Thoughts and Prayers go out to the Ida/Nor'Easter Victims

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Since this is the Mid-Atlantic Forum...

I know everyone has been watching the weather and news for the past few days, and how this latest storm has affected our own coastline... from the Carolinas to the Jersey Shore. If you were not directly involved, then you probably know someone who was.

My thoughts and prayers go out to each and every one tonight as damage assessments and clean-ups get underway.

Please post your thoughts and any news you have to share here... and your photos too!

Karen

(Satellite photo courtesy of Weather.com)

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes Karen, we also watched weather channel for days it seemed, the storm really tearing up the coast. I don't have any news or pix tho. "Lucky " enough not to own that 'property on the water' yet.
Ts and Ps

With so many homes and other personal property to worry about, I know most people don't realize how badly this storm tore up natural areas and beaches. As everyone knows, my family and I have become enthralled with Chincoteague. I followed all the news I could about the area on the internet during the storms pass. They closed the causeway that is the only way on and off the two island at 3:30pm on Thursday. Last night I found information that Assateague and the National Wildlife Refuge took considerable damage. They have closed the NWR until further notice, and posted a handful of photos on their site. I have not been able to find out any further info about the twon of Chincoteague except that they are without power (obviously).

Here is a link to the photos....
http://www.fws.gov/northeast/chinco/nor%27easter.html

For those that may read this that do live along the coast or do own property down there, I am not trying to lessen anyone's loss. I am so sorry for any damge or loss that has occured. I cannot imagine what it must be like to lose home and property to a storm like this. My prayers and well-wishes continue to go out to those...

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

My sis and BIL were on Chincoteague through this all. Patiently awaiting for a report. I saw some pretty bad news coverage. They had a nice boat and multi unit rental property on the island.

Please keep us posted!

My sister and BIL report in:

For two days (at high tide) the causeway into Chincoteague was closed. We also got more flooding than we have ever seen here. It had been like this once before since we bought our place, but that time we weren't here. The water was up several inches on the skirting of the mobile home. The roads into our place and the entire area were solid water. For a day and one-half we could not get out of our area. The town of Chincoteague was declared in a state of emergency. The winds were very strong. We had plenty of food, and thank goodness we had electricity, so we were fine. Today the sun is shining, it is warm and the waters are going down. It is beautiful here (except for the remaining water.).

Good to hear doc... I know you were glad to hear from her!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Glad they are OK!
And how do the ponies cope? They must have some way, they've been there thru other storms in the last few hundred years.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, that was some crazy weather. Hope everyone stayed safe.
Is it just me or did they not make a big deal out of this storm before it hit? Seems to me there wasn't enough warnings that it was going to be as bad as it was.

All horses will seek high ground herd up with their butts to the wind and just stand there. They will use natural shelter if it is available. I expect they could swim to the mainland if need be. Most likely they are to tame to figure that out. A bad flood would likely solve the overpopulation problems for quite some time.

As a boy scout above the timberline on Old Baldy in New Mexico we huddled right in front of and under our Rocky Mountain Canaries wrapped in our tents. They herded butts to the storm and helped protect us from a bad ice storm that lasted several hours. Not a one moved a foot as long as we were huddled up to them. My donkey got my carrot that evening. They will not be pets or friends but they understand survival far better than man. We finished the trail with a line between the donkeys two boys between each donkey. They knew the narrow ten or less inch trail even when it was covered with hail. They knew exactly where the campsite was in a little valley and took us right straight to it. That was a lesson in trust and faith. We had great donkey stock and a guide that was half donkey. Boy was the coffee good that evening. Ten boys became a little closer to the manhood they were growing into. Ten boys were a little closer to their higher power. We slept well that evening. There were no two way radios, cell phones or helicopters to check on us and it was fine that way. Our parents did not know that and it was fine that way. We did not talk to much when we got home so the experience would be available yet another year for a few hundred more boys.

I expect that all who weathered the storm and survived will in fact be stronger better human beings as a result of the experience this past weekend. Of course we hate to see loses but they are normal in the course of time. Shore people like river valley people and high mountain retreat folks are known to take risks and pay the price whatever it may be. God's will be done. Works for me.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lots of damage there, but maybe the clean up will provide some much needed jobs in the area. Thanks, for the pics, VWR.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.