Kitties with upset tummies :(

Phoenix, AZ

In the 15 years Buzzy has owned me he has never gone to the bathroom in the house, never clawed furniture or chewed on plants. This a.m. as I was getting ready for work he walked in the bedroom, walked over to the walk in closet....looked at me and had the runs :(

I'm sure this is his way of communicating that he doesn't feel well.
I am boiling him some chicken and rice. Any other good remedies/ideas? I think maybe he is just too old to eat Fancy Feast anymore :(

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

poor baby. Rice should do it! But then, I am an artist, not a vet.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Aw, poor thing. I can't help but I hope he feels better soon.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Awww, poor Buzzy. I give the each of the dogs about 1/2 of a smooshed up pepto bismol tablet mixed in peanut butter when they get diarrhea, but Buzzy is much smaller. Maybe Katie will chime in with a recommendation.

Phoenix, AZ

Poor Buzzy and poor Fishie. Kitty poo isn't pleasant- ever. the most common cause for that problem at my house is overindulgance in geckos. If Buzzy doesn't snack on geckos- or their tails- it could be just about anything. Pepto contains salicylates (in aspirin) and is not recommended for cats. There really aren't great OTC products for kitties- you could try a single dose of immodium liquid (an eyedropper is roughly equivalent to a cc is roughly 1/5 of a teaspoon. If he's acting sick or the problem continues at his age you want to take it seriously. Either get his vet to look him over, or give me a call and we can brainstorm about other possiblities.

signed,
the anonymous kitty doctor :)

Phoenix, AZ

No Gecko munching here. He does occasionally catch a little field mouse and bring it in and let it go in the house :(
Had to get out my Have-a-heart mouse trap last week, caught the little booger and let him go in the yard.

Buzzy just enjoyed 3 helpings of boiled chicken and rice. I'll keep an eye on him.

Thanks everyone and anonymous kitty doctor for your replies!

Phoenix, AZ

Puzzling. My kitty, Al, started doing that at an elderly age. I took him to the vet and found out he had hyperactive thyroid. Meds took care of that for a long time. I think he was 18 when he went to Kitty Heaven. Cats are amazing communicators. I have a flea story I can tell one day. Just amazing. I hope Ol'Buzz is feeling better!!!!! Soon!!!!!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Fishie, I hope Buzzy is doing much better after the three helpings of chicken and rice. lol
Hopefully that is a good sign. Most cats won't eat when they do not feel well.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I know I'm chiming in late, and you may have already gotten a handle on Buzzy's little problem, but when Simon was in that situation, one thing that helped a lot was pumpkin. He wouldn't eat it straight (although my vet said lots of cats will), but was fine when I mixed it up in his wet food. Seemed to firm everything up into distinct stools again, but she said it was nice and gentle and would be easy on his little old system.

If it's an ongoing problem, I can also recommend the PetBot spot cleaner (Bissell) for cleanups...

Good luck, and please keep us posted on Mr. Buzz!

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks Jill, I hope I don't get to the point of buying a PetBot :(
I'll try some Pumkin too. I know they give to it Boston Terriers for their obnoxious gas ☺

Gilbert, AZ

Sending healing thoughts for Buzzy!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Fishie, any updates on Buzzy ? I hope he is back to his normal self , with no more 'accidents'.

Phoenix, AZ

Lol, last night I saw him go out his cat door, so I followed him (in the dark) through the yard. I think he was too paranoid to do anything with me creeping behind him, poor guy. He has his own kitty litter sand trap in the corner of the yard. I'll be able to keep (follow) a better eye on him this weekend. He's enjoying his boiled chicken and rice tho =^..^=

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bummer Buzzy that you are sick. I howl and show my mistake to dahlianut when I am sick. She says its ok to make mistakes when you're sick. Here have a cyber head butt to to make you feel better

Luv the Crazy Ole Cat

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks Crazy =^..^=

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Buzzy, I hope you are feeling better. I know how you feel, two months ago, I had to have seven of my teeth pulled! But I'm feeling MUCH better now.

