E-Bucket thread continued here

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

OH MY How in the world do you separate them with out harming them? That's a lot of seedlings. Your going to have to make some more buckets.LOL

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Catz,
Karen told me they don't feel any pain (^^_^^).

There's a separation method called HOS - "hunk a sowing". You just grab a hunk of what you sowed and plop it into the container!

Not all of these seedlings are for me. In fact, most of them are NOT for me. I'll only keep about 6-8 mustard green seedlings to continue through the season, til it gets too hot and they bolt.

The rest I'm giving away to friends and other growers who want them. This was part of my 1st time WSing experience, to prove that Karen was right all along! (^^_^^)

Karen knows WSing!

^^_^^_^^ (me and Karen WSing!)

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

ROTFLOL
HOS sounds like what I would do. I just couldn't imagine how you would separate them all.LOL Great idea about passing on the extras too. Waste not want not.

Oh, cheese, I will soon post what I did, WHY did I do that?? Because the packet had hundreds of seeds.

Why did I do that??? "Me no know!" as Islanders say.

Like my friends with their first garden, they bought squash seeds, three varieties, and planted ALL the seeds in three long rows. They were dying a not-so-quick Death By Squash.

"Because that's how many seeds were in the packets"

hahahahahahaha poor them.

Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: What a nice array of 5 gallon buckets and milk jugs, you go girl, bet the neighborhood loves you, you share your veggies right? LOL
joy

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from Moonglow :
Hello, Everyone!

........ I'll have Mark (Ray_Der_Phan) do a cooking demo.

Wait, what? Only if I can wear a mullet wig and Rollerblades. lol

This message was edited Jan 26, 2010 8:52 PM

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

:( No Ebuckets for me this weekend. Bad weather and pneumonia :(

Corte Madera, CA

catz - oh, no. but please do rest up. health takes first priority.

babe, i didn't think you'd use that silly wig anymore so i sent it out for donation when i was home last month. the rollerblades, your buddy sham borrowed.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Spring is coming someday I am sure but I am getting antsy to do some kind of planting now. So.....I got the idea to fashion a strawberry bucket using our Ebucket design. I have no idea whether it will work or not but I am going to give it a try. Here's what it looks like.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2010 9:13 AM

Thumbnail by gessieviolet

verrry interesting!

Gessie,
I saw this concept using a large diameter PVC pipe. But you've taken this 2 a whole new level. You have hit the Strawberry Mother Lode, and
I bow at the feet of ur creative genius!
Your humble student,
Linda

Crestview, FL

Gessie violet: You used a colander for bottom of the bucket I take it?
I notice a pipe coming out of the drain hole? Looks very interesting and might even be a lot better than these strawberry topsy turvys here that I am using. I decided to try them this year instead of the EBs and GPs I used last time and I'm already regretting it. They did well in the EBs and GPs and if this bucket idea works that would definately be a way to go for strawberries I would think. Keep us posted ok and if you can let us know how you made it?
joy

I just Googled instructions for growin strawbrries in my area and looks like I missed the window. We plant in Nov and harvest in April. But, look for my berry eBuckets next fall! Straws aren't my favorite, but DH Likes em.
I like mulberries! Used 2 climb a huge tree (yes, a mulberry "tree") as a child and mother would "stew" em down in a bubbling syrup. Then she'd drop Bisquick dumplings into the bubbling syrup. They'd be gooey on the outside and cake-like on the inside. I'd eat dumplings and berries til I was almost sick! Um. Um, good!

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Joy and Gymgirl you have D-mail

I have no idea whether this will actually work but I am in one of those "I wonder if................I don't see why not'' modes.

Linda, I finally found the WS forum and am really excited by the concept. I always plan to fall sow but then am generally too lazy to fix up an area that will protect the seeds. This looks like the way for me to accomplish 2 goals this season..

Oh, Linda, here in zone 8 we usually do the same, but I am hoping with everbearers I might get some fruit this year.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2010 1:54 AM

This message was edited Feb 1, 2010 1:55 AM

Linda, perhaps 'day neutral everbearers'?

Hey, Gessie & Mola!

I'll be outfitting some berry eBuckets during my down time this season, so I can be ready to plant seedlings come next November. Looking forward to this journey, too.

Gessie,
I figure that horizonal drain pipe is what you used instead of a straw, correct? Do you have the colander inside to create the water reservoir? What planting medium did you use?

The article I read says strawberries ideally like acid soil and that sand was the best growing medium. Then also suggested potting mix with lots of organic amendments, fertilizing each layer on initial planting, and then using a balanced water soluable fertilizer every week from then on through the growing season. We're to snip any blooms or shoots (runners?) that form between November and December to concentrate growth on the plant first.

The expectation is to get a whole pint of strawberries from EVERY plant!

