Hmm hmm, bread racks and milk crates..

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

just sitting in the weeds next to a small store that went belly-up a few months ago. It seems that when the bread/ milk person no longer delivers he doesn't care to return for a few plastic racks. Now I would never steal from a store that reuses them (since I graduated from school LOL) but these are just forgotten.
OK so I did take a bread rack today. It looks like an awesome compost sifter. Holes in the bottom are about a half inch square.

Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

A bread rack would also hold lots of little pots....

Yes it will be great in spring if I have a bunch of small pots to move out. I hope to! coleus cuttings and who knows what else by then.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

They are great for keeping your milk bottle winter sowings containers in so they don't blow around. It's a great thing to store lifted bulbs and tubers in over the winter. I have two bread racks and constantly find uses for them. They're great for putting all of your chemical bottles in so they don't get knocked over. Somehow I hear a YKYAG coming out of this...

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Sally, I had to re-read your post. It gave me a chuckle. Were you in the habit of making off with plastic bread racks from grocery stores prior to your graduation from school? Pam

tee hee--my sister or brother somehow** acquired a milk crate, back before crates were made for the regular stores and sold as storage items! When you couldn't just go buy a crate, it seemed like an awesome and rare storage device for textbooks, stereo components, whatever ..Gosh that thing was sturdy.. You know at the college age when you want to be just a little rebellious so you borrow something ..kind of Stick It To The Man....or was that just me? Oh the thrill of actually hauling a dining hall chair out of the d h and taking it all the way to your room and nobody stops you?? Or so I am told....

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Sally, my friend and I were in about 9th or 10th grade and we each took two of the flashing lights that road crews put on the ground to warn motorists. We each had a pair in our basements that flashed non-stop for 6 to 7 years. Now where can we get some of those kind of batteries???

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Here you go, Stormy.

http://aonesafety.com/traffic-battery-4r25.htm

http://www.northernsafety.com/Search/GP225BAFL11/Safety-Maintenance-Traffic-Safety-Supplies-Highway-Traffic-Safety-Warning-Lights-Barricade-Flasher.html

Now you watch, she'll be incorporating flashing warning lights into her garden decor. LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Aha! Yes, they were it Hart. Darn good working things too. We still laugh about how there was no way to turn them off. We also snuck home with them at night tucked under our sweatshirts with them flashing on the whole walk home!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

And the drunk on the corner gave up drinking after seeing the giant lightning bugs. LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

ROFLMBO

Ah ha ha ha!! too funny

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Hmm. I didn't think those milk crates were big enough for a compost sifter, but maybe....you can always work on a small scale.

All through college, I had roommates and friends who had milk/bread racks, construction spools, and other neat stuff that they said they "found." I was intrigued. Who would go around looking for things like that?? One guy I knew liked to visit dumpsters behind bookstores at night. He actually found some great books thrown out. He found me some old Shakespeare books that were never read.

Good luck finding the flashing street lights, Sally & Stormy. If you put them in your yard, I'm sure someone will get spooked and think there is danger out there.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Foxy, We trash pickers just love our "finds"!!

Today in the woods I found a completely rusted table base. I'll try to get a picture so y'all can vote on should I take it or not. Like a cheap restaurant table, with no top. The total rust makes it look cool--IMHO

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Are you going to spray-paint it and put tiki lights on it, or Christmas lights and decor? It looks like an open gift box?

Hm a milk crate could be wrapped to look like a gift for outside, and heavy so it wouldn't blow
I just cannot beleive its TG week which means Xmas around the corner.!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Sally, I have tons of milk crates, I have no knowledge of where they came from but I have them. LOL I use them for everything. A "few" of them were actually bought.
I also have about 5 bread trays. I picked up the bread trays from along side of the road someone had them sitting out for the trash. Boy do they come in handy. Go back to that store and grab the rest of them if they are still there. You can stack them up and make table top think portable work space. I used them to hold small pots of plant starts, mostly co-op starters. I also used them quite a bit this summer when I was digging up forsythia. I just put the root balls covered in dirt, in the trays tightly together until it was full and set the tray in the shade. I did the same thing when I moved alot of the plants from the stone wall. Sedums ferns and hens&chicks I just laid them in the trays dirt and all and kept them till I was ready to plant them or give them away.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

They are great. I was using mine today to carry plants around and to sort and carry bulbs. They are also now holding a bunch of soda and milk bottles. Plus, my caladiums are drying in 3 of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.