated by the associates that CAN cook. Never a shortage! They turn the whole Training Room into a banquet facility!

As usual--I said i would take 2 of the turkey carcasses home to make soup (or they would get tossed)--and it WAS delicious! So much more meat to pick off of it....so many bones to simmer down for about 3 hours!

For the real Th. Giv.--I was invited to my girl-friends house to share her dinner with her family. as my daughter and her Husband went to Pittsburgh to visit with HIS kids and they all had a wonderful, relaxing time there--plus a great meal.
SO--I did minimal cooking...but enough!

For the HD dinner--I made a full 1/2 tray of Sausage Stuffing and also a large bowl-full of my Cranberry sauce.
Than--later on--the soup...
Made another pot of soup today from someone else's drippings and left-overs. Taking this back to work and giving it back to her as the "finished product".....Turned out SOOOOO yummy! She has NO time to cook--2 jobs and a family--so i stepped in and offered to cook the soup for her....ahem...because I KNOW i can make it super-YUMMY!

What I am grateful about is having you all here on DG that so enriches my life. Also--to my friend for inviting me over to her house to share the Feast. AND--even though I feel quite alone here by myself--i am grateful for the peace and solitude and lack of stress it provides me--NOT having to deal with other people's whims and fancies and demands....
Love the freedom!

Love you all too! Gita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.