Cup and saucer vine

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Seeds I got during the round-up,didn't say whether they were white or purple,but maybe since this is the first day they've been open,might take a day or two before there turn purple,what say you?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes, the blooms start out white/green and turn purple. The more direct sun, the quicker the transformation

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep there dark purple now,have several more buds,can hardly wait for lots of blooms at once!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

How long from seed to bloom? what fertilizer do you use for these?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

June to October,been using Miracle grow 15-30-15,and every other week,20-20-20,thought since it is a evergreen vine in Mexico little extra acid would help.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It takes about 5 to 6 months to bloom for me from seed. We have cool nights though and that may affect them

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thtas about how long it has been for me as well.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I love that vine, let me know if it produces seeds. I saved some from my white one, but none of them grew.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Rj
Will do!

I got mine from cuttings about 6 weeks ago. It's grown like crazy, but our nights are getting cool. So I guess I probably won't get bloom till spring?
mj

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Mj
Did you root them in water?

Actually they were already rooted when I got them. Can you root them in water? I'd like to take some as a precaution for winter. We can get rather cold here in the winter sometimes.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I don't know ,haven't tried,maybe someone else will chime in if they know.

I have tried about 4 times to germinate cup and saucer vine from seed. I still don't have a vine. I gave up!

Sounds like me and Purple Bell Vine. I finally got some in a trade, and so far....so good. But if these crash, that's it, I'm not doin it again !

Yes. There are SO MANY other plants I can enjoy more!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well right now there are several blooms on it,very pretty,and it's climbing all over the greenhouse,it has really gone wild!!!!

I do like the pretty purple blooms.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Something I forgot to mention last week I cut a bunch flowers off,put in a vase and they lasted almost a week as cut flowers,never heard that about them before,

Aren't you artistic!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Just lucky I guess!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Bubba, I had direct sowed the cobea seeds- nothing happened, so just forgot about them. The next spring I couldn't figure out what vine was growing- it turned out to be the cobea seeds I had planted the year before...go figure..

That makes me sad. I was germinating in pots and threw it away since nothing came up. I left the last one on my back porch all summer (shaded in afternoon).

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a specific area I dump the failed seed pots in...you would be amazed how many thing sprout up 3-9 months later!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I sometimes reuse the potting soil from failed seeds,and them have them come up months later in pots of replanted plants!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine is still growing in the greenhouse but no flowers yet.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

same here has been flowering up to a month ago.

Mine has taken off in the greenhouse, but no flowers yet. We've been keeping it heating on cooler nights, (is 36 outside this morning 50 in the greenhouse), so maybe I'll get flowers before long. (someone needs to remind mother nature this is FLORIDA)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Gee ,it was only 32 this morning here in Kansas,and dropped 2 degrees since then!
Cold north wind is a blowing as well!!!
Plus we got 4 inches of snow lastnite another inch today!

Yup, sometimes we get darn near as cold as it is up north, just doesn't (usually) last very long.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL yeah but it does here,stays under freezing for days and weeks at a time!
Dropped 6* since I last posted!

Yep. Time for me to go out into the garage and bring in the elphant ear and canna bulbs so they won't freeze.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

There saying 16* here tonight

annnnnddddd that's why I live in Florida ...............................;-)( and I occasionally threaten to move to South America !

Oh! I don't think you would like the mosquitos!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yeah! don't like them here either!!!LOL

Its really aggravating to go out and water and come in and find mosquito bites all over my feet and ankles!

I think I'd deal with mosquito's better than the cold. I am most definitely a HOT weather girl. I'd much rather go out with shorts and a tank top than bundeled up in multiple layers of clothes, and "Off" washes off pretty easy ! Give me the 90's !

I can't stand to sweat. And my body has not seen a pair of shorts or a tank top in YEARS! Ha! ha!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I'm a welder so bring on the heat!!!!
Just started wearing shorts and undershirts this last year.
Had white legs!!!LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.