homemade greenhouse carbon dioxide generator using manure

Decatur, AL

I am building my version of a solar passive greenhouse in northern Alabama. I have access to all the cattle manure I can haul. I use the manure as a green component in my compost but wondered if anyone has tried it as a carbon dioxide generator in a hobby greenhouse and if so, what are some suggestions for proper installation and maintenance? I would also be interested in information from anyone who generates decent amounts of carbon dioxide for their greenhouse using yeast.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2010 2:38 PM

Noble County, IN(Zone 5b)

J_AFC - On the subject of green manure as a carbon monoxide generator. I tried this last fall in my greenhouse. Not sure I would ever use it again in a closed greenhouse environment. Emission levels of concentrated ammonia became very high, wasn't pleasant to be inside at all, not sure the plants liked it that much either. I started seeing blackened leaves on my Hedichiums, not certain if that was the cause or just because I was purposefully lowering the greenhouse temps to encourage dormancy or semi-dormancy. At any rate, I probably wouldn't use really fresh manure again. I do make compost in my greenhouse, but only add small amounts of semi-aged manure now.

Hope this helps!

west allis, WI(Zone 4b)

I tried using yeast, kinda worked but co2 is heavier than air so I had a line from the fermentor going up and over the plants. With the yeast you can't control ppm and its only good for small enclosed areas. When you make wine as it ferments it gives off co2 and I tried doing it that way too. But not enough co2. There are also some fizzy tablets special made for greenhouses/grow rooms, but then again no control on the co2 and the tablets are not cost effective. You can use dry ice too, but same problems. I've been looking into co2 regulators w/timers that use co2 tanks. I'll probably get that set up within the month. With that you control ppm, timing and seems cost effective...................just rattling on about what I know....................b

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I had a friend who lived in Alaska, raised rabbits in the greenhouse for CO2 and heat. Semi-sunken GH to minimize heat loss. It's an idea.

Yeah, I'd think the ammonia from fresh manure would be pretty hard to handle. We compost large quantities of stall stuff and it's eye watering til the first turning or so.

Noble County, IN(Zone 5b)

It wasn't really terrible until I added bloodmeal to the mix. Then lookout! WAAAAY to much nitrogen!

(Forgot to mention the bloodmeal in my 1st post, didn't I? Oops!) No.no. don't do it. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.