Over-wintering Caladiums

Emmaus, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi. This was my first year growing caladiums and I just love them. I want to try to keep them over the winter to plant again next year. I dug them up on Sunday and they have been lying on some newspaper in my kitchen ever since. What is the procedure for storing the bulbs and then planting them outside next year? Do I clean them? With water or a dry brush? Where and how can I store them? We have a semi-furnished basement, but it has no windows and is usually around 55-60 degrees over the winter (we don't bother to heat it most of the time). Can anybody give me a clue? I've never tried over wintering plants before, but I just can't accept these beauties are annuals around here! Thanks!

--Steph

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi, Steph,
Sorry its taking some time to get your answer. I am no pro but I did save some successfully last year.
Last year I had some in pots outside for the summer. In fall I just let the pots dry out and then brought them inside my basement. My basement varies from 60 to 75 degrees I guess. I think all you need to do is let them dry, and maybe put them in paper bags, or wrap in newspaper, and put them away. Mine regrew this year, and I recently pulled up the bulbs, wrapped them in paper and stuck them in a large plastic pot along with some other bulbs (peruvian "daffodils") and a zonal geranium.
Then in spring,to start them up, pot them in some moist soil and find a WARM spot to get them going. I have read they really don't get going unless they're warm, like top of refrig.
I hope if I'm wrong someone corrects me!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

irish--

Sally gave you good advice......Caladiums need to be in about 80*-85* to start growing from the corms.
If you wait to plant them outside in--say May--you will have a LONG wait before they sprout--like when the soil gets to be really, really warm.

Therefore----pot them in 4"-5" pots in loose soil--all the way down to the bottom--and put them in the warmest place you have. I can see where a heat mat would come in handy for this.....

I tried mine, 2 years ago, on top of my Water Heater--BUT--the newer ones are so much better insulated that they do not radiate that much heat. it is still a good place to put your pots--as there IS warmth.
Light is NOT necessary--until leaves emerge.

Here's another thing I have heard.....mind you, not a researched fact......Just some info tucked in my head....

The corms have many "nubs" on them from which leaves will grow.
IF you want larger leaves, but fewer, eliminate some of the sprouting "nubs" leaving the bigger, central ones to grow.
IF you want a bushier plant---let all the "nubs" grow into leaves.....The leaves will be smaller--but there will be more of them.

What is your favorite color Caladium?

Mine is the white and green ones and the red and green ones. Don't care so much for the pink speckled ones....

Gita

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Steph, thanks for asking the question and thank you Sally and Gita for the advice :) I'm trying to save mine too but I think I may have waited too long. With all that rain and cold weather we had they were starting to turn to mush :( I've still got a few that look like they might make it although they're much smaller than I thought they would be after growing all summer! Maybe if they make it through the winter I'll just double them up for next year's pots :)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

rcn---

Them "turning to mush" might also be a problem when people plant them outside in late Spring--and then have to wait until July-something before the ground warms up....

If yours don't make it--Wallmart usually sells a bag-full of corms (8 I believe) for $6-something...Get them early for best picks. Make sure none of them are mushy! I check each one by pressing on them gently.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Maybe mine suffered to begin with, I never got them planted until July! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that a few make it. I bought enough initially to "share" with friends but the friends never paid up so I got stuck with all of them :(

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I am no expert, this is my 2nd try. First time I bought Walmart corms, they just got soft, never did grow. Then the 2nd time I got the corms from last years co-op on DG. They grew great in pots, I had them on my front porch under cover that I had to water. I saved corms from them to over winter but I emptied the pots and am storing them in newspaper in a paper bag in the basement. The pot on the deck steps which got rain water grew great, but when I emptied that pot the corms were mushy, this was after a lite freeze and some rain.
I hope they have the co-op again next spring so I can add to my "hope they survive" ones.
Didn't get many pictures, but this is one on the porch.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi guys! And hello Steph! I lifted all of my Caladiums last year and stored them in the mesh bags that bulbs and onions come in. I hung the bags over a pipe in my heater room. I planted the bulbs this spring and almost all of them came back.

Just had a conversation with Bill from Caladiums4less, who supplies our Caladium co-ops. Bill said it is best to remove the bulbs from soil and to store them at approximately 65 degrees, in a dry enviornment. Mine are drying in the garage now. I never wash mine, just let the dirt dry and then shake the bags out before putting them in the heater room.

Keep your eye out in the DG Classifieds for Bill's sales. His bulbs are larger than any others I've seen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.