Oh, and expect to battle pillbugs, birds, and snails. Recommendations for this were a circle of ash around the area, bird netting, and sprays containing Daconil for the pillbugs.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

The details for making a Ebucket strawberry bucket
http://mckarion.wordpress.com/2010/01/30/frugal-garden-strawberry-bucket/

Crestview, FL

Yeah, I planted my strawberries in November; but, they are barely hanging on right now, and it's not due to the cold weather, they love cold weather, it's the strawberry topsy's I think, you'd of thought I'd of learned with the tomatoes right? That buckets for the strawberries looks great, I think the problem with the strawberry turvys is going to be getting some moisture down to the bottom row of the hanging thing which won't be a problem with the bucket one, as it has a reservoir and you can also water from the top too if you had to. I did plant strawberries in the bloommaster also, what a mess that could have been had I not kept stuffin more potting mix into the holes as with all this rain, it wasn't holding onto the strawberry plants at all.
joy

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, you all are a convincing bunch, let me tell you! LOL! Been following this thread and finally decided to go for it. Please tell me that you are extremely happy with this idea before I buy anymore.

Mine cost a little more to make, because I didn't want to drive the 100 mile roundtrip to Lowes or Home Depot. I bought two 4 1/2 gal red buckets at Dollar General for $3 each and two colanders for $2 each. Just trimming off the curved outside edge allows the colanders to fit upside down in the buckets perfectly. I already had the pvc pipe, plus airhose and straws (I'll use whichever works best when I put these together) A bag of potting soil with fertilizer cost me $3. So all totaled, these will cost me $8 each. I've got some cherry tomatoe plants that are already 15" high, so need to do something with them soon, and it's way too soon to go out in my garden. Right now they are in the house, but I'll move them to the greenhouse in 2-3 weeks. These are basically an experiment to see if I can get some super early cherry tomatoes.

I appreciate all of the information you all shared! thank you very much!

Robin

Good luck Robin! Be sure to keep us updated.

Melissa

Crestview, FL

Robin: Potting soil is too heavy dear, potting mix is what you need, and might have to think about adding perlite to that also. Maybe at a ration of 60/40 (potting mix/perlite). Add 1 1/2 c of dolomite lime and epsom salt to the mix before planting tomato.

joy

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Darned! I was more intent on reading how to make the Ebuckets and neglected to think about the growing medium. I did buy Proffessional Potting Mix and it does have perilte and limestone, but the ratio of perlite isn't anywhere near the suggestion. I have epson salt here. Is that 1 1/2 cup EACH of lime and salt for each bucket?

Guess I'll work on transplanting seedlings from seed trays to small pots with these bags. Won't be making a road trip to the big city where I can buy perlite for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Robin

Crestview, FL

Robin: No, you just need about 1 Tbsp of espom salt. Make sure you mix the dolomite in really well so it doesn't clump up, if the potting mix is light, you can probably get by without the perlite. Some of the potting mixes already have perlite in it. What kind are you using?
joy

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Went to town and bought some bags of Professional Potting Mix that Dollar General carries. Don't know the ratio of perilite, but there is some in it. Only 8#, compared to the same size bag of potting soil at 20#, so yes, I think it will be light enough. Also bought another bucket and colander, so I now have 3 buckets of cherry tomatoes. They look so pretty! I'll take pictures later. Thanks for your help!

Concord, NC(Zone 7b)

Linda, so sorry I missed your request a while back (in the earlier incarnation of this thread) for pics of the tomatoes I grew in the Ebuckets! I'll post a pic of the plants I took on October 18, which is when I harvested all of the fruits before our first frost. Since these were plants from cuttings taken towards the end of the season, they didn't get a chance to get very big, but they did yield VERY well for the size they were, and they seemed much healthier than the ones I grew in grow bags and cages all summer.

I have the four I made last summer and I've already told my husband I want to make 4 more (at least!)... guess I need to start lurking at the dollar store again so I can find the right colanders!

Thumbnail by liannenc
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Forgot to ask again....what is the purpose of using the plastic lid or covering with a piece of sheet plastic?

San Angelo, TX

It keeps the moisture in and the weeds out.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Cool

Crestview, FL

Beautiful tomato plants.

Robin: I have 50 buckets and aren't using plastic or lids with mine, I think using them also helps cut back on any soil diseases that are caused from the rain splashing the potting mix up onto the bottom leaves. In a book I'm reading about giant tomatoes, it talks about cutting away the bottom foot or so of branches to help cut back on soil diseases also.
joy

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Joy, Gotcha! I just had a DuH moment....

Lianne, love seeing you had tomatoes in Oct!

My 3 Ebucket tomatoes look great this morning. And we've got a bit of sunshine...whoohoo!

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I've been reading the old E-bucket threads with great interest. I'm going to make some for determinate tomatoes that I have ready to transplant. The only thing I haven't found is the recipe for the additives...how much fertilizer, lime, etc? Thanks!

David

potting MIX only - not soil, or dirt...

