Fruit trees blooming now?

Mulberry, FL

Hi again could you tell me why the peaches and nectarines are flowering now? Last year when the nectarine came in bloom we had very cold weather. So it never set fruit peach trees did but there all in full bloom now.

Thumbnail by Danasplants
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Did you have a very hot summer, hotter than usual? Sometimes, plants shut down in summer and go dormant due to the intense heat – no leaf loss just don't grow or respond to fertilizer or water. When the weather cools down, these plant will think its spring and bloom again. It doesn't really hurt the plants.

There may be another reason for this, however. If you purchased peach and nectarine varieties that need more chill hours than your area provides, they don't come out of dormancy properly and may exhibit strange behavior. Eventually they will sicken and die. When we moved from California to Texas, I brought some potted mini-apple trees with me. Those cultivars required between 750 - 850 chill hours to break dormancy. This area averages around 600 chill hours a year. The trees didn't leaf out well although they bloomed. For two years, they produced some blooms in spring and again in the fall, but branches were dying. They didn't leaf out at all the following year.

Mulberry, FL

Betty these trees were grown for florida the peach trees were hydridized at florida college so there good. We have had another terrible hot summer we are still having summer like weather now breaking records for high temps. Peach trees and the nectarine are flowering I have a plum too its doing like its supposed to so far. I have a citrus tree buddahs hands I noticed today it has a big flower bud on it. Weather has been so crazy i call the summer that would not quit

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

According to the chill hour map in this link, the number of chill hours in Florida average as high as 660 - 700 to as low as 0 - 50 chill hours in a year. Going by the same map, your area averages from 210 - 310 chill hours. Since those are averages, some years you could get more and in others less. What are the chill hour requirements of the varieties you have?
http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/USDAZones.htm
If the requirement for the trees is around 200 or less then, then the late flowering is more likely due to the intense summer heat, but if it is closer to the 310 number then it could be that they got less than the required number of chill hours last winter. Our county extension agent suggested going at least 100 hours below the lower end of the average temps, barring any late freezes, if I wanted to insure I get fruit every year. Unfortunately, late freezes have killed the fruit/blooms 3 out of the last 5 years in my early flowering fruit trees. The only consistent fruit producer has been my persimmon tree. That is until this year when some of our cattle broke into the yard and ate all the green fruit and leaves off my persimmon tree. LOL.

Mulberry, FL

Betty thats for that pretty neat If I had to pick have to say the heat. We have freezes here I raise plumeria here and every winter I have to put up green house to put them in. . I just bought these last year a couple them come with fruit on them and the others bloomed here. Sounds like me with my mango and the goat that got out and scratched his horns on my little tree lol goats not here any more. Late freezes are what messed me up on my nectarine and plum no fruit last year. I am going to have to do some checking to see what the chill hours are on these. thanks again :)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

My plum trees have a few blooms. I think it was the heat here this summer, much hotter than normal and no cool down at night. I have very low chill plants developed for south Tx (less than 150 chill hours).

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I also have plums in bloom right now. Went from hot to cold very fast.

Mulberry, FL

All my peach are in full bloom and the nectarine, plum is the only one holding out at this point.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.