Hackberry Trees, etc. #9

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

We packed our bags and moved from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1047570/

We've been talking about invasives and blooms and teaching school and pumpkin martinis. Now we are talking about covered wheels that take us from here to there and rhododendrons that bloom in November.

We cover Canada, Nevada, Texas and Kentucky, sometimes NY and all areas in between. You are welcome to join in at any time.

Good night Charlie, and Christi, and my other Sharon twin in Las Vegas....sleep well and we'll talk tomorrow.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Thumbnail by Sharran
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi All,
Great tree; interesting picture.
It isn't decorated with gold coins, is it?
Probably not in a consignment shop.

I thought you'd enjoy what my camera did when it's batteries were fast fading. Here it is in reality....

I thought the above photo was truly accidentally artistic, this one isn't.

No gold coins, just the endlife of the camera's batteries.

You have a great day, I'll be back later tonight...

Thumbnail by Sharran

I think I might have posted it on the last thread, but my mind is kersmogliated at this hour of the day, so you get what you get......

Anyway, hope your day is bright as those coins that weren't....
It's a little gray here.

Later!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Nite Sharon,
Thanks. Was a nice bright day,
but wondering what "kersmogliated" means.

Good night, Charlie..
Sometimes I just like to play with words.
Have a great tomorrow!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Creative!

Been testing a couple of researched peppermint martini recipes. Agree with you, need to bring chocolate in.

Love your Christmas trees. It's almost as though they're growing in your garden. Well almost. Average perennial blooms for two or three weeks. Your Christmas trees can do better than that.

Wish (as always) we lived within traditional social range. Would be taking you out for lunch tomorrow, Excellent One.

Charlie

Ahhhh Charlie....I wish so too.
And we could experiment with chocolate mint martinis! Chocolate and mint are my kind of celebration foods.

Back later.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon,

beginning to develop a real hostility to the idea of "user names".
Want to sign up for a reputable on-line news site, but to register as a user need to select a user name. Realize I can use my own name, but I'm unwilling to converse with other people who are unwilling to put their own names to their contributions. I understand reasons for the use of user names, but I don't believe in shouting ones opinion from the shadows. In politics, at least, it may be a sign of the times, but I think it's very unhealthy.

Not complaining about user names on Dave's Garden! I'm complaining about using user names in matters of politics.

Charlie

Most people in those situations are hiding behind their user names.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Perhaps it's a form of consumerism, consuming an identity. Maybe as with the participants in a reality show.

Maybe so, maybe their words belie their own reality.

If you think of it, we are faceless, silent, and all we know of each other are the words we write. We have no real clue who is behind these words. We can form an entirely new identity through our words if we are so inclined.

So can those in the political arena.

i am sure some do that very thing. But I am who I am, and it seems to show pretty consistently in my words, I guess. That's true of most of us on Dave's Garden. We don't have a hidden agenda. When we peel back the bark, we are what we are.

So..... consuming an identity? Maybe so. Perhaps they are unhappy with what they see once the bark is peeled back. Politics is a great big arena, and there are some very small players vying for the championship.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Wish people could talk about politics on Dave's, Sharon, but am sure it's a good thing people can't.

Mind you, there's lots of room for disagreement on things like invasives. I really don't like Chinodoxa luciliae, but there's lots of nice people who do. Well at least we all agree on chickweed. I hope.

Best thing about Dave's is "meeting" real people like you!

Better get to bed,
Nite,
Charlie

Nite Charlie...
Don't forget the chocolate mint tomorrow!!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sharon,
Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday, Dear Sharon.
Happy birthday to you.
Charlie, Carol and Buddy.

Thinking of you.

June picture again.
And it will be back next year!

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders

Good Morning.....and thank you, that was a lovely song! Charlie I could hear your voice clear as a bell.

Lovely photo, too. I hope your day is great.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Charlie, that is a great landscape. As far as politics, maybe DG could just put up a forum where we could kill each other, But to think about it I would rather garden because I do not think ANYONE can solve this problem. There are so many things going down that are not reported on the news in order not to panic the population. I would rather stay in my, "I really do not know what is going on". Some of my neighbors have gotten the message and some are still clueless. We, DG'r are all OK because we can grow what we will need to eat....
We are in deep **** God Bless. Get a Gun...

This message was edited Nov 20, 2009 8:14 PM

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Agree with you Sharon (SKW).
I love the comment re "where we could all kill each other". It sounds like something our late girl cat, Pebbles, tried with neighbouring cats that stepped on her property (or who just looked at her). Safer to be a DG'r!

