My Butia Jelly

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

This was my first time to make Butia jelly. And it definitely won't be my last! Most of the recipes I found don't call for enough cooking time (at least not for my fruit but I now have a few jars of delicious syrup I'm keeping that's terrific on waffles!). Also, the ripe fruit from my own tree was not consistent. The fruit from the bract that received the most sun exposure was the most plump and sweetest and made the best jelly while the rest (cooked separatetly because I had some misgivings about it) was thrown out. Even though it was falling from the tree, it did not seem ripe, was tougher and bitter.

Some recipes call for food coloring. I found it unnecessary if the fruit was cooked long enough. This photo is jelly that had no food coloring and was cooked for one hour to obtain the juice, then almost 30 minutes longer with sugar and pectin. And it is YUMMY!!

Thumbnail by jackiescompost
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Very cool! Ed

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

What kind of Butia did you get the fruit from? And how old was the palm before fruiting? That sounds delecious!

It *is* delicious! If I had known how good it would be, I'd have started this a long time ago! :)

Our Butia capitata was planted about 7 1/2 - 8 years ago and planted from a 15 gal pot. The first fruit it bore was four years ago. It bore two bracts. This year we had three bracts which yielded aprox 21-22 pints of jelly. I would have had more jelly but I didn't start collecting the fruit until quite a bit of the fruit had already fallen and dried up before I decided to try making jelly. I've learned I don't have to cook it the same day I collect it.

Thumbnail by jackiescompost

The photo doesn't do justice to the fruit. Looks like the picture got really washed out after uploading to Dave's forum.

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

man I haven't had that Jelly in so long! My grandad use to make it!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow! I have tons of butia fruit right now...please tell me, what is your jelly recipe?

I took several recipes and, after experimenting (I have syrup and decided to leave it that way because it is *awesome*!!), I came up with one that worked with my batch. It's important that you only use the fat, juicy fruit (it must taste good right from the start). Much of my fruit that fell from the tree fell early and was bad. The only fruit I could use was the fruit on the bract that received the most sun. So taste test a few until you are sure you are getting the sweet, tart, ripe fruit. I'm just north of you and all my fruit as fallen so I'm surprised you have any left on your palm. btw, I found I can cook the fruit and save the juice in the refrigerator a few days before making jelly (I didn't go more than three days but it was easier to have it ready for the gelling stage).

Notes: You do *not* need food coloring with this recipe. My cooked jelly came out a gorgeous, dark amber color. I preferred using a long wooden spoon for stirring both the juice and the jelly and removing the foam.

Jackie's Butia Jelly:

5 cups juice
Juice of 1 lemon
1 box Sure-Jell fruit pectin
5 cups sugar

Remove the caps from the fruit (some people don't, but I prefer to do so) and rinse fruit thoroughly. Fill a large pot with the fruit to within two inches of the top (I used a tall, 6 qt pot and another about the same size). Cover the fruit with water, bring to a boil, and then cook at medium for 1 hour uncovered. About 40 minutes into the cooking process, I began mashing the fruit with a potato masher (I found this gives more fruit flavor to the jelly). Let the juice cool. Using several layers of dampened cheese cloth, strain the jelly into containers to go into the refrigerator. Let sit overnight. The fibers will settle to the bottom of the container. When you get ready to make jelly, slowly poor the juice from the refrigerated containers into another container leaving the pulp fiber at the bottom of the first container to discard.

To make Jelly:

In a large pot, combine palm juice and lemon juice, and stir in a box of pectin using a whisk. Heat to boiling and stir in sugar, continuing to stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring mixture back to a boil and turn heat down to medium high. Continue to cook for 25 minutes. Monitor closely so that it does not boil over. Remove foam as it builds or sticks to side of pot.

I then poured the jelly from the pot into a 2-cup, glass measuring cup (this makes it easier to poor into sterilized jars without having to wipe the rims or making a mess). Pour jelly into jars within 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the top. I refilled the measuring cup to continue pouring into jars until all the liquid was in the jars. Seal the lids immediately, invert jars for about 5 minutes, then turn them right side up (I forgot one batch and, when I finally turned them right-side up to cool, I ended up with a lot of bubbles in the jelly). Keep out of draft while cooling.

*Note* If you want syrup, use 3 quarts of fully ripe fruit with 6 cups of water, reduce the juice cooking time from one hour to 30 minutes (simmer), and the jelly cooking time from 25 minutes to just reaching rapid boil that cannot be stirred down (about one minute). Also, I did not mash the fruit during the process when I ended up with syrup. The syrup is definitely worth a try and was terrific on waffles.

*NOTE on Syrup* (I'm appending the above recipe on syrup)

More specific on the syrup - when at the jelling stage of cooking - use 5 1/2 cups of strained juice, 1 box of SureJell pectin, 7 1/2 cups sugar (I found this ratio of juice to sugar too sweet for jelly but fine for syrup).

This message was edited Jul 27, 2014 9:02 PM

Darn. I found another omission from the above for making syrup, so add this to the 'making syrup' section.... cover the fruit during the first cooking stage (when making juice). This is from another recipe and why I ended up with syrup. I hope that's the final omission :)

And don't forget to add the lemon juice to the mixture at the gelling stage with the 5 1/2 cups of strained juice, pectin and sugar.

This is why you will never see a "Jackie's recipes" book... too many editions.

(sigh)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thank you so much! Sounds hard, but I'm sure once I start I'll get the hang of it!
Yes, I have tons of fruit on the ground all around the palm tree and still some on the tree. They're all sweet! I found out they were edible because my dog was eating a bunch of them, lol! So my son and I tasted them and loved the sweet-tart flavor.

I'll let you know how the jelly goes, thanks so much! : )

It sounds hard but it really isn't. Instructions on preparing the jars and lids for sealing comes with the jars. Once you have your supplies ready and begin cooking, you'll see it's not at all difficult and rather fun. You'll probably adapt utensils, pots, etc. to your own preference.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

OK!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Jackie....and when can you start sending some this way??? LOL Looks really good. What kind of flavor is it like?

Kyle :-)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I was really disappointed after I got your recipe, I went there and the berries were done! next year...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.