2 cups fertilizer, any three numbers between 10 and 15. Most people use 10-10-10. I use 13-13-13 or 14-14-14. I can't ever find Triple 10... Poured in a strip farthest away from your seedlings, so as to not burn any roots. See the Earthbox website for pictures of how to place your fertilizer strip.

2 cups PELLETIZED Dolomite Lime, mixed into the top 4-6 inches of your potting mix. Powdered lime turns into a concrete slab or rocks if it's not mixed in well...

2 tbsps. Epsom salts mixed in with the Lime wouldn't hurt, although it's not part of the original "recipe..."

Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: Do you have an Ace Hardware close to you? I buy the "Red Fox" brand, theirs I believe of 10-10-10 for about $11 for a 50 lb bag! My Burpees maters came today!!!!!!!
joy

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I added this over on the Beginner Gardening forum, but thought it would be polite to post here since this series of threads is where I got the idea. Thanks!

David

Thumbnail by dreaves
Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

David, looks great! Aren't you impressed with how simple the eBucket is to assemble! Your tomato is going to take off now so keep us posted.

Glad to have you join us as we continue 'FEEDING THE WORLD, ONE BUCKET AT A TIME'

Cartersville, GA

Hello from Atlanta! I have a question or two about these awesome buckets.... okay, I probably have more than just one or two.....(I think I'm too excited about these things...lol). I am very new to any kind of gardening and normally have a brown thumb when it comes to house plants. I think if I lived before grocery stores, my family would die. That's why I'm trying to learn.... in case I ever need to know how. I suppose it would be better to learn while having another food source, than learning with an empty stomach. LOL

1. I'm using Miracle Grow potting mix that feeds plants up to 6 months.... Do I need to still add fertilizer around the top edges this first season using them?

2. On another site globalbuckets.org these boys teach you how to make self watering containers using 2 buckets (this is why I like your buckets better. lol). They use black plastic to cover the tops and they make a mound on the top so rain water runs away from the plant. Can I use the black plastic with your style containers or will it cause the plants to be too wet? or is it better to use the plastic bucket lid with the hole cut in it to allow for more air to reach the soil?

3. What sized containers do I need for tomatoes, cucumbers, winter squash(s), peppers, eggplant, and broccoli? I'd like to use the smallest ones possible (with great results) as to save on the potting mix. I am able to get the 5 gal, 3.5 gal, and a smaller sized one for free from our local grocery store bakeries. I had heard that you could use the 3.5 gal when using the 2 bucket system, but I'm not sure if the container would be too small with one bucket system.

4. And has anyone tried a self watering system where you hook the buckets together to a water supply using a gravity/siphon system? The boys on the globalbuckets site show you how to do that and I would love to try it. Okay, so I'm lazy and would rather not have to worry about watering at all this summer if I can get away with it. lol

I really appreciate any and all help you can give me. Thank you!!!!!

Crestview, FL

Ya'll will never believe what my brother gave me, it's a container the size of an EB and has two drain holes already in it, now what can I use for seperating a reservoir and the top of the thing????
joy

Clarke,
Yah drive a hard bargain.

#1. Yes, you do. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7687386

#2. Yes, you can use the plastic. Light for summer -- dark for winter. Tape it or use a bungee cord around the eBucket. Main reason for any cover is to keep the backsplash off your plant. Less chance of disease.

#3. Tomatoes -- not less than 5 gallons, preferably 10 gallons or larger
cukes, zukes, winter squash(s), peppers, eggplant, and broccoli will do fine in a 5 gallon eBucket.
Eggplants, broccoli, cabbages, cauliflowers all require 1 plant per 5-gallon eBucket). These plants like organic mediums so you can supplement your potting mix with aged compost, decomp leaves and it will go further.

#4. Bocabob's automatic drip system will accommodate 45 different drip sites on one sytem. Instructions are attached.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: I am glad I got my poly tubing from Bob, I have used 300 feet of it thus far for my irrigation drip system, but everything is hooked up now, I have two now, one for my 40 five gallon buckets, another one for my 10 EBs, 6 GPs, and 8 turvy types. I even put together 5 soaker hoses on Y connects for my canna lily bed in the front yard, I'm hooked up now. LOL
joy

Cartersville, GA

Gymgirl- thank you for your help.

I ended up seeing Bocabob's system after posting (such a newbie for not looking more on the site first, sorry) . It is somewhat what I'm thinking of. The system I saw actually has a covered reservoir bucket with an adjustable float valve (I'm going to try a toilet float valve thingie). This is hooked up to a water source and also hooked to the 1/2in tubing that runs to feed 1/4in tubing to each plant. As the plants use the water, the float in the reservoir allows it to fill up only when needed. After reading Bocabob's instructions, I am wondering though it I'm going to need a water pressure regulator?? I didn't think of that.

So, do you think that the 3.5gal buckets will be too small for the cukes' root systems? or the root systems of some of the other smaller plants?

I think my brown thumb may actually start to turn green, I see it has an 'olive-ish' hue to it already...

Thank you for the help.

jennifer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.