Sharon, hope you did something nice today (or have something nice stored up to do). Happy birthday again.

A few more pictures. May have used them before. Late summer/early fall.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

As said use lots of helenium.

How pretty, Charlie!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Pebbles could never have defended the area of garden #2.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

She really wouldn't have liked the resident rabbit. I don't much either because it grazes on crocuses.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Am quite happy to have a break from gardening, but already want to get back to it!

Beautiful pictures. I had a great day, made greater by all my birthday greetings.
My friends in the NE forum even started a birthday thread for me, and one in the writer's group, one on the birthday forum...and nearly a hundred of them on Facebook. It was an amazing day.

Agree with you, too, Sharon. We can survive, we know how to make do with what we have, too.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

So happy to hear, Sharon.
A tribute to your thoughtful energy.
Nite, Friend,
Charlie

Good nite, Charlie...it was a great day.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Charlie, those photos of your hard work are wonderful. You can tell someone lives near them that loves gardening.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon, Sharon,
Must say Sharon, nice to get a seasonal break from gardening, particularly on other folk's properties. In that case, you feel under some pressure to get it right, or rather, more challenging, to keep it right through the growing season.
Still the more area you have to deal with, the easier that is.

But overall, gardening is a great stress buster. Sure Sharon loves it. Me too.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharons,
Carol's gearing up for Christmas.
She put the wall one together.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Buying poinsettias.
A nice compact one with an interesting colouring.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Turning on lights.
It's so mild here for this time of year, you could actually put up the lights now without having freezing hand.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2018 5:42 PM

Oh....Oh...Oh...♫♪ It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ♪♬

Looking great, Charlie...i can see my moon in your sky, too! Carol did a great job, you both did.

And I love the poinsettia, it is an unusual color, looks very creamy within the red edges. Beautiful!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Like the music, Sharon.
Not seen that poinsettia before either.
Wow. Did DGers keep you busy on your birthday.
Nice to be popular!
Better get to bed,
Charlie

Ya know, Charlie, I just really enjoy people, and I learn a lot from them. And people inspire me, too...

When do you and Carol make your trek to Florida? And I have forgotten where you stay when you get there, what town, I mean. Wouldn't it be fun if I visited my daughter at the same time? We could have a real gab fest. It probably won't happen, but fun to think about.

Now if Sharon would bring her imaginary limo and pick me up, she and I could both cruise on down to the land of sun and sand. We'd slip over and grab Christi, too.

Good night, Charlie....talk again tomorrow.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My bags are packed and ready.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon and Christi,
Sounds great!
We stay in St Pete Beach, in 2010, in February.
Where's your daughter located?
Just came back from viewing a Council meeting.
Quite foggy.
Charlie

Hi Charlie,
My daughter is in Ft Lauderdale, so it is much further south than you will be.
Still it is a fun thought, and maybe someday it will happen.

Sorry I am so late tonight....it's been a long day and I am catching up on little things that need doing. Maybe I'll have more writing time tomorrow, but without my gardens I don't have much exciting to talk about. It's all about Christmas and holidays now I guess, then we'll start dreaming about gardens again.

I still have roses blooming, though, so that's fun.

Sleep well, we'll talk tomorrow.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon,
Today, not completely sure will be going south anyway!
Buddy (who's diabetic) could have just had a mini-stroke (seemed catatonic at one point yesterday), and/or he could have eaten something during the kitchen floor work. He does have some digestive stress and is not eating that much. Re Florida; would not want to leave him here (or particularly at vets'), for a whole month. Let you know how it's going.

Do intend to meet you in the future, Sharon! Obvious time would be when I fold my small business and can drive south in summer months. Know all your routine commitments too. Goes without saying, you can stay with us any time.

Charlie

Oh no, Charlie, that really sounds serious, but I hope it is just something minor.

I am completely blank at the moment but how old is Buddy?

When my ginger cat was about 16 she started having minor seizures (mini strokes) and it nearly scared me senseless, but they didn't happen often. She was healthy otherwise, but I know it is very scary. She lived another year +, and then began seizing too often. It was a very very painful decision for me, but it was best for her. The look in her eyes told me it was time to let her go.

I hope it is not like that for you, and hope also that Buddy is younger. Sorry I can't remember his age. Maybe he just ate something he shouldn't have eaten, and will be all better tomorrow. Please do let me know how he is.

I'll send little kitty angels to watch over him tonight.
Hugs to all of you.
Sharon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.