GH Books

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I've got a friend who is thinking of building a GH... she needs some ideas & considerations for the designing of the structure. I know there's a bunch of books out there on GH construction... any favorites?

Thanks! =0)

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Honestly, I've had a couple, but none that were super impressive in any way. I don't know that you wouldn't be best off going to a library/large bookstore and breezing through their selection.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion?

North of Heber, AZ(Zone 6b)

My middle son sent me a wonderful one for my birthday last year called Greenhouse Gardener's Companion, by Shane Smith. It answers every question I have had about green houses and growing stuff in them, and has lots more info about stuff I have not even thought about. Price printed on the back is $22.95 and worth it! Maybe cheaper on Amazon? Lots of illustrations, too.

My Big Greenhouse is essentially finished but the 7 each 55-gal drums I bought from a neighbor leak, even with plastic drum liners inside. We just finished filling them yesterday and I discovered this morning they were leaking badly. My DS & DDIL finished painting yesterday. Pictures to follow. Wait until you see the color scheme they picked out. Dark green with H-h-h-o-t-t-t Pink trim!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Oh jeez, sounds like the Arab nationals!
What kind of plants is the book oriented towards... veggies or ornamentals?
My friend says she's rethinking her plans... I don't know what she means-is she not getting a kit, going with a tunnel, throwing out the whole idea????

But I'm interested anyhew... got my long bed composted, turned and watered yesterday, so it can mellow til Feb. when I start planting... according to Coleman. =0)

The book covers veggies & flowers -- really is a great book.

Re my greenhouse, I was thinking more the south of the border look -- I sort of expect to hear mariachi music when I open the doors, which my DIL just painted purple & yellow. My son put up yellow trim on the fascia.

Ole'

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

You know Santa Fe made paint jobs like that illegal. LOL There, if you want folk art, you have to buy it at a gallery, not make it yourself. A friend from Holland said the '6 shades of Santa Fe brown' made the town look like a military base. Oh dear... LOL

No joke, someone got taken to court for painting their DOOR purple with yellow and pink stripping... violation of the uniform boring code.

Don't forget a lemon yellow kokopele... =0)

You mean like this?????

Good thing I don't live in Santa Fe!

I promised the kids i'd paint a flowering vine next to and over the door, but a Kokopelli or a lizard would be easier!

Thumbnail by AZgrammie
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Fabu-louss-muss!

Thanks!

I have all the pix downloaded now and will make a new thread on "greenhouse" to post them, starting with the old stable and ending with the finished GH. I hope I can figure out how to group 4 pix together. If not it will be one at a time.

Today we planted it! It is still Indian Summer and should be for the rest of the week. Four small ground beds with potatoes, beets, lettuce, broccoli, onions, and some squash in between them -- supposed to be a variety that grows in containers so won't take up too much space. Then put a few little tomato and cuke seedlings that I had started in the Little Greenhouse, in containers on a shelf. I also moved the dwarf fig in, but left it in its 5 gallon pot.

I left the rest of the tomato plants, both big & little, in the Little Greenhouse. I also left the two dwarf citrus in the Little Greenhouse, to see how the temps in the Big Greenhouse do in the coldest part of winter. If it doesn't freeze out there, I'll plant them in their permanent homes.

Oh, I also transplanted some full-grown lettuce & romaine plants from the small garden -- you never know, they might do okay. My DIL moved 6 full-grown tomato plants from the outside garden to the Little Greenhouse, and 3 of them lived and are doing great. The greenhouse book I mentioned above says that is pretty chancy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.