Purrs to you,

Miss Kitty

You should see what I smelled!

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Phoenix, AZ

7 teeth! Oh my!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

So glad to hear that Buzzy is eating and going outside... seems like good progress. I think you'll be cooking for him forever now!

Phoenix, AZ

Just home from seeing the movie "Blind Side" (loved it).

Buzzy was busy munching on a field mouse in the kitchen ;(
Apparently he doesn't let all of them go in the house. I was left with a small section of entrails AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!! My kitchen rug is in the washer on HOT.
I'm thinking this may have something to do with his tummy?

Phoenix, AZ

sheeesh. good guess. Tell him to lay off the french fried mousies and stick to the broiled ones.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

I have an indoor cat and when in the grocery store I saw a special blend of cat food for indoor cats I bought it, she ate it, and she had the worst case of runs imaginable. Back to what she was accustomed to.

Aquane, we had a flea infestation that I missed a few years ago until the cat refused to walk on the floor. As I worked to eradicate it I set up an intricate set of chairs and other items so she could get around the house without stepping on the carpet. It was funny to watch but I am sure she didn't appreciate the humor.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Fishie I spect that if Buzzy is chowing down (crunch,crunch) on a meese then alls good. Sometimes the crazy ole cat nibbles on a plant (just because) which he shouldn't. The resulting runs and chucks are all my fault of course. Perchance Buzzy did that? I spect that Buzzy is just blaming you for everything. Cats, crazy or not, are definitely convinced that its all OUR fault.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

So how is Buzzy's poo now? (To get to the heart of the matter)...

Im reminded of the current dog food commercial where the dog proclaims that he is not just a "good pooper", he is an "optimal pooper". I find it quite funny!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brilliant as usual dear Brenda. It's all about poo. waiting for the poo verdict......

Phoenix, AZ

i seem to remember another thread about a cute little boston terrier sort of pooch...another instance when someone had this forum completely fixated on poo. I wonder what will happen if I search DG for poo?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think you will be cascaded with poo kandy (may I call you kandy?). Poo is a very,very important indicator of pet health. Poofull but truthful.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I used to have to be very careful with Simon's diet--anything that was supposed to prevent hairballs was a definite no-no. Huge, honkin' horrible mess. :( And he would just look at me with those big yellow kitty eyes that said "Who, me?" and then stoically accept the fact that I would wipe his fuzzy little keister with a wet diaper until he too was less disgusting.

Miss my kitty, but I sure don't miss that!

Phoenix, AZ

MichaelZ,
When "Al" adopted us he had a horrible flea problem. We tried all sorts of things and cured him, eventually. "Bombed" the house etc. But, he communicated to me one day. I have a clear glass-top dining room table. I came home from work one day and he was sitting erect in the middle of the table. Seats 6, nothing but him on the table. He just stared at me, never moved, eyes following me everywhere. Finally, I got it. I went to the table and saw tens of thousands of clear flea eggs on the table. He had shaken them loose from his coat. It was amazing. Like I say ... eventually we got the whole thing very well under control and beaten.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Dahlanut, kandredmv is Katie, our local anonymous Veterinarian! She's quite awesome!

Phoenix, AZ

I hope to have a Poo siting and report some time today.

The other infamous pooper

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm sorry, Fish, but that dog looks...uhm...well...goofy!!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'd have to agree, what a funny face.

Phoenix, AZ

Yes...Chuck is.......well Chuck is special....................

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Ah, poor Chuck, why is everyone making fun of him? Bostons are cute. Our last dog was Boston & Traveling salesman. Sweetest dog we ever had. I sure miss her.

Phoenix, AZ

THIS JUST IN!!!

Still has the squirts :(

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Drat.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Fish, You have such a way with words.

Sorry about the feline elimination cascades.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

More rice ! Poor Buzzy !

Phoenix, AZ

Sorry to hear Buzz is still under the weather.... Have you tried the rice, cottage cheese, boiled hamburger fix? Stool sample? Eeeewwweeeey.

Phoenix, AZ

Judy, trust me...that's the only way to describe it :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.