November Blooms, Berries and Hues

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

There may still be some more Lilies blooming here in Pa this fall. Found this group yesterday.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Last spring this pretty weed was one of the first things that bloomed here. It's now blooming again. Does anyone know what it is?

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Found another Daylily putting up a bloom stalk.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

The Poppy is starting to open.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Another Iris is getting ready to open.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

It's beautiful here today so I decided to take some photos of plants still blooming!

Thumbnail by jfleming
Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

I wish my roses did this well in spring and summer!

Thumbnail by jfleming
Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

I have iris blooming!

Thumbnail by jfleming
Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

Pumpkin pie anyone?

Thumbnail by jfleming
Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

I still have a few hydrangea to cut and dry. They are so beautiful I had to leave a few on the plants.
I did cut about 60 hydrangea and they have dried beautifully!

Thumbnail by jfleming
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Jfleming, the rose in your first photo is beautiful.. Is that a bloom from the bushes in the second shot? Do you know their names?

Your Iris is also beautiful. None of my TB reblooming Iris are reblooming this year, only the SDB's Iris are. I think it's because I really cut back the watering this year. The bed were my SDB's are stays a lot wetter than the other bed, which bakes in sun most of the day.

My voles would love your pumpkins!!! Pay attention and see if any go missing or are hollowed out.

I never bring my Hydrangea in. I'd be happy to give them to someone who wants them. Maybe I should ask the lady at the craft store if anyone would want them. I don't want to cut them yet, they still look really nice. What do you do with yours?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking that if we have very few blooms now, we could also use this thread to talk about things we grow or ask questions about things we want to grow.

For instance, this is the first year that I've grown Persicaria Red Dragon. It's not staying very red. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

jf.... More pumpkin chowder, those pumpkins are perfect!

here is the link incase you missed it. Yummy http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1043752/

Those iris makes my think spring

Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

Stormyla,
I just cut the hydrangea, stick them into about an inch of water then let them slowly dry. Nothing to it! Here's a pic! I'm terrible about remembering the names of the roses but I do keep the tag attached to the bush. I went bonkers this year and just purchased a bunch of different rose bushes. I've never grown roses before so I don't know a lot about them and am learning as I go.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2009 2:40 PM

This message was edited Nov 4, 2009 2:43 PM

Thumbnail by jfleming
Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

Ladygardner1,
Thanks for the recipe. I've already printed it!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

jfleming, Those Hydrangea look beautiful. Will you put them in vases or make wreaths from them? They would certainly make beautiful gifts.

Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

I plan to make wreaths and fill large vases with the hydrangea. They are my favorite of flowers.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I found this Daylily this morning. Couldn't locate the tag with all of the debris. I didn't even see a bud on this. There are 2 others I am watching with buds in another part of the bed.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, I am amazed at how many berries your Beautyberry still has. I checked mine today and almost every berry is gone. Maybe my birds are hungrier than yours. Your shrub is so pretty, you should post a photo of it here.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

If anyone wants some seed from the 10&1/2 foot cosmos .. the seeds are almost ready.. just let me know so I collect enough before chopping it down

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Not much to brag about outside--as far as blooms go--but here is my Thanksgiving cactus in full bloom--again....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And this one is on the shelf by my kitchen door that I NEVER use. It has 1/2 view glass and so things get decent light.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I posted on the Trees and Shrubs Forum to see if anyone could ID what tree these leaves I found floating around outside came from.
So far--I don't think anyone has hit on a positive ID yet......
Here's the link to this Post....Hart--I bet you will know! Must be somewhere around here they came from......

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056314/

Here's a picture of one I found today. This one is not too dried up yet....

Gita

...edited to say that this leaf is about 9"x 9" in size.
NO! It is NOT a maple!

This message was edited Nov 16, 2009 11:48 AM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sorry I am no help

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--according to one of the experts on the Tree and Shrub Forum--this DEFINITELY is a "Londonplane" tree--
"Plantanus x acerifolum".......similar to the American Sycamore.....

Who am I to debate this? Trees and Shrubs are NOT my forte!

You can always go back to the Post and check out any later additions and comments....

Gita

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thought I'd post this photo for Chantel. This Plumeria is about 6' tall. It's been growing in a greenhouse that I visited today. They had quite a few of them this large.

Thumbnail by stormyla

That is impressive! All those roots, so little soil. That is some bonsai !

Would you say it's about 3 foot tall from bottom of pot to top.?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

No, Lady. It's almost 6' tall, well definitely over 5'.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2009 10:32 AM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Guys, That plant is not a Plumeria. The Plumeria folks told me it is a
Caudiciform, Adenium, Desert Rose.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mercy...that's got to be the MOTHER of all Desert Roses!!! If I remember correctly they're slow growing....can you just imagine HOW long that ones been going?!? Hmmmm I seem to remember Plumies and Desert Roses being related....I think...
Stormy, amazing photos! I was wondering why I was still getting blooms on things...odd eh?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ah yesterday was just beautiful and while I was out planting bulbs I also snapped a few pics. As drab and dreary as most of the beds look. There are a few bright spots. As sad as this America Rose looks close up the 10 or so blooms still left on the bush look pretty good from a distance.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The alyssum is looking very good.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The last of the annuals hanging on.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The Lamium "Beacon Silver" is looking very nice and even has a few blooms.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry to say that the Pansy display I was hoping for is disappointing but there are a few pretty blooms. Just not anything like I was hoping for.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

How about a nice mossy rock with some hellebores and heuchera.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This hellebore is flowering nicely has about 3 blooms right now.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A nice brightly colored heuchera combined with a decorative ivy.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This Nandina was just put in this spring and is really putting out the color. I picked it up for $6 at HD and wish I had bought 5 more of them.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Holly those look great, for this time of year! I am afraid this is going to be the end of our nice weather up north. I need to get my boots out of storage, and hat and mittens. Sigh!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.