Hellebores for 2010 - Whos doing them?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We had a fair amount of snow but the deep cold was the worst. January was really cold with temps in the teens for three weeks.
This was Dec.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And we had a pretty good winter last year, as winters go here.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

The name of the PNW thread where we discussed this is "we are all connected", so this attempt seemed particularly apropos there. The thought is that if we guide our thoughts to focus on a very specific outcome, we do have some power to influence even Mother Nature.

So far, so good. But we are supposed to have an "El Nino" winter which means lots of precipitation, but warmer temps. So we do have that on our side to begin with. Last winter we had a once-in-100-years snow. I loved it, but missed 1.5 weeks of work. I don't want a repeat of that.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Your "guided thoughts" statement is a real thing.
Its called "erg"I think

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, dont think WA can top the midwest snow of 67.

Heaped to the rafters it was.. er make that eaves of the house it was. No one was moving except the menfolk who were so desperate to go to town for um Groceries... They unbeleiveably walked several miles to the store, took the kids sled and several hours later.. Party time. Funny, cant remember who shoveled the driveway...but I remember sledding down that big ole hill of snow when all was said and done! Be the last time I can remember ever liking snow too..! No one worked for days....well, that is at a paying job except the grocer....the plows had trouble getting out too. The power stayed on as I recall. But I have been through winters several days running without.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

We had a snow like that at Christmas in 67.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, 1836. How can it not be, right?

Oh, yeah, no - we could never top the midwest for snow. That's for sure. Especially when you have a precipitation-making machine like that. :-)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL!! hmm your that old and can remember that? LOL! Just kidding,, gotta tease alittle, the derned dial up is driving me insane. Yano, there is only one thing worse than winter period and thats DIAL UP in the WInter!

In 1836.. who'd a thunk (yeah, hillbilly werd) we would all be here all cheery and brite yaking on a machine like this! LOL!

Course me, I still go through the paces feeding the horses in the blustery cold, pailing water to them and having their warm fuzzy noses breathe in my face in the snow... so I can get a quick grip on what went on back in 1836!~ Lord, I have only one thing to wish for in winter and thats a 1836 real rooten tooten pair of geniune buffaloe hide cowboy boots! Now THEY had to keep yer feet warm! None of this plastic junk.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh, that reminds me of going to the Sunday dog sled races with my dad. Even though the sun was out, our feet would get numb and we'd go into this big warehouseish building to thaw out after the dogs had taken off. I'm sure it was only 30 in there.

The Eskimo ladies would have the most beautiful parkas and mukluks. And they never looked like they were cold at all. Wish I had some of my dads photos . . .

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That would be a forum of its own

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well ge, we have to entertain our minds as we consider the passion of planting hellebores... Im still thinking on it!

What the heck is a mukluk? That sounds like the job I have in our animal shelter!! MUCK - Luck.... And no, not going there...seems things are always piling up!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I believe the Mucklucks are their boots

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have lots of hellebores, some of them well established plants (about 10 - 15 years) so they flower and seed very well. I would recommend buying the plants in flower if you can - there are so many beautiful plants in different colours, with or without spots and stripes. The species forms are particularly beautiful but can be difficult to track down. Most are very easy to grow in part sun and/or shade. They don't do very well in pots and are definitely not suited to growing indoors. This is foetidus Westerfisk. Do give them a try, you won't regret it and will get hooked...

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

Foliage is beautiful on the H. foetidus, Galanthophile. It looks like it has a silver-blue frosting to the leaves with violet undertones. You're a fan of snowdrops?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice hellebore there galante!! Im getting hooked on looking thats for sure. I may have a spot in my garden...

aahhhh ge.. so thats where they got the term... muckers! LOL!

Well, its raining here.. but their talking snow....

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Galanthophile, Would you have a source for that beautiful Helleborus?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It's an easy to find hellebore here, Mary. I purchased it as Wester Flisk, though. I think it goes by both names. Edelweiss, Avant gardens, Pine Knots.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Polly, I looked at all of those, but they show green/bronze foliage.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a couple of them, and they tend to get silvery towards winter. Maybe Galanthophile will comment more. But I think usually they are more green, and silver up towards winter. Barry Glick has one, 'Frenchy' that does the same for me, green in summer, and silver towards the end of the year. But hopefully Galanthophile will come back and advise on that.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Polly. I saw one write up say that they get a silver overlay. I have to look at my records and see which Foetidus I planted.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I asked Galanthophile to come back and let us know why the hellebore is so silvery. Galanthophile is always so helpful, and knowledgeable.

Hi again. I have a few "ordinary" green foetidus which seed around so I always have plenty. I was aware of the Westerfisk or Westerflisk form because it has red rimmed flowers and a red blotch in the middle of the leaf frond but always thought do I really "need" it.. However when I saw this in a local garden centre it literally stopped me in my tracks and I just had to have it. It's a very silvery blue form imo, I've never seen anything else like it. I will try and save some seeds! Thanks for all your kind comments. I'll hunt out a few more photos of my species. If you like hellebores have a look here as there are some very expert people that post there. http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forums/hellebores/.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Galanthophile.

Thanks, Galanthophile, for the additional info. If I find room for one H. foetidus, I want to make sure it's the right one.

Morgantown, WV

After 2 years of failed attempts at starting Hellebores from seed, I'm planning on buying plants this year. I may go to Barry Glick's Sunshine Farm and Gardens... it's not THAT far of a drive, and I sometimes drive through that area... has anybody been there?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love my foetidus.I am still aiting or blooms.Its been bitter cold ,lo's 7* and day highs 20's.Snow keeps me from walking areoun to check it out.

Mary - Nice that you're so close to the nursery. I have 'Westerfisk' on my wish list. Been too tied up with the holidays to do much more than lurk a bit.
ge - Yours blooms this time of year?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It looks as though it might,however this plant is new to me and may only be putting up buds uthat stay unopened until March.

ge - Ah - I thought in an earlier post you mentioned that it was new in your garden.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the second year.I planted it spring of 08

Maybe your H. foetidus forms buds earlier than H. orientalis? I have only the latter and they usually don't bloom until March for me if the winters are very brutal.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Foetidus is normally the earliest. Mine were trying to bloom before the snow.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They are new to me so I can only guess as to whats happening. Foetidus has put up light green fingers at the ends of branches and I can see round buds in the "palm". The plants have been that way for several weeks. I saw fotidus blooms in the pic from RedChick last year. They are in the background of the big painting I did of her helebores

Thumbnail by ge1836
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How pretty. I admired that on your website.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

the fotidus are so stately in the back.

Hmm - earlier flowers sure sound great! Does foetidus take as long to reach flowering age as orientalis (approx 3 yrs)?
ge - Didn't know you painted. Cool. Can you d-mail me your website?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

ge, those are gorgeous...Grrreat pix! Would make for a verrrrry
lovely card!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The fotides I have are going to bloom this year after being planted in '08
joanngentle.com

My foetidus plants seed around quite freely and flower in their second or third year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a non helleborus question.
I was given a gift certificate for WFF and am looking at their strawberries and Cream asiatic collection.
Has anyone had experience with this.?
I quit WFF because their plants are small and usually didnt survive the first year. The 3 reviews of the lily collection are 2 to 1 positive.
The one neg. put me off by stating the mix had no whites and the other colors were alike.Its a 25 bulb mix.
I am sure I can get BuggyCrazy bulbs for less.Maybe I will just get a hosta and be done with it.
Let me know in any event.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.